Generator

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
what other ones were you considering? Honda look nice but expensive

Sorry John, I missed your post.

I looked at Generac, Yamaha, Honda, and a long list of lesser brands. Spent the most time researching these first three and the WEN. Honda is very good, top of the market...but to get something similar in output to the WEN I chose would cost 3 times as much. Yamaha costs twice as much. Generac costs 50% more.

The WEN uses the same 79cc. engine the Yamaha does. Generac, Yamaha and WEN are all built in China. It's a mixed bag there with Honda...some are built in Japan, some in Chinese factories.

One thing that pushed me towards the GEN...it's a US company with corporate headquarters in Illinois. You talk to a service tech in IL if you need help. They maintain warehouse and warranty service centers in Chicago and somewhere in Calif.

Ummmm, Burnham, not wanting to piss in yer cheerios, but Wen has sold cheap shit tools for decades.
Someone recently bought the name and now offers every cheap ass chineese tool made under the Wen name.

When I've bought a generator, there has to be a brick and mortar store with a service department that can fix it when it fucks up.

Simply because a generator only takes a crap when you really need it.

Ed

I ran plug from source through a wire (which goes underground in conduit) to a dedicated breaker in the box. I'm actually the transfer switch , when shit gets bad I grab my Flashlight and start the Generator , then come back inside to throw the mains Off ... Open the breaker and I can run the whole house. I call it "Bahgdad Electric" ...

A while back we did a gig in the U.P. and there was no power up there at the cabin and everybody was running a Honda gen set. And I was talking to some local guys who have 12 and 20,000 hours on their Honda's but theirs are running 8-12 hours a day every day.

Ummmm, Burnham, not wanting to piss in yer cheerios, but Wen has sold cheap shit tools for decades.
Someone recently bought the name and now offers every cheap ass chineese tool made under the Wen name.

When I've bought a generator, there has to be a brick and mortar store with a service department that can fix it when it fucks up.

Simply because a generator only takes a crap when you really need it.

Ed

No worries, my friend.

I don't completely discount your thoughts on it, but I did do quite a lot of research first, not only into the generators, but into WEN as well. I don't think the situation there is nearly as bleak as you paint it. Time will tell, of course.

Last edited:
I replaced a customer owned power pole, meter channel, 2 overhead wires to outbuildings, new service entrance cable and meter channel in one back on labor day week. They ran night and day on a Harbor Fright genny. I told them to go get oil and what was in there was quite dirty. Changed it every 2 days. Ran their lights, fridge,freezer , tv, computer all fine.

All I'm going to say is first they all work no matter invertor or alternator .I have the later 4400 watt ,5000 watt surge .8HP IC Briggs easy spin engine .
You should periodically give it a run else you'll be like me cleaning out fuel lines, changing filters and cleaning out carbs and spend a half a day doing it .During that practicing a vocabulary of profanity .Dump a little Stabil in the fuel for good measure ..

You aren't alone Al, i have to wrench to start wayyyyyyy too many things around here too. Seafoam (original or homemade) or stabil can help, which reminds me i should get some lol

The WEN generator I chose, as well as the other similar ones in that product line, have a nice function...to shut down, you turn a switch from run to off. Off does not stop the engine, it closes a fuel supply valve. The genny runs itself out of fuel in the carb and bowl, then dies, leaving no fuel in the carb. Takes a couple of minutes.

It also has an electrical grounding switch to shut down immediately, so you can refuel or move the unit without the wait.

Last edited:
The WEN 2250/1800 arrived yesterday. I have not run it yet...I'm going to buy a new 5 gallon fuel can, fresh fuel and stabilizer, dedicated for the genny. Test use thereafter.

What I can report is the packaging is impressive. Heavy duty cardboard box with stapled/glued seams, lined with nearly 2 inches of dense closed cell foam, fitted perfectly to the unit.

The fit and finish of the generator itself is equally impressive. I've removed all the body panels and looked it over closely. I cannot see a thing that could have been done better.

None of that proves anything regarding how well it will perform, but it bodes well, at least.

Burnham, just a suggestion.
Get a can of alkylate fuel.
That stuff never goes bad.

I intend on using my chainsaw fuel(before mixing). I make a special trip to get corn free fuel, and it gets circulated through equipment, so it'll always be freshish. Drain the tank when the need is over, and it should be ok.

One thought Burn would be to just cycling out your fuel every once and a while through your rigs and keeping fresh for the genny?

Thats my way.

My retired logger neighbor mentioned plastic cans rob octane over time, per some guy who he thinks knows something about it.

My plan as well, Austin and Sean. But I'll look at the stuff Stig suggests. Probably too expensive to justify, but I'll check into it.

I have wintered my bike with corn fuel. No Stabil. No problem. I did run it down and filled with fresh before storing. This year I filled with non corn.

Not had any problem with my little Echo top handle that is semi retired. Sits for a year sometimes with some corn in it. Fresh fuel fires up and runs fine. Not sure if other states have different fuel or what.

Alkylate fuel is clearly much more expensive an option than I need.

I run through about 40 gallons of gasoline a year, powering all the infernal combustion engines that I use to manage my small acreage. Two small tractors, the DR all terrain mower, pressure washer, air compressor, chain saws, etc. It'll be easy to cycle the stabilized fuel through those after it's been in storage 12 or 16 months, then refresh...assuming the generator does not eat it first, which is not all that likely, most years anyway.

On another note...I'll report how much better than average the operator's manual for the WEN generator is. Very comprehensive. Good pictures. Clearly written, obviously by a native English speaker rather than a translation from something else...and only in English, not the now common 2 or 3 alternate language versions as well.

Back