Hiking Thread

The android Osmand program uses openstreetmap data you can download to your phone and use without cell signal. It has a reputation of being better than google for offroad stuff, though your particular trails may or may not be mapped. Dunno what you're looking for exactly, but if you're going so far out you might get lost, it could be worth having for emergency purposes if nothing else.

Doesn't seem too unreasonable, but you'll figure out what you forgot, and what you should have left when it's all over.

I never build a fire, so I'd have no need for the hatchet or the saw, and for the shovel what I carry is a plastic trowel for digging a cathole for poop. Way more rope than I'd carry. Bet you could lose several pounds :).

But all in all, seems a fairly solid list. Everyone's priorities will be somewhat different.

Sometimes the mission can be, go as fast as you can.
FKT is fastest known time for all kinds of routes.
I’m looking forward to Volcano National Park.

John you went out there a while back? Bit of redemption?
haven't been since 2014. Some unfinished bizness out there but I'm keeping options open since the weather is always the wild card. Lite and fast is best especially when trying to bag a summit.

Why no fire? That’s half the joy of camping for me. The hatchet is for pounding/sharpening stakes more than firewood.
Several reasons. I don't care too much for getting all my clothes and gear smelling smoky. I never want to risk a floating spark landing on my stuff, the tent especially. Melting holes in your rainfly is not a good plan :). Of course, wildfire risk is real. I like to be able to study the night sky, look at the stars and moon, the occasional meteor; a campfire kills your night vision.

I'll agree that a campfire can be a nice thing, most especially in a social setting...but we don't backpack or very often at all camp that way, in a group.

Overall, for us a campfire has many more cons than pros. But that's just us.

My stakes are high quality aluminum...never need sharpening, and usually don't need pounding; if one is obstinate, a fist sized stone works plenty well, and I never have to carry it on my back :D. I expect your hatchet weighs far more than my handful of stakes; I'm assuming you are fashioning stakes in the wild.

Last edited:
Avenza is the app we use in the fire service.
Does any body still take a paper map?

I take paper maps on anything over 24 hours in…. the phone can go bad and useless pretty quick.
Llong isolated rides where a break down or bad bail can turn into an exposed camping trip.

unless you’re like a mile from the car then yeah bring everything.

Lime Kiln Farm Wildlife Sanctuary. Sheffield, MA. About 2 miles in 50 minutes. A bit less then my usual 3 mph, but that's my hard surface speed, not rough terrain. I realize these aren't much for hikes compared to what most of you are talking about, but it's a start.

Vista
Glacial relict
Snake that I cleared by about 6 vertical feet when I realized I was about to step on it.

20220620_121149.jpg 20220620_120632.jpg 20220620_120512.jpg

Awww, cute little garter snake. My daughter still likes to pick them up when we find them around here. Good at consuming nuisances.

I'm still doing small hikes when I can get there. Walking around home when I can't. Hit 2.97 mph average today. Most are 1.5-2 miles, looking for some longer trails. There are ton, just have to be careful not to get too carried away, there are some 5-6 hour 5 mile trails near here. Glad I looked them up first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When you take these walks, does it help put your thoughts in perspective about issues you're facing?

Back