DMM Captain Hook

Hmmm, been scanning these captain hook threads from time to time...usually I manage with my long lanyard, but sometimes im thinking, if I toss my lanyard over there, how do I get the end back...never really twigged till now how a captain hook would fit into the equation

I use mine as and when needed. It comes out of the truck.

I love doing multiple trees with it. If I am deadwood I g I tend to base tie the first tree and deadwood one side as I ascend. Once I get to the top I use the tail of the rope with the cot hook and throw to the top of the next tree. Then leave it there and deadwood on the way down. Once at the bottom limbs I just clip the pantin in and ascend the tail of the line to the next tree. If I feel the need I will put something on the line to capture progress. Otherwise just ascend, pull line through a suitable crotch for redirect and then through the tail to the next tree.

Rinse and repeat.

Obviously you have to plan the throw and descent to try and keep rope lines nice and clean. But I find it a really efficient way to to multiple trees in an avenue type situation .

I've been eyeing these since they came out. Doing view work on mature spruce where the spacing is just out of comfortable swinging range. How does the hook like 1.5" branches?

They love them, as long as they will hold the load you are putting on them. You just can't ever rely on it for life support.

Hook loves 1.5 inches as long as you can love it - close to stem, tenacious enough wood fiber/strength.

Yes, trees you could almost swing to or would have to descend further than preferable to swing over, that's a place it shines. Since it's not life support I'm always judging, if things went bad, would I be willing to take that swing back to life support tree? Foot ascender on hook line and you can cross over a pretty flat angle.

Fiona, on your quandry for getting a line back to you - are you aware of the Mag Throw Bag? Or for sub 4inch limbs, the Mooring Line Head you could use on a pole hook?

I've got a Stein collapsible hook, very useful...but I've pulled two of them apart already, and to be honest it gets stuck in things when its on my harness and I'm moving about the tree...

Dang, what a thread. I needed a grapple hook today. Don't own one. So I was forced to inchworm/hump up an adjacent hard leaning tree, felt like a dope doing it. Got it done but dang, I gotta look into getting a hook. Woulda been perfect today

But cory, if you get one, you too can climb like a weak, inexperienced climber like me! :P:P:P:D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously tho, in the right experienced hands (aka yours) i think you would appreciate it and be able to work that much faster. Hell, just on pruning jobs the ability to pull limbs to you so you can make a cut (or tie off for rigging) makes it worth it. But the ability to move horizontally without losing that much vertical is a big game changer in spreading trees, especially for a sloth like me!

Oh, that sounds like something I've seen somewhere... I think it was amazon. I don't know how good they'd be for treework, but maybe? They're cheap enough to try, but I wouldn't risk anything important on them. I found them when I was mulling ideas of self rescue if I fell off a bridge beam.

Right on 09!!!! :rockon:

The DMM hook looks nice but wouldn't something with 3 or 4 prongs be better?

A grapple has its place in some situations like what Reg showed. The Captain is better for various different uses simply because it gives you more options and if you make a bad throw you can get it back out. It can be really tough to get a grapple back.

For some uses yes, for some imo no. The way i use it is often just a temporary line, and i won't need to go that far to retrieve it. It's the closest thing I've ever come across to spiderman's web thing, shoot it over, use it to make a move or a cut, then retract it :lol: The full on 3 prong one i don't think you can remove as easily, where as the fishing hook single style can do both (set and remove).

So the dmm fishing hook style, if you're only going to buy one hook, is recommended?

Btw, I guess the hinge at the point of attachment on the dmm must be key in helping it grab what it is meant to grab

Last edited:
I think you would do well with any of the current single 'hooks' on the market but the Captain is of typical DMM quality and as such, beautifully made and well thought out.

I don't use mine very often but it's invaluable for certain tasks. Cabling, chasing Deadwood, end weight reduction, view pruning, etc
A bit pricey for what it is IMO but if you can pick one up on sale I'd pull the trigger.
Mines on an 8mm double braid with some HRC and a little thimble to tend. 50ft is plenty. The thin line throws well and once it gets hard on the hands use the foot ascender.
Buddy of mine made some with old ladder snaps. He gave me one to try but it's just been hanging on the wall. Seems like it would be effective, maybe a bit hard on thin barked species.

Whats a ladder snap? The flys on an extension ladder that hook on the rungs

A big ass captive eye carabiner or big rope snap that snaps over a ladder rung or rebar for fall arrest or prevention.
I used to use one to stow bigger saws on my saddle when climbing.

Oh, yeah I gotcha. Yeah lotta guys used to use those to hold their saws.

Yup, but it was quite common here awhile back

Back