Decluttering

I like to compare chains and stumper teeth as dimes holding up a dollar. Use them and use them up, kick to the curb, rinse and repeat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My job is to restore trashed neglected chains into like new performing chains by hand filing.
That's very impressive but why do you hand file those chains instead of using a grinder?

I would like to resharpen hand saws too, but most probably have hardened teeth except for the expensive ones that are designed to be resharpened like silkys
It can be either way, and cost isn't an indicator. All my arborist saws have hardened teeth, but there's others in the same price range that can be resharpened. I got a silky feather file to sharpen my carpenter saw. It was pretty expensive($35), but it's a really nice file, and works good getting those little teeth.

What's your chain arrangement exactly? Do you get beat chains, then recondition and sell, or are you doing this for a company?

edit:
For hardened teeth, you might want to consider this...

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Kanzawa-Japanese-Diamond-Sharpenner/dp/B074P51CJ3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=silky%2Bfeather%2Bfile&qid=1630843277&sr=8-1&th=1

I saw this when I was shopping for files, but I'm distrustful of impregnated sharpeners like this. Reviews are somewhat mixed, but some people are idiots, and might have been misusing it. It's fairly cheap, so worth a gamble if you're interested in sharpening hardened saws. For non hardened teeth, I stand by the silky file. If I ever wear it out, I'll get another without considering other options.

edit2:
This is the silky file...

I might have misremembered the price. Checking amazon and wesspur, it looks like they're in the $40s range. This is the cheapest I've seen looking at a couple sites.

edit3(!):

I'm giving this waaaay more attention than necessary, but I just dug up my old invoice, and I paid $30.58 from TreeStuff this past May.

Last edited:
Kyle has it right. Dull chains are worth sharpening but rocked chains aren't, if it's your only chain then yes. IMO dull stumper teeth aren't worth sharpening too much time and health risk to make it worth it.
Burn it up, throw it out, and run some fresh.

I once took home a bunch from the ski area , true mixed bag for size and worthitness to file. Probably fifty chains maybe fourty got filed ... still a time consuming recycle , speaking of worthitness

Carbide and silica if using a green wheel. Just carbide if using a diamond, ABN, or CBN wheel. Heavy metals and all.

Those green wheels are deadly. I have diamond but don't use them much, bought a stack of teeth from a place closing down years ago and still have some left so it's been use and chuck them out for me.

Last edited:
That's very impressive but why do you hand file those chains instead of using a grinder?
I do it for one tree company, it is more convenient and quicker to sharpen on the saw, and swapping a chain usually doesn't take long. I don't have a grinder and haven't seen that grinders are much faster, but they are easier on the body. I've had issues in the past with the quality of operation of grinders, but I might still get one. I've just been considering the design of a portable grinder box that opens with the grinder stored inside, and functions as a dust collection hood with a fan and possibly filter too on the back. Something that slows down grinding is retouching the teeth after a heavy grind to grind off the tempered surface, and changing wheels & angles for depth gauges.

I do it for one tree company, it is more convenient and quicker to sharpen on the saw, and swapping a chain usually doesn't take long. I don't have a grinder and haven't seen that grinders are much faster, but they are easier on the body. I've had issues in the past with the quality of operation of grinders, but I might still get one. I've just been considering the design of a portable grinder box that opens with the grinder stored inside, and functions as a dust collection hood with a fan and possibly filter too on the back. Something that slows down grinding is retouching the teeth after a heavy grind to grind off the tempered surface, and changing wheels & angles for depth gauges.
I have always filed my own chains but I'll be damned if I file chains used by some idiot who keeps grinding away with a dull chain until it simply stops cutting. With mine I can touch them up with 3 strokes per tooth. When an operator doesn't sharpen his own chains he will use the saw until it stops cutting, regardless of how many rocks or nails he hits. The chain gets heat hardened and is way harder to sharpen until you cut through the hardened layer.

Grind then file, unless you have a decent grinder.

You can buy a shit grinder for $30 to start rocked teeth, without overheating, and finish with a file.

You can get a decent grinder for $3-400.
A great grinder for $800-1000.

In addition to time and wrist strain better applied to production, good files are not cheap. The grinder doesn't dull.

What Brian said! Keep it sharp always. I can put a like-new edge on a small saw in about a minute or two. Even the 36" is less than 5 minutes. I haven't used a grinder in 20+ years. If a chain is nicked bad enough to need a grinder to fix it, then it's trashed and replaced.

Exactly!
Gotta figure the price of a new chain compared to the time it'll take to sharpen a seriously rocked one.
Filing cost time which equals money, whether it is done in the woods or in the shop.

I've never rocked a chain bad, and I'm pretty bad about sticking it in the dirt. I've had a couple bad teeth, and I just give them about the same file strokes as the good teeth, and wait til they catch up. It spends a bit of time being a semi skip, and then works fine. I sharpen every tank of fuel doing hardwood; maybe just a stroke. Sometimes I do really filthy wood, and it quits cutting well before a tank's done. I'm getting better with that by adjusting cutting technique.

Saw shop here runs about 7-10.00 for grinding rocked chain for me. If it has enough tooth left. Drop off, pay and pick up. New chain costs me more and my time is money.. always have back up new and sharp chain.
Now, if it's my square ground chain, my baby on the Silvey. Sharp chain makes money, dull chain costs you. If a groundie can't be bothered to sharpen his appointed saw, he aint worth my time either. They usually follow suit when they see how fast my sharp saw dismantles wood and want to keep up. Ones that don't, never get a saw, drag dat brush and feed the chipper. Or bye bye. Pick your battles accourdingly.

I hand sharpen, but there comes a point I can't be bothered as the teeth get shorter and there's more fiddling, hang it up and look at it thinking why don't I just chuck it, but ya know, can't.

They're good stump chains, or maybe use them for yard trees you suspect are full of metal. I always have enough trashy stuff to cut to use up a chain. Policy dictates at least one tooth has to be missing to consider a chain "done". Sometimes I push them much longer than that. Doesn't take much to cut vines, so I use spent chains and old bars on that.

Back