Climber Dies

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 82
  • Views 10K
Yah, not being safetied or tied in is not for me, unless I'm in a real tight branched tree with optimal foot/hand holds so I can maintain positive three point contact. I used to be all about the unclipping the safety for passing things and whatnot, now no way. I'm not in that much of a hurry and now that I know such simple ways to make my life easier and safer it just doesn't make sense to me.

We call that rolling the dice. Don't forget the odds always favor the house.

Never said I didn't use two points of tie-in.....I said I frequently go days without officially tying in. Lanyard plus climbing line equals two points, eh? But as long as they're both around the tree in front of me, there's no tension on the tautline, it's just there for backup. Wouldn't matter what knot I used, but the tautline holds its place better, IMO.

What keeps me from taking a dangerous shortcut is the thought that if something happened, having to come on here and explain my dumbass move to everyone. The vast majority of firemen will never have a in-tree rescue. You would really have to train all of them to climb trees to do it. Here the county has a water rescue crew. I think it is a blend of firemen and cops. Firemen have morphed into paramedics and car accident rescue guys. I think it said in the article that the guy was dead right away so I know the firemen aren't going to take any risks to recover a body, so they will take their time.

Ran into a girl here in Steamboat who was pretty close to Dusty. She said the branch that was cut hit another tree and came back upon him. Very unfortunate. There is a memorial fund at this site. The money raised is going towards putting other arborists through school.

Easy enough...long cut section, top hits another tree as it goes over... if the hinge has broken or is about to, it can rebound back at the stump, if you are in the way, uh oh.

Oh, guess they'll set up a scholarship in his name at a school or training centre...?

Easy enough...long cut section, top hits another tree as it goes over... if the hinge has broken or is about to, it can rebound back at the stump, if you are in the way, uh oh.

I would assume its more likely that the top hit another tree and as the butt feel free the top came back on him. I worry and have had that nearly happen, never seen the stump kick back..

I would assume its more likely that the top hit another tree and as the butt feel free the top came back on him. I worry and have had that nearly happen, never seen the stump kick back..

I have had that happen too, fortunately I didn't get hurt either. Just lucky I guess. As far as the donation fund goes...I'm not sure. Didn't get too much info on it.

We had a guy here that was strapped in and when the stump came back and hit him, since he couldn't move with it, it practically broke him in two.

It happened about 20 years ago, but I've been super careful about what my tops hit when I top trees in the woods, ever since.

Yessir...you want to very careful where you point the top in a stand. There isn't much place to hide up there. I did hundreds like this for snag creation...wildlife habitat work. You cannot let your attention wander.

Attachments

• Tree 63Topping.jpg
    Tree 63Topping.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 11
That's what I do most of them for, too.
Mine are hardwoods, of course.
Much bigger top on those, but you don't get the fun ride afterwards, cause the stem is thicker and shorter.

Climber dies in Nevada city, Ca. a rope got fed into the chipper, it was some how wrapped around his head and he was fed in head first.

gnarly.

I pretty much figure that the only time you don't need to be real careful about something is when inside your residence. I'm leery when walking down the street in town. Old people drivers is one reason. You nailed it, at a tree job site, always thinking and paying frigging attention is the key.

Back