Firewood

He's funny and wants what he wants. Larger diameter favored (all the butt logs) but doesn't give a shit about smaller diameter cut to length ... If it's me I would pack the log truck ... He says he's old and crippled so running an outdoor boiler doesn't think smalls even at measured length aren't worth it factoring for labor.

My favorite wood is the branches that are the perfect diameter, and require nothing but cutting to length. Luxurious!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My fil went out gracefully, told everyone when he was done doing something.
Ain't gonna be that lucky with dad.

Sadly he uses my equipment, not his. At least he can't get in/out of the Bobcat now, so, that is safe.

Ed

This was a big year to get full two years ahead on heating ... usually get next years at least off the stump by December , when tractor is here in summer we are forwarding dry wood (about a log truck plus). This year due to view work we took out more than double that. Sold and traded some but still have two winters at the house ...approximately twice the work , now I can cut and forward green wood next year ...

Sounds like you could make some real extra money having a tree biz there. Even if it was all handwork, it would be worth it at those prices.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Found my next "victim" 3 trunk Ash, stump rotted, went over, 2 main leaders 20" & 16" are off ground. Lucky for me the stump split.
Went out just before dusk, (no picks, light fading fast) took the clearing saw & pole saw. Got a path opened up, will return with the bobcat tomorrow. Push all the crap out of the way and cut the stump off.
And get pics...lol.

Ed

I think I've only got one downed ash left to clean up .This one is rather plump ,a 3 footer .It's up on the branches off the ground so it isn't a rush plus I've got around 9 cords now under tarps .I might not even light the fire until the end of the month . I spent most of the summer as I had time just cutting downed ash from that 5 acres I bought in May .I didn't even make a dent in it .Most of it was small enough the rounds didn't need split .

I've got a big one on the ground,100 foot cotton wood that died and would have became a hazard . My bud Tom who owns a tree service came out and rigged the rope and I was 200 feet away on the dozer to give it a little tug .I'll save some logs which would make better outrigger pads than oak .Oak never gets lighter and will split, cotton wood won't .Most of the rest of it will eventually be firewood .It's not the best but it is BTU's and is free plus that one is about 200 feet from the house .

I've got a big one on the ground,100 foot cotton wood that died and would have became a hazard . .Oak never gets lighter and will split, cotton wood won't .Most of the rest of it will eventually be firewood .It's not the best but it is BTU's and is free plus that one is about 200 feet from the house .
Cottonwood makes pretty decent lumber as well. Scaffolding planks tool. Who would have thunk it was good for something?

I've heard cotton wood which is a poplar is often sold as poplar trim .I will say this though what few of the top limbs I cut up so far ,nearly dry seem as hard as sugar maple .If it's fit I'll probably carve down some more .If not I'll look at it out the east window .

I've heard cotton wood which is a poplar is often sold as poplar trim .I will say this though what few of the top limbs I cut up so far ,nearly dry seem as hard as sugar maple .If it's fit I'll probably carve down some more .If not I'll look at it out the east window .

They used it for framing timber 100 years ago back home, Usually in out buildings. Alot of those sheds are still standing.

I stacked my logs with the loader to make them more difficult to steal. The more portable smaller logs were disappearing. If someone wanted some wood and were prepared to trade some time cleaning out the vehicle cabs or something that would suit me. Shame they have to steal.

I thought about selling small stacks of firewood in front of my house, mainly to make use of the metric shitton of wood I have, and to give purpose to making it smaller. I then thought of people stealing the wood and/or the money, and thought otherwise. The small amounts of either wouldn't matter much, but it would piss me off. Just inviting aggravation into my life that I don't need.

edit:
I also learned this week that the boss' daughter moved to FL for some reason. I have about a cord of wood I cut and split for her under cover on the farm. More for me I guess.

Last edited:
That cotton wood is a split with two mains that are maybe 60-65 feet and 36" in diameter .That's the possibility of a lot of lumber .Not to mention in addition a lot of firewood .Weather I do anything with it over the winter remains to be seen . I wish I had access to a bandsaw mill .I can't imagine ripping that much with a chainsaw .I'd be be lucky to rip a 12 foot log into lumber in a day with a large saw .I've got the large saws but lack the ambition .

Back