competion for 0$

Naturarbo

Naturarbo
Quoted a job for 8k. dismantle and fell of 75 pines.After all agreed and a 2nd visit to site for last details, the owner calls 2 days before job starts and says someone is gonna do the job in exchange of wood.
Job lost to some gipsys.No problemo.
Should have charged to quote stupid me.
This makes business very dificult around here.
Now the owner wants to talk to me.
What to do if he wants the job done by me?

Yep on the contract. Big job like that get one signed. And consider a deposit....I have not done that with trees yet...but in our x-ray business, we get deposits to lock someone into their decisions...with the line that says:

"Because our vendors' and manufacturers' policies concerning deposits, transportation and stocking vary, deposits may not be refundable in case of cancellation by customer. Balances not paid when due are subject to late/interest charges."

I require %20 down payment on accepted quotes $2k and above. Saves some headache but also adds more tracking and billing...

Get a deposit, for sure with this guy. I aint know nothin about begin bonded

If you take a deposit, a bond means that even if you don't finish the job, there's money there to cover another contractor to finish the job. Without a bond the homeowner/ customer has no recourse if you walk. If you don't accept money till the job is done, you don't have any of their money, so if you walk nothing bad happens to the customer. People always ask if you are licensed and bonded, while very few actually understand what that means. I have a dba, and am legal to do tree work, but here there's no "license " needed for tree work so i can't even get one, and obviously I'm not bonded because it's not needed or required. Bonds are a huge deal in construction where down payments are used to buy materials and make payroll, but for a small tree outfit they aren't needed.... until you start taking deposits. The laws in your state/ location may be different too.

If you take a deposit, a bond means that even if you don't finish the job, there's money there to cover another contractor to finish the job. Without a bond the homeowner/ customer has no recourse if you walk. If you don't accept money till the job is done, you don't have any of their money, so if you walk nothing bad happens to the customer. People always ask if you are licensed and bonded, while very few actually understand what that means. I have a dba, and am legal to do tree work, but here there's no "license " needed for tree work so i can't even get one, and obviously I'm not bonded because it's not needed or required. Bonds are a huge deal in construction where down payments are used to buy materials and make payroll, but for a small tree outfit they aren't needed.... until you start taking deposits. The laws in your state/ location may be different too.
So, no business license?

I'm registered, but you need a license for only particular trades here, such as electrical, roofing, plumbing, etc. I went down to the courthouse and was educated on the spot lol.

I'm surprised they didn't just take your money and give you a slip of paper.

I don't know for sure, but I think in TN you need a license, insurance, workman's comp insurance (which requires 30% of what the employees are paid), and who knows what else, probably various tax accounts.

Insurance wise we need that too, and more for taxes etc. And i did pay money for the dba thing.

Get a deposit, for sure with this guy. I aint know nothin about begin bonded
I'm required either way.

Suppose I tell someone $1000, don't finish it, and everyone else says $5000.

I believe a surety bond will pay to have the job completed, pay company 2, and chase me for $5k. Not positive.

Our municipality (but not the state) requires bonding in order to get a business license.
It costs me $100/year for a $10,000 surety bond. Never used it, but some bid requests require license, insurance, and proof of bonding.

Back