Here goes, our big lombardy poplar job

Nice RB.......alll is well? looked like fun. You still swillin margarita's?8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice RB.......alll is well? looked like fun. You still swillin margarita's?8)

I wish.....

Actually, I'm a very light drinker..

Just that the looniest things come out of my mouth and ya never know when...

OK, Burnham took my word - fantastic!!! - I'll use it again anyway. Wonderful clarity and color, superb work.

Thanks, guys....

Boy, we've been busy lately, and I'm selling more work yet!

Working on a job for Sno County Public Works, road widening project. Sno Co hired us to do some trees at 4 different homes. The main contractor was supposed to be handling much of the tree work. Well, Wednesday, their tree guy took out some wires with a rotten tree. So, they hired us for 3 more trees, which is nearly a days work. We worked till 5 yesterday, killed 5 trees, produced 45 yards of chips, three of us. I felled the last stick...forgot my camera bag with my two small cameras in it, wedges and a new wedge pounding axe. Stupid! Even though the lane closest to the work is barricaded off, by the time I drove back out there at 8 pm, all was gone, but the wedge pouch and 3 of the 4 wedges. My guys, also tired, had raked stuff over them... Farking thieves!!

Oh well, the cheapo A710 camera can be replaced for $150, and it didnt work right...the Pro 1 cost me maybe $600..it is no longer made, but I want another like it, as it goes to 28 mm, wider than most, can shoot in Raw mode, and has expensive LD glass like my big pro lenses. Looks like I can get one on ebay for $250 or so...

Today, we killed 8 nice norway maple (they're changing their parking lot, lame excuse I thought....) for a Christian school and ministry. Again, over 2 loads of chips....did other work as well, cheap, but I want them for a client..It has been years since I worked for them. I'm figuring they like us, and will give us all their work now!

The rest of the shots:
2738362645_bea0996490_o.jpg

This shot and the next required some quick thinking and movement to get the sun where I wanted it. Reckon I coulda fired off 8 frames per second, but that's too much editing.
2738362777_ba0be020ca_o.jpg

2739202230_1ff4eb5ee1_o.jpg

Close to 5 feet through at 7 feet up....
2738362911_26ce6d4047_o.jpg

Back up for the last tree..
2739202466_75838d5529_o.jpg

This pick shows the need for two chokers opposed. Mike only owns one 25 footer...2 30's would be better!
2738363079_64ff24e5d2_o.jpg

Mike deftly swung it away from the garage...and not into the shrubbery on the other side. It was heavy, maybe 7000 pounds.
2739202606_57c527f867_o.jpg

I'd thought it would have been better to have cut it one foot lower, but only in consideration of how much the butt was going to weigh. Glad it was cut where it was, it appears! However, the butt was a bit heavy and Mike had to scoot it along the ground to get it closer, then nimbly hoisted it over the house.
2738363227_6f64168654_o.jpg

Rechoking a section after cutting it shorter for the tub grinder
2739202746_c5f6173344_o.jpg

Close quarters, eh?! As you can see, only a crane like Mike's would fit--plenty of room for the front outriggers, only 20 feet for the back, but his rear outriggers only extend out 3 feet.
2739202806_cefe22df45_o.jpg

Bye bye poplar!!
2738363463_555e0da709_o.jpg

Left to right, the customer Herb, looking happy (other than hidden worries about his bank account---all he did was cut some roots, now he's some $20000 poorer when all is finished....trucking..stumps, relandscaping-he's footing that whole bill, apparantly.) Mickey, and the superstar, err cowboy.
2739202982_9d4a4a087d_o.jpg

That's all!! Well, till I get after the video editing.......

_ /2738363463_555e0da709_o.jpg[/IMG]

Left to right, the customer Herb, looking happy (other than hidden worries about his bank account---all he did was cut some roots, now he's some $20000 poorer when all is finished....
Oh lawdy ,to make matters worse the danged stuff isn't even good firewood .:cry:

Oh lawdy ,to make matters worse the danged stuff isn't even good firewood .:cry:

True dat! Don't tell the craiglisters who got nearly 6 cord of it from that job and another recent one.

