Co-dominant tear-out stability--doug-fir

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
I have friends who have a cluster of three Doug-firs over their house. Each is weighted in different directions. Add to this that they might have multiple tops. I have taken a quick look. One co-dominant ripped out in past storms, leaving the other...probably a 40' included-bark crotch co-dominant off of a 100' tree.

With this type of injury, how critical might this be? These stand on their own, away from immediately surrounding trees.

Obviously, it merits an in-tree inspection.

I wonder if thinning the remaining leader is reasonable? Is a tear out injury like this reasonable to manage?

Tear out where I'm pointing.
bf144900da4ea13bcbb998a4c1c9b357.jpg

Sean: You'd know better than I would. Is the remainder of the "tear out" tree toward the house?

Our shop would probably just thin er out and call er good. :|:

I have a feeling I'd shimmy on up to take a looksee, and probably not recommend much more than that. If it looked bad I'd thin the top.

If I could see it well enough from the ground with binocs, I'd likely skip the in-tree assessment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For clarity, no expectations on anything to be gained from the picture, per se. Just that a post with any picture of the trees, is usually better than no picture.

Kinda wanted to generate discussion in general about structural integrity over time, people's experiences, etc.

One included bark, co-dom looks like it has bad attachment, maybe thin the side toward house, brace and rig guy.

A triple rig guy hub system might be a consideration for the trio.

I wonder about when one side of a major co-dominant rips off, how that affects oscillations, etc, that play into stability. What comes to mind is that the trunk below the tear out is being loaded differently than its been for the last 40ish years.

I had a large one fail 2 years after a co-dom failed. Heavy winds but still blew a 30" deodar top out. Too many variables really. Species, new C.O.G., local weather, exposure of wound to weather, weight above.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems like a heading cut would give stability. Plus thinning. Reduced lever and mass over a defect.

Back