Decluttering

I hand sharpen, but there comes a point I can't be bothered as the teeth get shorter and there's more fiddling, hang it up and look at it thinking why don't I just chuck it, but ya know, can't.

The diminishing returns curve.
This applies to my metal recycle pile as well.
And other clutter.

Speaking of metal recycling, I have quite a bit in several piles around my back yard. I really need to either load it up and take it in, or else find somebody to come pick it up. And soon.

If you keep Steel from rusting makes nice additive when pouring concrete ... once saved a full fish tote of bars , chains , and files. Was worth five bucks , IF taken to Springfield Mass.

Right now, scrap prices are back up again. Just before the Covidiocy (over-reaction), steel/light iron was down to a 0.01 and aluminum cans/foil had dipped to 0.20/lb. Now getting 0.08/lb for light iron and 0.60/lb for aluminum (peaked about 3 months ago to .075/lb). Filled my pickup w/both 2X recently and got almost $220.

my grandfather was a multi millionaire. he spent the last few years of his life sleeping in the guest room because his bedroom was too full to walk in. you'd never know it from downstairs.

I definitely have a tendency to collect way too much stuff. it's especially damaging when I can't find things because the clutter. But all the stuff takes mental energy, slows me down, hurts creativity and self esteem.

I've got issues. always been that way. guessing it's from a former life in the Irish famines
Just when you think you think he can’t be any more stupid…

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Doh, I'd forgotten this thread.

But it is good stuff. I still work hard at jettisoning non important stuff and it gets easier with practice.

But there is still that "dimes holding up dollars" urge as Kyle mentioned. Like keeping 5 mostly empty cans of WD-40; they are aren't full enough to use at odd angles so my pathetic plan is to buy or repurpose a small, empty pump-spray bottle and then spray the remains of the 5 bottles into the one bottle to avoid throwing away cans that still have 5% remaining in them.

:|: :|::/::/:

Geez just typing this is making me question my sanity

But it is good stuff. I still work hard at jettisoning non important stuff and it gets easier with practice.

But there is still that "dimes holding up dollars" urge as Kyle mentioned. Like keeping 5 mostly empty cans of WD-40; they are aren't full enough to use at odd angles so my pathetic plan is to buy or repurpose a small, empty pump-spray bottle and then spray the remains of the 5 bottles into the one bottle to avoid throwing away cans that still have 5% remaining in them.

On my house stakeout jobs, I always inspect the treasure box for good stuff. Whoever marks utilities out there throws away cases of used spraypaint. Well, their idea of used is far different than mine. I've rescued almost 24 cans of paint at a time on some occasions, and many times get a handful. There isn't a lot left in the cans, but it's enough to get real work done, and I wear ACUs, so I have plenty of pockets to carry paint. Last year most of the paint I sprayed on the road was found paint.

All of which is to say, I think it's perfectly sensible to empty wd40 into a spray bottle. It's basically free since you can't use it otherwise, and you're making something out of nothing. You can buy wd40 by the gallon, and skip the small cans altogether.

50/50 acetone and atf fluid, you'll never buy penetrating oil again, mason jar and a chip brush for applying. A section of brake line with your finger (like a straw) over the end will apply it to tight spots wonderfully too.

Tip up side down, and slowly drill a hole in the bottom lowest point of the cans, then maybe one in the top too to help the stuff drain into your spray bottle. I just keep it in a jar and syringe it out and apply with a blunt tip needle. I've washed magnesium dust out of Chinese kit saw bearings with WD40 from a syringe.

It isn't that complicated. Just spin the nozzle and rotate the can until you can spray out liquid. The pickup tube is slightly longer than the height of the can so it bends and goes to the bottom edge of the can. You just have to spin the can until it is at the lowest point.

I was just going to spray it out of the cans into the bottle, there's enough in the cans that they will still spray when held vertically

50/50 acetone and atf fluid, you'll never buy penetrating oil again, mason jar and a chip brush for applying. A section of brake line with your finger (like a straw) over the end will apply it to tight spots wonderfully too.
You've mentioned that mix before. My main use of the WD is to lube the axle/bearing that holds the basket to upper boom on my terex bucket truck. The manufacturer should definitely have put a zerk there but they didn't so you have to use spray lube. The basket "ratchets" during self leveling movement, it's very annoying. I tried 10 different lubes and WD seems to work the best but doesn't eliminate the problem entirely. Maybe the 50/50 mix would work!

Could I put that mix into a spray bottle?

You can, but it seeps so well its surprisingly hard to contain. I had it in a new us made oil can and it leaked out the bottom seam, and it's attempted epoxy repair, need to braze or solder it or something. They do make refillable spray applicators that would probably work, but a chip brush will do the same job for less, and you won't be breathing it as much. I'm not sure if it would work in a spray bottle, acetone is a powerful solvent. If you need it applied where you can't get to get a small length of metal tubing and use that as a dropper. Try it, it'll likely work great. You can also adjust the ratio of oil to acetone to dial it in for what you need.

I'm psyched to try it! If it nukes the ratcheting effect I will be forever grateful. The head mechanic for bucket trucks where I take mine for inspections etc says they all ratchet soon after they are put into use, as mine also did.

Where do I get acetone?

WD 40 can run out of propellant sometimes leaving you with a good bit left over in the can. That's only half the reason why I drained a few ounces out of a big can. The other reason was that it sprays out as a relatively weak and very foamy stream. I wanted a non foamy high pressure jet for rinsing bearings.

I was just going to spray it out of the cans into the bottle, there's enough in the cans that they will still spray when held vertically
Waste of time and effort. Just roll the can while spraying to figure out where the pickup line is, then twist the nozzle so it works. I find it amazing and baffling that everybody doesn't already know this intuitively.

But I also am the type to unscrew the cap on the ketchup bottle and use a butter knife to get another 1-2 ounces out of the bottle when it quits squeezing out. I paid for 22 ounces, I'm not throwing away 4.

Waste of time and effort. Just roll the can while spraying to figure out where the pickup line is, then twist the nozzle so it works. I find it amazing and baffling that everybody doesn't already know this intuitively.

But I also am the type to unscrew the cap on the ketchup bottle and use a butter knife to get another 1-2 ounces out of the bottle when it quits squeezing out. I paid for 22 ounces, I'm not throwing away 4.
It's too inconvenient unless you can use it at that particular angle. Otherwise you run out of propellant in the mean time. I often have trouble with starting fluid cans that aren't nearly full. I have to shake while spraying, or tip up & spray to prime the tube, the tip it into the intake and spray whatever the internal tube held, and repeat.

It's too inconvenient unless you can use it at that particular angle. Otherwise you run out of propellant in the mean time. I often have trouble with starting fluid cans that aren't nearly full. I have to shake while spraying, or tip up & spray to prime the tube, the tip it into the intake and spray whatever the internal tube held, and repeat.
Many spray cans will have a small black mark on the top rim. That is lined up with the pickup tube at the bottom of the can. Aim your nozzle in line with the black mark and as long as you are tipping the can forward slightly you can spray until it is empty. If you need to spray in an upward direction, turn the nozzle opposite the black mark.

Long as this thread has (d)evolved into a minimalistic angle re how to get the most out of the least- I never wash my trucks but I keep them blown off after every job and when pollen or mildew etc accumulate I remove it all with Windex and a rag. It cuts like a knife thru all grime etc and leaves the trucks looking shiny. I just cleaned my hardhat liner with it.

I don't wash trucks ever, but I'm not doing a business with my name on the side. If that were the case, they'd be cleaner, but still not spotless or anything.

Back