You got some one to take that stinky stuff? I hated cutting them things hodamm I'm glad they never get that big around here.

Love your photography, bummer you lost some of your cameras.

Thanks for docing and posting an epic tree funeral, Its fun to here guys laughing, and having a good time whilst kickin ass on a what looked like a SOB of a job.

:big-not-worthy: Rat has it right :big-not-worthy:

Looking at these pics reminds me of my youth, when we heard the crane coming down the road to our job we would literally cheer. It meant easy sailin from there on out.... Can you imagine doing it without a crane..:|: Gotta love hydraulics and a good operator:)

Great job from start to finish, hard to coordinate an endevour such as that and still keep the ball rolling on the rest of the business.

True dat! Don't tell the craiglisters who got nearly 6 cord of it from that job and another recent one.
Ha ,I have this amusing vision of eager folks armed with axe,sledge and wedges attacking those big rounds . :lol:

No colder than it gets in that area about two 16" inchers that fat would heat a house for a week .Of course it would take a day to whittle them down to size .

If that stuff is like tulip poplar you can't hardly split it ,green . Dry it falls apart and weighs about as much as balsa .

Ha ,I have this amusing vision of eager folks armed with axe,sledge and wedges attacking those big rounds . :lol:

No colder than it gets in that area about two 16" inchers that fat would heat a house for a week .Of course it would take a day to whittle them down to size .

If that stuff is like tulip poplar you can't hardly split it ,green . Dry it falls apart and weighs about as much as balsa .

Small poplar splits easy. errr.... I hear.....I'll not burn it, I have scruples.

The big stuff all went to the tub grinder.

10 days later, the cubic foot piece I cut is down to 46 pounds from 57....still heavier than the 34 pounds listed on woodweb's site. Dry, it'll prolly drop to 25 or so.

As far as burning .I've burned anything from piss elm to pussy willow .It all puts out heat .

I'm rather selective now days but there was a time that anything that fit though the stove door got cooked except pine .

When I sold the stuff I pedaled the oak and hickory and burned the trash wood during the day and good stuff at night .

In your first post on this page. You mention 2 chokers would have been better.
You are speaking about how the piece tips?

Also Roger if you are looking for a new small camera I can say nothing but good about the G9.
It shoots in RAW & regular format all at the same time.
One can also resize pics with the camera itself.

I have found no other camera the this size for the same money that is as durable & has the same features. I am loving mine!!
It is pricey for what it is though.

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 10
The two chokers coming up on opposite sides of the lead will keep it from tipping and provide for a much smoother, more predictable lift. Also, I always like to use two chokers on big pieces, even if it's not necessary for balance, just a little extra safety measure; redundancy. You just never know.

In your first post on this page. You mention 2 chokers would have been better.
You are speaking about how the piece tips?

Also Roger if you are looking for a new small camera I can say nothing but good about the G9.
It shoots in RAW & regular format all at the same time.
One can also resize pics with the camera itself.

I have found no other camera the this size for the same money that is as durable & has the same features. I am loving mine!!
It is pricey for what it is though.

The G9 lacks a flip out swivel LCD. Canon blew it when they dropped that feature. All the G's had it till now. I had a G-2 but gave it to an arbo bud. plus, it's only 6x zoom and 35 mm on the wide end.

The Pro 1 is pretty darned good at up to 200ISO, LD glass, 28mm wide angle, 7x zoom. I'm already ebay shopping....

edit, there's 20 minutes to go on an A650...same sensor as the G9, but with a swivel screen. 12.1 mp is overkill for such a small sensor...and the camera has a very slow response, so the reviews state. but it shoots the same quality video as my now gone a710--has 4 batteries versus 2, so bigger but will shoot longer....and a bit quicker flash recycle...I paid $320 for the 70 2 yrs ago, and the current model 650 goes for over $300. Bidding is still under $200.....I'll open 3 windows and get ready in the last 30 seconds..that's better than sniping.

Of course I may still want the Pro1, for those times when I don't want to lug the big gun around.

you can use 2 chokers to make a "swede", it both balances the load and allows you to choke a larger diameter piece than 1 choker alone

Back