Climbing/Cutting questions

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
With all the time I spend in school, espically in study hall, my mind wanders and I get to thinking about various aspects of tree climbing and cutting and I've come up with a few questions.

First, on a horizontal limb, or mostly horizontal. If I'm trying to swing it sideways with a face cut, and want to keep it from breaking off right away, I would leave more holding wood on top right, to keep it attached the longest.

Second, can someone on here offer some advice on my VT here. I'm been experimenting with the shorter cord, but I can't seem to get it right, where it'll self tend and catch. Or is it one of those things that I just have to keep experimenting with?

EDIT: Also, do I have my crosses messed up?? It seems my rope likes to twist a lot, and I didn't know if that has to do with the VT?

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 12
1) Yea, a little more; keep in mind if you leave too much wood, you can over stress the hinge and it will break earlier because of that.

2) I haven't used the VT in awhile, but I add 1 more cross at the bottom. Skwerl has a way he ties it that works absolutely killer.

Your first cross is wrong. The top rope always becomes the bottom all the way down the first braid starts directly under the wraps, not a little lower and around the front. Try one less wrap up top and squeeze in one or two extra braids down below.

With the cross like that, I believe it battles rope hockling.

Take a wrap off top, add one, play with the crosses, experiment. LOW.

Ranger, ...To your questions. #1 yes, leaving hinge wood to the upper portion
will help at times. Depending on species of wood, weight of the limb and where you actually put the face. Thers a lot more to it, but your mind wondering is headed in the right direction correct.

#2 Your Vt: alot of times it wont start to self tend until you have rope weight under you, which is about thirty to forty feet, unless your running the VT very loose.

There are many variations of this and messing around with the upper wraps, length of chord, and x below make a difference. What you have there, the only thing I would change is the right hand leg. Tuck it under and make another X.

I tend to run 3 and 3 or 2 1/2 and 3, but i'm also using 5/16 HRC and makes a difference also. I run mine loose which means I have to tend my system to catch more than most.

Greg

First, on a horizontal limb, or mostly horizontal. If I'm trying to swing it sideways with a face cut, and want to keep it from breaking off right away, I would leave more holding wood on top right, to keep it attached the longest.

It would depend on several factors, but generally what Eric said.
Always keep in mind the properties of the wood you are cutting at the moment, as some are much more kindly to manipulation than others.
When ever possible I try to use the weight of the wood to my advantage. Most times I need to swing a limb to the side a bit, If I can let it drop a little in the process, I will make my cuts so the hinge is at about a 45degree angle to the ground.
If trying to move the limb straight horizontally I will normally have it supported with rope.

Here's mine for reference Adrian.

I have one less wrap up top now.

NewTribe004.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys and thanks for the pic Brendon. After I get some hw out of the way I will definitely go out and play around a bit with the VT.

With all the time I spend in school, espically in study hall, my mind wanders and I get to thinking about various aspects of tree climbing and cutting and I've come up with a few questions.

[assholemode]That's an excellent way to get bad grades, my friend. Your mind should not be 'wandering' while you're in school. Do you study and do homework when you're doing treework? I bet a nickle the answer is no. [/assholemode]

[assholemode]That's an excellent way to get bad grades, my friend. Your mind should not be 'wandering' while you're in school. Do you study and do homework when you're doing treework? I bet a nickle the answer is no. [/assholemode]

My mind usually wanders during study hall(first few weeks of school, nothing to study really). If it's any other class I'm usually pretty focused and on task. You really have to be in the IB program(most demanding program in the school and also in many other countries.)

I assumed you were in study hall to study. My mind would wander, too, if I had to sit there and do absolutely nothing. So, there's no appropriate textbook you could be reviewing?

Right now is when we start getting into some serious stuff. The first few weeks are review, and just some simple stuff, that doesn't take that long to study or do.

Alright, here is what I was up too after my hw. I fooled around with the length of the cord, and the number of wraps/crosses. After some tinkering, I think I finally found one that works. It's extremely smooth, and after about 30 or 40 feet, it will self advance somewhat.

Attachments

• IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 9
How do you like the hitchclimber??? I'm getting one :) :)
I have been using the mickey, but the hitchclimber with it's offset spacing looks like it would keep the running and working ropes a bit further apart.

Ditto on what Greg said. I would only add what fiddler said. It's hard to swing a heavy branch with a straight horizontal cut like that, put some down angle on it. If the branch is long and heavy, hinging won't help very much, swing it and catch it with a rope.

Uh, I still don't get how you body thrust up a few feet with that setup, isn't it hard to reach above the friction hitch and get a good grip on the rope that is very taut from 1/2 your body wieght on it?

I can hand over hand a few feet faster with this system than a split tail and body thrusting, it is more efficient when you get the hang of it ;)

I'd stare at tail in study hall.
And so did MB; never mind that stern scolding. That ain't foolin anyone, like walkin through the snow uphill both ways. :|:

O and rd, the untwisted version: Tree Mendours (as they would write it in Jolly Old.)

Work Hard, you International Baccalaureate-to be!

And so did MB; never mind that stern scolding. That ain't foolin anyone, like walkin through the snow uphill both ways. :|:

O and rd, the untwisted version: Tree Mendours (as they would write it in Jolly Old.)

Work Hard, you International Baccalaureate-to be!

Hey treelooker, the twisted version came from Dad. He thought it up back in the '90's I believe. As a joke of sorts between the crew I think.

Back