Highest paid tree guys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
$225/hr for 2 subs? I think we've got a contender here!

Historically the more northern states in the more highly industrialized areas do have some union influence although quite frankly those numbers are rapidly dropping .New Hampshire has always been New Hampshire with regards to the work force or union influences .

Its amazing how many work trucks around here have New Hampshire plates on them. What it means is all those union guys live in NH for the tax breakes but come here to work for the higher wage.

Hard to tell what's exactly right with Prevailing Wage, but I was told to classify a climber running a saw at "feller/ bucker" at roughly $44.24, whereas someone running an industrial/ commercial sized chipper at $44.03.

My last PW job was done by myself, with a rental lift, which I/ Erik used on two other jobs during the same day. End weight reduction on oaks over a series of propane tanks. Cut, swing out, and chuck was cheaper and easier than rigging. Previous to that, Erik was stoked to make $600 in a day, roughly 2.5x's his normal wage, if my mental math is right. Used a grapple bucket tractor on that one to save $ and time.

Why all of this talk about hourly or daily? Yearly after taxes would be a much easier way to look at it.

That way you could compare contractors with employees.

I don't GAS what someone can make in a day or per hour, it is per year that matters.

In Germany, none of the climbers (subs) would go out for a day for less than $600 a day. I went out for $350 a day. Guess who made the most money by far? Yeah, this guy. I had daily work and often those days were short. I was easily dragging home twice what the other guys were.

I got a call yesterday from the Forestry research center, asking if we could collect grafting stock from select ash trees that are resistant to the fungus, which is killing almost all of them off.
Basically just shoot a line up, SRT up, collect some twigs and rappel down.
We have to drive all over the country to do it, since the 66 trees they have picked out, have to have as much genetic variation as possible.

$70/hr plus paid mileage.

I think that is a good price for something, I'd almost do for fun:D

Stephen, can I borrow your Wraptor for a couple of days;)

Was my first thought Stig... That would be the perfect job for the Wraptor...
It has been doing ponderosa inspection of late... Checking on beetle infestation... Makes me wish I could catch a plane and bring the Wraptor, I would prefer to help start growing some trees rather than give them a death sentence.

All that SRT climbing will be real good practice for Martin, our apprentice.
Hes real stoked about us getting that job.

Stephen, that was my thought exactly. We've been killing infected ash by the thousands these last 3 years, be nice to be the ones to help regenerate the species.

Also I think if the guys from the Forestry research center saw the wraptor in use, they'd have no more use for us:lol:

Why all of this talk about hourly or daily? Yearly after taxes would be a much easier way to look at it.

That way you could compare contractors with employees.

I don't GAS what someone can make in a day or per hour, it is per year that matters.

In Germany, none of the climbers (subs) would go out for a day for less than $600 a day. I went out for $350 a day. Guess who made the most money by far? Yeah, this guy. I had daily work and often those days were short. I was easily dragging home twice what the other guys were.

Truth spoken here...and in this analysis, I am most likely a contender, with my regular as clockwork 40 hour weeks for the USFS :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The subject of this thread gets 40hr+/wk year round. There was just a 36" blizzard here, he got the week in with snow removal and tree work.

Back