Firewood

This weather is a little tricky how to fire the stove .It might get down to the 20's at night then rise to 45 day time .As such it's load it up at night ,get it roaring then choke it down .In the following morning I'll have 4 inches of coals .From then on until dusk it's just a chunk or so about every hour .
At night on that last fill up I lay down the ash which is bone dry. Then cherry and finally oak which is not as dry as I'd like it .As it burns into coals that boils the moisture from the oak and come morning it's all coals . The fire has not burned out since the first of November .I figure I've got about 6-7 more weeks to go at about a face cord a week .I was done processing firewood about the first of October .

I'm in a different situation than most .I've got approx 7.5 acres of woods land and only need to go 500 feet in any direction to get firewood and it's level ground .A shed full of chainsaws and a home built heavy duty Judy of a splitter that will split anything .When I start cutting it might be a face cord a day or a cord and a half depending on how I feel .It only takes 4-41/2 cords for the heating season but I usually cut about 6 .Last year I cut 8 .
I figure WTH I'm retired and in about a week I'll be 75 years old .I can still get-er-done just not as quickly as I once was .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Time to move it or lose it today. 30+ soft maple, it went over a year ago, edge of the muck ground. Getting to it was a problem, dad got the top out last fall when it was dry.
Today I got the trunk out. Started by getting the 084 & 36" bar out, hadn't ran in 3 years.....wiped the moss off it, fresh fuel and it fired on the 6th pull.
Cut the trunk in 5' pieces, they were all the Bobcat wanted.
Will block and rip tomorrow.
A friend stopped this evening, took a look at the 084, "that doesn"t look like fun".....lol. Its not anymore.

Ed

Attachments

• 20230218_134006.jpg
    20230218_134006.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230218_150729.jpg
    20230218_150729.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230218_150747.jpg
    20230218_150747.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
After 2 days with the 084, I'm a walking piece of shrit. Totally beat, so far I can't take a nap.

Going to look into gettting my 066 rebuilt, needs seals and a piston.

Ed

70cc saw would have been enough for 30" soft maple, and better on you. I'd have used an old dual port muffler 046, or even a new 572. A ported 90cc would be way faster than the 084.

I used a 2100 for a few days logging back in the day. Lordy it was heavy. Kinda like using a sledgehammer to drive a tack.

Last large crane job I did with a crew in Maryland they had an 084 that was hard as hell to start for the three trunk picks (two cuts aloft and the basal cut). Ever since my shoulder rebuild I haven’t been able to start that relic. I made them start it on the ground and by the time I hauled it up for those two cuts I was ready for a few days off!

Last large crane job I did with a crew in Maryland they had an 084 that was hard as hell to start for the three trunk picks (two cuts aloft and the basal cut). Ever since my shoulder rebuild I haven’t been able to start that relic. I made them start it on the ground and by the time I hauled it up for those two cuts I was ready for a few days off!
They should have hauled it up for you. Keep a pulley with you, so they can pull the other end of the rope.

It bothered me to cut up that Maple, 2 good saw logs there. Sadly, they were to big for our mill, its also manual, turing the cant would've been a pita.
When quartering the blocks I had 3 cuts that I had to wedge open.
WTH? Stress? Grain? Never had that before
Started splitting, damn, beautiful ambrosia beetle stain and curly...
We split 36 quarters and there was not 1 piece that split straight. The grain was so jacked up the boards would have been unusable. We didn't try to stack it, threw it in a pile.

Ed

Attachments

• 20230218_134006.jpg
    20230218_134006.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
If quartering anyway, why not halve or quarter the log?

Noodling is easier, but ripping on a 45⁰ isn't so bad.

I put an online classified ad to sell some firewood as my pile is getting too big. Sold a couple loads nice and easy. And then the "special" inquiries started to come in. Where and how much are reasonable questions but are annoying when the ad contains all pertinent info that people can't make their eyes read or their brains retain once it's read. Capitalization and punctuation are things of the past. After a half dozen "sales" that seemed good to go I took the ad down. Nobody's called back yet and I'd only get a half dozen more lookie loo/no follow through if I left the ad up.

It's May long, I'll just keep a bonfire going for 3 days.

Humans make everything worse, don't they? I've thought about selling small quantites of firewood, but don't feel like dealing with people for fairly trivial sums of money. The aggravation would probably outweigh it.

Back