Chuck and duck/ old school drum chipper adjustments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:lol: I'm not saying cnds are the best chipper by any means, i would love a large hydraulic one with a winch, but they do work and cost very little for the work they do. I literally paid more for my 80 cc saw than i did for my chipper

For a one man show and even many small companies, a good running chuck-n-duck can make a lot of brush disappear quickly. Light weight, fast, simple, inexpensive to own and operate should not be dismissed.

but with the right brush staged up nice you could really fly through some work.

Oh hell yea! Long, straight pieces disappear in a second! My ideal chipper would have two intakes... One a C&D and the other a feed roller. Imagine what that thing would look like!!! :|:

Wouldn't a drum chipper with hydraulic feed do that if you simply opened up the feed rollers?

Be a long way to feed stuff into the knives.
Not doable, I think.

They are actually safer than whole trees chippers tho, and they have a constant work safe reminder system :lol:

Would a chain or heavy rubber “curtain” make it any safer..? It works great on impact crushers/hammer mills.

Yeah, they come with them, mine still has one. I need to take some pics

Against the throwbacks, yes, but it's a royal pain in the ass to feed the limbs/wood throw them.
You can bet that every little stub/twig will catch a ring of the chains, coming in or out (to maneuver to excape the first stop).
It has to be heavy to have some effect, so you fight it constantly. The rubber curtain push down the limbs on the in-feed bottom and the secondary limbs catch the front edge and stall the whole limb for example. Or one catches the back of the curtain when you want to pull it out.
You can't "chuck" the limb with that, as you have to muscle it to pass the curtain. Then, the rotor catches it and strips it from your firm hands, with a bit of skin I guess. The curtain guard is usable with an infeed roller, but it's still a pain to work with. I have one on my small chipper, transparent bands side by side like an industrial supple door. Guess what ? Most of the time it's folded over the infeed tray. Now I can work !

Would a chain or heavy rubber “curtain” make it any safer..? It works great on impact crushers/hammer mills.
Yes, curtains are pretty standard, I think.

Mine certainly does.

Chuck and ducks don't eat people as much, I bet.

My local tree species composition is super compatible.

Never a hydraulic leak, like my loader gave me, all over a driveway and lawn.

They don't take skin off if you Throw and Go, Chuck and Duck. There is a large steel shield to protect you. You don't have to run from it, just step forward 2 feet, feeding somewhat from the side, like any chipper, ime.

Of course, I feed mine from the front at times, but not chunks.

Kyle, did you see @RegC 's Honda capstan swivel mount video?

No, but I'm gonna check that out. I need to greatly up my material handling game...

Never a hydraulic leak, like my loader gave me, all over a driveway and lawn.
That's a major point by its own.
Yesterday my small chipper spilled all its oil by the filter's gasket. From the corner of my eyes, I saw something moving on the filter. Bubbles ... What ??? bubbles ???
Luckily, it was just at the end of the day, the end of the limb's stack, and on a forestry like soil/grass. The previous site was on a driveway with concrete paving and the one before that was a nice (and expensive) granite paving . Very lucky.
I guess that the filter became clogged and built up some pressure on the return line.

I bought a new 12" Asplundh with 300 ci Ford engine in "73 for $3400. Learned quick that feeding hawthorne was a real touchy deal. Donated a little blood over the years.

Never felt more sorry for my crew than when they were feeding Honey Locust into one all day...

Last edited:
yep...trimmed a big line of them from bucket w/hydro pole saw...I was dropping lots of large "thorn balls"...stuff was terribly tangled.

Are chippers as scary as they look? I've never been close to one, but there looks like a lot of ways for things to go wrong. A chipper would worry me more than a chainsaw.

Back