Firewood

Where do you get the totes? And what’s the approximate weight when full?
I shop abound for them on craigslist and FB marketplace. If you are paying more than $40 each you are paying too much. The totes will hold just shy of a face cord 4x6' stacked instead of 4x8 stacked. At a guess 1200lbs. My s800tx handles the weight well so it's well within it's tipping capacity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got ambitious (or stupid) today and started skidding dead ash downfall logs for this winters firewood.
88° out today, thankfully not much time was spent with a chainsaw in my hands. My skid route is 80%+ shaded, so that made it tolerable with ice cold poweraid.

Back at it tomorrow, found a nice cluster of 4 ash all piled on top of one another, a little Bobcat time to clear a path and good to go.

Only gonna be 85°, yippee!

Ed

I've been wanting to bring wood home from work, but between the heat, and wet, I just haven't felt like it. I think it's gonna be a busy winter for forestry stuff. More things to do than time to do it.

I've started mine , have some cut split leftover from last year , got everything else fo this year off the stump in February (which was a chore shoveling out the butts) ... my heart isn't in it when it's hot and humid

I’ve been thinking about getting started cutting some for this winter. That’s as fas as I’ve gotten so far...have got quite a bit drying in piles. A little worse on chains, but better than all green wood.

I have a ton of wood here, but only ~.75 cord under cover. I usually stock my front porch with wood from work, and then bring wood around I already have here as it gets depleted. Been slacking this year. Front porch is mostly locust, and a bit more to add, but I want to get some of the oak I have stashed at work.

That's a nice looking setup. I should do something like that. My stuff's all exposed, and with the humidity/lack of sun, most of it doesn't dry that well.

This is only stacked so tightly because it's going in, in layers, and the outer layer was dry in the field, so not spaced for air flow.

You might investigate pallet-building wood sheds.

My neighbor does his with very little new materials, as he has metal roofing. Our mutual neighbor has a hydroseeding biz, so tons of excess pallets are available to us.

His former employee build a bunch of things.

A repurposed-pallet sawbuck is useful if you burn smaller limbs, and have time.

The day from hell today.....damn near 90° heat index and no wind.
Took the Bobcat out and cleared a path back to the trees, soaking wet from sweat by the time that was done.
Returned with the tractor and started pulling tree length. First 2 were utility poles, brought out and staged next to the field.
Number 3 was bigger, lots of brake steer to stage it, got it done.
Last one got me, l could pull it straight but the tractor didn't have enough ass to turn with it.
Stopped, cut off a log and hauled it to the landing.....then l could skid the rest out. Cut log 2, off to the landing....then rain.
Sat in my deer blind for 45 minutes drinkin' beer til it quit and headed for home.

Got to the south road (250 yardssouth) and the road was barely wet, wtf???
Less than a 1/4 north road was bone dry...wtf???

Beginning to think mother nature hates me.

Pic is of the last tree.

Ed 20210822_151031.jpg

After they are out of the woods l'll cut them into logs. Not enough room to skid them to the landing with crops in the field.

My landing was empty Saturday morning, the weekend haul piled and ready to block then split.

Ed

Attachments

• 20210823_182345.jpg
    20210823_182345.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
Nice firewood logs there. Seems like I always get ginormous and/or gnarly logs that are a pita to take apart. Guess it's my own fault, but I can't leave usable wood just lay there.

I've gotten snobby with the wood I bring home only the straight and medium sized prime oak, maple, hickory, and ash (if there is any more left).
Right in this camp with you. All the rest gets dumped on the corner at the "You buck it, You truck it" Goodman and Cole wood lot for the neighbors. Aint gone by winter, I torch it all.

Is that boat plastic the rope of thing that boat shops send to the landfill?

I could use some of that.

I was wondering about repurposed billboard material, too. Anyone tried it?

I have some billboard tarps, they are heavy as can be and last surprisingly long. That would work for a roof over firewood.

Back