Eastern White Pine - Turning Brown

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is about the best I can do for a pic. They're hard to see due to camo. This is a branch that blew out of the tree, and is completely infested. Look at those galleries! EAB isn't even that thorough. They're 1mm-2mm long.

IMG_20240701_082105648.jpg

Ok, I think this is probably my last question regarding this tree. Are there any special considerations to take into account for removal? Is a beetle killed tree weird in any way, or is it just a dead pine with dead pine characteristics?

Also, should anything special be done with the debris? Is the damage done as far as neighboring trees go, or can I make things better/worse depending on how I handle it. The options I'm considering are burn it over time as firewood both inside and out. Mill some of it for beater construction projects. Chip it, and spread it where I can get rid of chips. Any or all options are on the table depending on my mood at the time. I'm also thinking about leaving spars standing, and trying cut bird and/or bathouses into them.

Is any of that a bad plan with regards to spreading bugs? I want to wait til it gets crisp out to deal with it, cause that's the best time for trees, but I may get impatient and start earlier. Can't say til it happens.

I really don't know the "proper" answer John, but among my tree peeps here in the northwestern Cascades, the prevailing opinion seems to be that if the beetles are at sufficiently high population numbers to cause mortality in seemingly healthy specimens, especially in very short time frames, then there is nothing you can do with the wood that would make matters worse.

On the other hand, if you have another pine tree close by that so far seems to be doing well, I'd be loath to keep the wood from the dead tree around. Seems like the healthy one would be an awfully tempting target for the beetles to jump to after the current host is no longer at hand. But that's just me noodling about it, and is somewhat at odds with what the foresters I asked about it think.

SOP here with Bark Beetle kills is to remove the tree and dispose of the wood as quickly as possible. Do not let cut pieces lay around, as the beetles will evac for better, live trees.

If nearby conifers begin to show distress, cull mercilessly. Immediately dispose of the wood as far away as feasible.

Trying to figure it out. I'm on a 1ac suburban lot, so disposal by burning is problematic. Trucking it out seems irresponsible. A UMD page says this...

"Trees that are to be used for firewood should be striped of the bark, or tarp the logs with the bark left on. Sprayed logs should not be used for fire wood."

I wonder if running them through a chipper counts as debarking? For logs, I could buy a debarker if I thought it would have further use, or just a big tarp.

On the surrounding pines, if they dont look like they have been hit by buck shot (little holes with pitch coming out), you can use Imidacloprid. Like Merit by Bayer. I prefer liquid form. Systemic and thristy trees suck it right up when watered in. Merit is pricy. Monterey makes a Borer and Feed that is less pricey and works well. I mix it right in a five gallon bucket and water it out between the root crown and drip line. Then hose that area till the "milkiness" appearance is gone. I would dose them now and in May. Then once a year in May. If the trees look like they have been invaded hard, slay them and chip and cover. Like you mentioned, if you spray it, no burning for firewood. The basic rule is, the more you process the wood, the less population of survivors. So even splittin counts.
Those bugs are horrible fliers. Cant fly far. Dont prune any pines around them in weather over 72* F. If you have to, use sealer on the wounds. The turpine from cuts and breaks is a dinner bell.
Watch the root crown for turpintine beetle as well. They often move in right after the pine bark beetles. They are death blow as well. Water and fertilization will help healthy trees fight back.
Mulching, fish emulsion and some super thrive are your friends. As well as water.

Back