Prevention of Milking; Are There Consequences?

A bit of stretch in a srt system can be worked to the climbers' advantage, especially on long straightforward ascents. Get the timing right, and ascend on the upward bounce in the rope; you get a little bit of boost on each bounce.

True that, B. Especially when starting up the line. free floating in the air, untended.

You and the rope.

Mark Chisholm and Greg Liu are the smoothest rope-walkers that I know. They make it look effortless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love my Teufelberger Drenaline. I love my Yale Bifrost (never milked). I love my Yale Blaze (use it as a lanyard/never milked). I love my Yale Phantom (mostly use as a basal anchor/never milked). I also have this random caving rope. It' good quality but poor hand. That never milked either. Even though I would prefer thicker diameter ropes, I still climb on no higher than 11.8 because I can test more hitches with various different hitch cords in that area of diameter. My next rope is going to be 13mm diameter. All of these ropes will work MRS with the tail for a hitch, but you have to wear them down first. I prefer split tails anyhow. Just another excuse to use a hitch cord heh heh amirite?!

@Burnham After watching a video where a guy drop tested a weight on both the Drenaline and the Xstatic (which is super static), I will never use my Xstatic as my climb line again because of how static it is. If I were to fall, some of that stretch could be back and life saving. I don't plan on taking a fall for any reason, but I don't even notice the stretch in my Drenaline so why go to more static?

Last edited:
I'd say you've already failed if you take a fall. Granted, shit happens, but keep your slack tended, and everything should be alright. I like super static ropes(for srs). I want all my energy to go to ascending, and not getting lost in the line. Not discounting Burnham's comment about working the bounce, but I think I need more experience to utilize that.

I'd say you've already failed if you take a fall. Granted, shit happens, but keep your slack tended, and everything should be alright. I like super static ropes(for srs). I want all my energy to go to ascending, and not getting lost in the line. Not discounting Burnham's comment about working the bounce, but I think I need more experience to utilize that.
I figure it's just an added bonus to have a slightly more dynamic rope. If you're tending your slack, you'll never get to use that dynamic-ness like you said. But shit can and does happen. God forbid. They say that the Drenaline is pretty bouncy and it does help with the ascenders like @Burnham pointed out. If you aren't going up very high, it's actually super static as far as I can tell.

@Burnham After watching a video where a guy drop tested a weight on both the Drenaline and the Xstatic (which is super static), I will never use my Xstatic as my climb line again because of how static it is. If I were to fall, some of that stretch could be back and life saving. I don't plan on taking a fall for any reason, but I don't even notice the stretch in my Drenaline so why go to more static?
Where did I suggest it was best climbing on static rope? I'll admit to doing so in very long srt ascents, but not moving about in the tree.

Where did I suggest it was best climbing on static rope? I'll admit to doing so in very long srt ascents, but not moving about in the tree.
I was actually agreeing with you. I was making sort of a side argument, based on what you said about how it's great for ascending a rope with ascenders if you can match the bounce. I only tagged you in my comment because it was inspired by what you said. I was arguing that, althought there's nothing wrong with using a super static rope in the trees, because I barely notice the stretch in my Drenaline (a very stretchy static rope), why would I want to use my Xstatic (which is super static), when I prefer the Drenaline? I was adding that the Drenaline would provide approximatley 1.5x more fall protection. I also pointed out that I have no intention of falling, but just felt like it can't hurt to have a more "dynamic" rope should I succumb to idiocy and fall far enough to where the dynamic nature of the Drenaline would prove beneficial of an Xstatic line. Phew, that was a lot of overview! haha

So basically I tagged you because you inspired my thinking. Nothing more. Sorry if that was confusing. I feel like what I'm saying is pointless to begin with haha

Last edited:
I bought drenaLine for the Akimbo.

I climb on it regularly. Nice and thick. Bouncy.

Also, i love htp, very static, skinny at 11mm. I need foot ascenders for keeping my hands happy, day after day, same as Tachyon (IIRC).

Thick and bouncy

Thin and static, heavy

Thin and less static, but lighter

Trade offs

Curious about numbers on a system that can slip at high loads.
I need tie myself to a Butterfly.

I think a bigger risk to producing climbers is something shockloading a rigging line attached to a gear loop. I have zip-ties as breakaway attachment points for hanging rigging lines and loops from a long lanyard tail.

I mentioned a couple weeks ago my stopper knot got caught in a branch fork when I dropped a limb, and I couldn't free it from the tree. I was on a moving rope(arbormaster), and me pulling on the lanyard trying to get it out was causing my hitch(5 wrap michoacán with 10mm Flex) to slip. I'm about 240# geared up, then whatever force I was adding by pulling the lanyard; maybe 150#.

That episode got my attention. It wasn't a big deal, but with different circumstances, it could be a big deal. I've switched to a single overhand as a stopper to keep it smaller, and I'm considering a constrictor to make it a pseudo sewn eye splice to make it smaller yet, but that makes it harder to switch ends on the fly. I always have a fixed blade knife on me that's very fast to deploy, but that only works if you have time to deploy it. Lesson learned... Mind where your tail is on all lines.

I mentioned a couple weeks ago my stopper knot got caught in a branch fork when I dropped a limb, and I couldn't free it from the tree. I was on a moving rope(arbormaster), and me pulling on the lanyard trying to get it out was causing my hitch(5 wrap michoacán with 10mm Flex) to slip. I'm about 240# geared up, then whatever force I was adding by pulling the lanyard; maybe 150#.

That episode got my attention. It wasn't a big deal, but with different circumstances, it could be a big deal. I've switched to a single overhand as a stopper to keep it smaller, and I'm considering a constrictor to make it a pseudo sewn eye splice to make it smaller yet, but that makes it harder to switch ends on the fly. I always have a fixed blade knife on me that's very fast to deploy, but that only works if you have time to deploy it. Lesson learned... Mind where your tail is on all lines.
My stopper knots are sometimes CNC sewn eyes. Not only are they great actual eyes when you climb MRS, but they make excellent stoppers for my SRS. They're also great for connecting to basal anchors and various other whatnot. You can always hand sew a stopper by forming an eye, just don't climb on it. I don't trust hand sewn stuff. Perfectly good for a stopper, though. Nice and sleek. I trust whiplocks and shit like that for splicing, but just not viking eyes. Those should be done by machines. But I often prefer knots for SRS because you can leave a long tail below it to grip with you foot ascender if you should slide to the end.

Last edited:
Being tidy with tails as part of rope management is very important.

If you can redirect your climbing line and lanyard tails out of the work area, it's one/ two less line in the work area, sometimes dramatically reducing conflicts.

A zip-tie breakaway clip-in point is great for anchoring rigging line to the saddle, and for long loops from a long lanyard stowed tightly. I daisychain mine.

Back