I think its "hear ye", not, "here ye"

Well, 'Hear Ye' is what the old English Town Criers used to call, along with 'Oyez'...guess you got to have it in the family to understand or live in a 400yr old Britsh overseas territory...

If you want video, there has got to be some somewhere, St. George's Town Crier might flag something, or 'Ducking Stool Re-enactment'
You lot would like that...in the old days women caught gossiping were punished by being dunked in the harbour in a chair on a pole that was operated by menfolk, after having the charge read she was dunked as many times as it took for her to confess and repent...they do a bang up re-enactment, charging all over the town, then ducking by the bridge, its a hoot!

The drunks got tied put in the stocks and had rotten vegetables thrown at them, and there was a whipping post (pillory) too for the real scoundrels...the stocks and pillory still exist, they don't re-enact them though, more's the pity with some of the young thugs in town!

Elephants drop big poops though...

Llamas are often over looked and underestimated for their memories and poop in the same place in each pasture. Easier to avoid or gather aforementioned poop.

I'm just posting nonsense now...

...ye hear...get it? sigh, someone said if its not obvious the I lack the skill of internet nonsensicalism...time for dinner

Aaawww maaan, not only can I not convey it, I can't even recognize it!:|:
Where's the red wine, that goes with spaghetti right?:D

It's interesting what you said Fiona: "More's the pity with all the young thugs in town."

I agree. Makes me really wonder abt our current conceptions regarding the "humane" treatment of chronic criminals. We never cure or reform them with all of the petty hand-slaps that our current judicial systems dole out, and the guilty generally go from bad to worse. Wonder what Darin (Old Monkey) wld say?

we interrupt this speculation on elephants, math, and criminal justice for an important announcement:

"here ye, here ye" is indeed linguistically correct! A panel of experts, who have convened between my ears for a good thirty seconds now, has irrefutably concluded that since "there ye, there ye" would be misleading and wholly inaccurate, Butch's spelling is deemed wholly acceptable, and he shall heretofore be knighted by the queen as Sir Spellingsworthe!

Moreover, it has also been revealed that traditional Town Criers also proclaim "here ye" whilst chasing wenches, as they gesture to their clappers during those pursuits.

The panel has spoken, and adjourned to the pub, for some chasing of their own. Carry On~!

hahaha...what good whimsical, nonsensical voodoo!! I really like "as they gesture to their clappers during those pursuits." I am not sure exactly what that might mean but it reads great.:lol:

hahaha...what good whimsical, nonsensical voodoo!! I really like "as they gesture to their clappers during those pursuits." I am not sure exactly what that might mean but it reads great.:lol:

well i'm no brit but in the movies i see the town criers doing their thing from the bell tower, and the dangling thingy that strikes the side of the bell and makes the noise is i believe known as the clapper. that or it is someone giving applause, presumably with more than one hand, or it would be zen voodoo. so that was a metaphor of sorts, or it could have been a semaphore of mort's; you'll have to ask Mort about that because i'm really not sure so i hope someone can chime in uh huh and sort all this out.

I think you've been spending too much time on Steve's forum.::?

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ROo5P2avPRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL ROFL Guy!

Yes indeed, the dangly thing in the town crier's bell is a clapper, and what might be caught from 'er should he catch said wench and decide alternatives to ducking to correct her ways...oohhh naughty.

Sitting here with a well earned glass of restorative red vintage I endorse the retirement to the Pub to toast Sir Spellingsworthe, and his trustry compatriot Earl Fungibactigall...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
we interrupt this speculation on elephants, math, and criminal justice for an important announcement:

"here ye, here ye" is indeed linguistically correct! A panel of experts, who have convened between my ears for a good thirty seconds now, has irrefutably concluded that since "there ye, there ye" would be misleading and wholly inaccurate, Butch's spelling is deemed wholly acceptable, and he shall heretofore be knighted by the queen as Sir Spellingsworthe!

Moreover, it has also been revealed that traditional Town Criers also proclaim "here ye" whilst chasing wenches, as they gesture to their clappers during those pursuits.

The panel has spoken, and adjourned to the pub, for some chasing of their own. Carry On~!

You're wrong. "Hear ye" meant listen up.

Back