quote valid for???

I write that into the quote.

It depends on the work.

Like when bidding on winter logging, I'll write till the trees leaf out.

What happens when you are booked for a few months? I wonder how far out some people will get booked before they stop quoting or quote high to either compensate for future chane or reduce the number of new jobs?

Like now, when I'm booked year out, I raise the price to scxare them away, unless it is repeat clients.

If I'm starving, I lower prices.

Don't everybody?

I have only give about 3 estimates since the middle of summer since I'm booked out til after Christmas. Those were very good repeat customers that I don't want to loose. I generally give 15 to 20 estimates per week.
If I can't get to them in 30 days I'll tell them that I'll honor the price when I can get to them assuming nothing has changed. If they add work or add a sprinkler system or shop or anything else that inhibits my work then the price will be adjusted accordingly and fairly when I do the work. I give one free estimate per job. If I give an estimate then they call back later and have changed the work order then its $50 per additional estimate for the same job. That's if it's in my area. I can't spend my time running the roads looking at the same job over and over for free.

Last edited:
I usually honor my estimates regardless of time. The amount of estimates that go past a reasonable amount of time is pretty rare.

I honor my estimates to the scheduled date. If they need to reschedule for weather etc, still valid as I agree to do the work. If the reschedule is my doing (my fault) I will honor the price at the new scheduled date.
If they cancel the job, it nullifies my estimate. Basically, that is the thirty day thing. Canceled indefinitely best call back in 30.
I did one, I don't know, about 8 years ago. Quoted 750.00 for a pretty simple oak TD. Really only needed to be partially roped down and then felled. stage brush for burn, leave the wood. They told me, not at this time.
8 years later, call me and ask if I would honor the bid. I told them no. I would have to look at the job again. I know these folks. They have cluttered the work zone and the tree is in further decay.
They call a competitor and ask for a quote. He quotes about 1200.00..
They try to leverage him with my 8 year old bid. :lol:
He calls me... WTF are you thinking dude? You under cutting everyone? No way for that price!
I enlighten him about the age of the bid. The whole scenario of then vs now. Told him I have other clients on that road and have driven by every so often. Tree is in shit shape, has new hollows and fruiting bodies, dead tops. Home owners have added more stuff in the yard as targets. Gave him the whole bunch of beans. Also told him that they will never get me to set my foot on their property again for work since they tried to leverage his price with my 8 year old one. Seriously. You game shit like that, you don't deserve to be my client.

Had a customer a few weeks ago want the smaller lower limbs on 5 trees cut and left laying. $500. He asked if I could do it for $400. I told him I'd do 4 trees for $400. Wrote it down and he accepted. When I showed up and was almost done I had the bucket sitting between the last tree and the tree he left off to save $100. He hollered up to me "while you're there just cut a couple off of that other tree." I came down and told him it would be $100 extra for the fifth tree as originally stated. He said he didn't understand why I couldn't just swing over there and make a couple of quick cuts while I was already up there. I told him that I certainly could but I charge for my work and he didn't want to pay for the fifth tree. I had to give him my famous Wal Mart speech about going in and buying $200 of groceries, paying, then grabbing a candy bar on the way out of the door. No matter how small it's still stealing. They will sell you anything you want but you'll have to pay for it no matter how little it costs.

Once I got so far behind this spring I had to cut out all free and discounted work. I figured if I was going to be working I might as well make a few dollars while I'm at it. I write everything down to the letter and if I feel they might be a problem I'll have them sign it.

My estimates are good for 3 months, and is included in this disclaimer on my form (which also proides CYA for fubarring an estimate; I do also have some that come in under my estimate, which were subsequently reduced):

All prices are estimates and are subject to change due to changing/unknown tree conditions or additional/less than expected work that may occur. Sales tax may also be included, where applicable. All price estimates are valid for 3 months.

Back