Friction saver for climbing.

First time for me about 3 weeks ago. Bounce test and all and as soon as I got off the ground I landed right on my back. If I was higher a big crotch would've caught it but I was closer to the ground.

For a spar use a ring and ring...done right it won't slip...can't let the rings get too close. I've done quite a few spars with ring/ring...the leather cambium/friction saver WILL slip on a spar...not meant for choking the spar.

You need one that is adjustable...like this...leather FS's are not adjustable.

Attachments

• IMG_0797 (2).jpg
    IMG_0797 (2).jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 54
  • friction-saverIMG_2055.jpg
    friction-saverIMG_2055.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 54
  • friction-saverIMG_2057.jpg
    friction-saverIMG_2057.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 54
  • friction-saverIMG_2054.jpg
    friction-saverIMG_2054.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 56
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sKEfLm066-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey, MatthewMMeckley! I love your enthusiasm! The video I embedded above is by a guy who has a channel on YouTube, and before that on Vimeo, I think, called ClimbingArborist.com, or something similar. I've sung his praises on this forum before. I think if you go to his Vimeo website and click on the "About" tab, it will give access to a bit of a bio on the guy.

Absolutely every video he's ever made is well worth watching. He's one of my heroes, just like Reg Coates, only maybe even more so, because he was so willing to share his knowledge, starting with the basics, in such a clear and well spoken manner in each of his videos.

I just figured out that YouTube included a link to his own website on its page. Here's the link.

http://www.climbingarborist.com/

And finally, here's a link to that bio I was talking about.

http://www.climbingarborist.com/about.html

If you are not yet familiar with his work, you owe it to yourself to watch a bunch of it. It just does not get any better, in my humble opinion. Good luck, and climb safely.

Tim

Good video. He did the optional variation step at the start to pass the weight bag and line through the big ring before shooting or throwing up the bag/line to an isolated crotch.
This eliminated the step of pulling all the line out of the cube or storage bag to put the throwline tail through the small ring of the friction saver when putting the friction saver on after isolating your TIP crotch with the bag/line.

But in the real world it usually takes several tries with getting the good isolated crotch TIP position with a good chance the line getting tangled up in the small ring while it's laying on the ground. The friction can greatly effect your shot also.

Where he ties the throwline to the end of the rope before the knot is a good preventive procedure to get the rope back down to try a second chance at removing the friction saver if the first attempt is unsuccessful if there is a jam. But this method can cause a serious jam too if the wind or movement was to twist the f.s. sideways or when lowering the f.s. the line gets tangled in neighboring limbs or brush with a tangle in the line.

If you look close at the throw line near the end of his video you'll see he has a tangle in it. Right there perfect opportunity for disaster if that tangle snagged a part of the tree.
Keep it simple and practice makes perfect:)

Wow that is awesome just what I needed to see. i was thinking about getting one of these from Tree Stuff View attachment 59972 or this View attachment 59973

Put the money into a HitchHiker instead. Choke the spar. Don't rely on your rope moving (not pinned by a branch or log) to get down in an emergency. $.02.

I still use my friction saver... for crane work.

Seriously, its important to be good at DdRT and SRT in order to know what it the best way to attack a problem. I never say, "I could use some inconsistent friction from the moving rope rubbing this and that".

A friction saver is very useful for DdRT.

I still use my adjustable friction saver even with the HH. I will choke the stem until I am ready to repel off the stem. Then I don't don't need 3X the line to retrieve my choked point.
I just set up my AFS when I am ready to come down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still use my adjustable friction saver even with the HH. I will choke the stem until I am ready to repel off the stem. Then I don't don't need 3X the line to retrieve my choked point.

What is AFS i'm not familiar with it. Almost all the acronyms i'm kind of not familiar with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Put the money into a HitchHiker instead. Choke the spar. Don't rely on your rope moving (not pinned by a branch or log) to get down in an emergency. $.02.

I still use my friction saver... for crane work.

Seriously, its important to be good at DdRT and SRT in order to know what it the best way to attack a problem. I never say, "I could use some inconsistent friction from the moving rope rubbing this and that".

A friction saver is very useful for DdRT.

So you are saying buy a simple friction save than get the rope wrench? I like Ddrt a lot but I am excited to learn SRT. This thread and forum has helped me a lot. Which friction saver would you advise me to get? Or do any of you guys do bad ass splice jobs?

+1 on the AFS. Looks like they have really taken off. I'm still using one made of 3strand with steel rings. It is awesome and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually have a rigging line on me, or nearby on the ground. I often use a pull-down line to un-cinch my cinched SRT climb line. If I'm on a spar, and using a pull-over line for felling it, I use a munter hitch for rappelling, using my spurs and lanyard as my life support.

Different tricks for the tool bag, that's all.

If I set a pull line, I will often just repel on a fig 8 down the line. But, you will NEVER see me haul a line up just to pull a cinched line off a spar.

Nobody has mentioned boring a hole right through the spar to tie in! 😳

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok.. since I just retired my prussic on my adj friction saver I use quite often and put a new one on, I took a picture.
Small piece of climb line... check
About 3-4 feet of prussic cord... check
A biner with large opening.... check
small ring... check...
Tie prussic into a double sliding fishermans set up... check....
Girth hitch small ring with prussic and tie a klemheist knot with it around piece of climb line. Yupp like a foot lock prussic.. Check.
TADA
Here ya go.. Sure, yes, you can even do this with splices.

Attachments

• DSCF0164.jpg
    DSCF0164.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0165.jpg
    DSCF0165.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0166.jpg
    DSCF0166.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 75
I dont do a lot of spurless but on fur structure prunes and cedars and maples etc it is a good device and use it on every prune i do.

Back