Firewood

I've been on a couple jobs where it was used to redirect creeks. Seemed to hold up pretty well.

The boat heat shrink wrap is plentiful around here. Just called up the nearby boat yard in the spring when they were uncovering the boats. It's not very tear resistant, and if I had good access to billboard material I'd use that. But billboards are illegal in Maine thank goodness, so the shrink wrap works for me

Craigslist has a repurposed materials dealer, billboard covers, cargo nets, drums, etc, shipped nationwide.

A WIN-- no legal billboards!

Get real, this isn't rocket surgery...just build a simple structure with open sides, big as your 2-3 years of average use requires, stack the cut and split wood in it, and be happy.

If you are not putting up firewood today that you will not need to use to heat your home until winter season 2023-2024...you are a dumb bunny, in my estimation.

Assuming of course that you were smart enough to put up heating fuel for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 back a couple of years before those years fuel needed to be in your woodstove :D.

I mean, really...if a person who makes their living removing wood, for pay, cannot provide well seasoned top quality firewood to their home, to keep their family warm all winter, every winter...well, WTF.

:D

Last edited:
The vagaries of life B, sometimes that level of planning ahead isn't the smart move. Admirable goal but not achievable for all.

Sorry, Sean...not getting your point at all. But I am old, I do things my way...y'all can suffer under your "vagaries of life", if you must. I think it's smarter to do otherwise...I mean really, we're just talking about putting firewood up, not some huge existential challenge.

Around here, if you split your wood in the spring and stack it so it gets full sun, it will get sun baked plenty dry for burning by fall. I've seen even huge chunks of hickory for big BBQ smokers dry in just a few months of direct summer sun. Storing in the shade is much different though, as I've seen split hickory still appear green in the middle after 2-3 years of seasoning out of direct sunlight.

After this year, I'll probably get a good system and location. This all started with my oak falling, and I was putting piles of wood where they'd simply be out of the way. A lot of those places were pretty suboptimal. I should have enough burned after this season that I can figure out where everything will go. I'm digging the idea of pallet sheds. I'm gonna have to start scavenging siding and stuff out of containers to use for a roof.

I'd like boat wrap around dry on 2/3 pallets, movable to near the door by machine.

My shed, 2 cords
In my field, 1 cord.

Gf got another 2/3s delivery. Supposedly, her she'd has 11 cord capacity. Her shed will be full now.

Attachments

• 20210831_163746.jpg
    20210831_163746.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210831_131451.jpg
    20210831_131451.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210831_131242.jpg
    20210831_131242.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 16305075821783064922478829597229.jpg
    16305075821783064922478829597229.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
Get real, this isn't rocket surgery...just build a simple structure with open sides, big as your 2-3 years of average use requires, stack the cut and split wood in it, and be happy.

If you are not putting up firewood today that you will not need to use to heat your home until winter season 2023-2024...you are a dumb bunny, in my estimation.

Assuming of course that you were smart enough to put up heating fuel for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 back a couple of years before those years fuel needed to be in your woodstove :D.

I mean, really...if a person who makes their living removing wood, for pay, cannot provide well seasoned top quality firewood to their home, to keep their family warm all winter, every winter...well, WTF.

:D

Age and wisdom baby. You can try to beat it but you won’t.

99% of what I it is dead trees, so the wood I cut this winter will be burnt next winter. Green wood might sit 2/3 years before I use it.

Stack it on cross ties and throw a sheet of tin on it, tie it down. Move the splitter to the next empty cross ties. Doing it the easy/easier way takes all the fun out of it but hey, I got better things to ignore doing.

This is my firewood setup:
70 cubic meters in the shed.

Used to be barely enough for 2 winters, now with the climate being so much milder, it is almost good for 3.

Then another 50 CM under a tarp.

My wood is at least seasoned for 4 years before it goes in the furnace.

P1080458.JPG P1080459.JPG

So wood stored in a shed rots at your place.
Must be some climate, you have.

In the shed, eaten by tiny bugs and converted to flour, yes, but that take way more than 4 years.
For rot, the fungi need a good amount of water, either by direct rain or by contact with the ground. Less than the bacterial activity but still, water is key.
But I don't know if saturated humidity would be sufficient or not though.

I don’t have the time to lay it by for four years to begin with. And as stated above, it would be a mess to deal with with all the bugs and such it would have in it.

Woodshed burned down when I was a kid and insurance had depreciated the 2-3 yr old oak firewood as it was older. The agent was fully versed after a call from dad.

Back