Chipper - pig in a poke?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Horizontal ones only, Stephen. Is yours a 935....I know you just got one but I don't remember the model.

Carl...maybe I am nuts...you have chippers under $10K? Let me know if you do...this is not a done deal yet. Heck, I thought you were selling high dollar Gehls, Terex's, etc...not little weenie chippers like this 935.

Horizontal ones only, Stephen. Is yours a 935....I know you just got one but I don't remember the model.

Carl...maybe I am nuts...you have chippers under $10K? Let me know if you do...this is not a done deal yet. Heck, I thought you were selling high dollar Gehls, Terex's, etc...not little weenie chippers like this 935.

Under $10k can be a bit tough.

This chipper is in Northern Ohio, Rayco 814, 44hp Kubota, 8"x14" throat ~280 hours I believe. Slightly above your budget, but it is in fantastic shape by comparison. Let me put my thinking cap on for what else I know about. A few months back I could have swung a 15" Woodsman chipper!
2015-08-06 07.59.25.jpg
2015-08-06 07.59.31.jpg
2015-08-06 07.59.05.jpg

I appreciate it, Stephen, but my pig chipper was a 12"...this 936 is 9". I hate to go down to a 6". We fed the 935 some 6-8" logs today and it burped a bit but that was all.

Carl...This 935 is coming in at $6k...that's a good price point for me. It looks rough but seems to perform well.

I wonder if it is earthly possible to make a good sized chipper that doesn't make so much damn noise? They have done that with spiral knives on woodworking machines.

I'm interested in a 6x9" BB or 9" something, narrower and lighter than my 8'6" wide chipper. I'll rent a chipper next week to be able to pull it through the less-than-8'6" opening, and take it right to the brush, mulch left in a pile for their use.

I hardly haul chips anymore.

I'm interested in a 6x9" BB or 9" something,

What is a "BB"?

I know I am starting to look at trees differently now that I have a chipper. I rode by a massive canopied sweetgum today that we had bid 2 years ago...the deal was we would have to leave the debris on site in their wooded area since we had no chipper and didn't plan to rent one.

That tree is still there. I'll probably re-bid it now and be able to offer them proper removal. The capability to chip much of the tree is going to be a game changer for us, I think.

Here is how we are dealing with logs now:

Attachments

• copse removal picts  (21)resized1.jpg
    copse removal picts (21)resized1.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 40
  • copse removal picts  (22)resized2.jpg
    copse removal picts (22)resized2.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 40
  • copse removal picts  (23)resized3.jpg
    copse removal picts (23)resized3.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 41
  • copse removal picts  (24)resized4.jpg
    copse removal picts (24)resized4.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 40
  • copse removal picts  (25)resized5.jpg
    copse removal picts (25)resized5.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 41
  • copse removal picts  (26)resized6.jpg
    copse removal picts (26)resized6.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 40
  • copse removal picts  (1)resized7.jpg
    copse removal picts (1)resized7.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 40
Brush Bandit chippers. They have a 6" model, but the throat is 6"x9", and actually now 6x12". 6"x6" sucks!!!
. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bjjgQqneljE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.banditchippers.com/index...h-chippers&catid=76&Itemid=334#specifications.
Problem here is that the 9", at 7400 pounds, plus a trailer and ramps would be surfing CDL 10,001 pound trailer criteria. And I have zero budget for a newer/ new chipper.

Have you considered financing a new machine, or newer machine?

Any good grapple truck services there. A mini can go farther than a chipper if you have a grapple truck for hire.

Just saw your post while I was typing. That's a big rig for residential work, unless you have open lots. A mini and BMG, if you have a grapple truck service available.

Sean...I assume you are addressing Carl about that being a big rig? You don't mean my BC935 do you?

I meant the tractor is a big rig.

I was afraid it would be in the same ball park, but didn't expect heavier.

sweet machine pantheraba!!!!
I love that Kubota.
my buddy has one,i call him in on big jobs just because of that machine.

I meant the tractor is a big rig.

I was afraid it would be in the same ball park, but didn't expect heavier.

For clarity, I meant that the tractor was a bit rig for residential, thinking of the mini versus tractor discussion (and its really market dependent). And seperately, back toward Merle's info about the Brush Bandit being 5200 pounds, I was thinking of the 9" Bandit, compared to my 9" Wayne/ FMC Chuck and Duck. We squeezed it in with a couple inches to spare, total, both sides, with one truck disconnect and reconnect. We would have been hard pressed to spin a 5200 pound machine with two guys, as we did with mine, today, cutting 50' of dragging off of the chipping duty, and leaving mulch where they need it, in the back yard.

Isn't the 1250 around 6 or 7 thousand ? Could hardly tell it was behind the f-550. My old f-350 felt it though.

About right. My F250 handles it "ok". I would prefer a 550 towing it.
One of the reasons we wanted a 9" Bandit was a weight consideration. Oh well... A man can dream. This works for us currently. Price was right. And we have a lot of dead trees to chip.

Back