Carter’s / Truckers hitch without knots.

biggun

Monkey for Hire
As was discussed in the spliced friction cord thread, I was trying to describe a way to tie the truckers / Carter’s hitch with out any significant knots, friction cords etc.

The tie down loop can be positioned anywhere in the line and easily retired and repositioned. When done the whole thing pulls out without a knot in it.

He is the link from the previous discussion.

We were shifting a load of rubbish from my fathers house today and an uncle was there with his baby trailer and a bit of cord…. So I got the missus to film it so hopefully some may find it useful.

@lxskllr @Tommy_B @Tree09

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Remember the day my dad showed me this.

He used it to get 2/1 MA to pull a stuck trailer out.

I have used it in a pinch and setup quite a few on a rigging line to help pull trees over when we not have the rope and zero pulleys or crabs. Obviously it’s a lot smoother with hardware in there but when your stuck, just get it done.

Very good! I got it a little wrong in the other thread using the verbal instructions.

Use it a lot for pulling over, a crab in the loop reduces friction, and you can lock it easily by wrapping it round the anchor tree.

Another trick is to do that and then wrap the tail around the ‘v’ created by the initial wrap to give it even more pull. Then pull the rope sideways for the final pull.

The truckers hitch is one of the best tricks that separates the "pros" from the riffraff. I use and abuse it for all kinds of different things. Never lost a load, and never had to use noobstraps.

What does that top loop do?

This is what i am used to.

That's the way I historically did it, using either an overhand or butterfly depending on load and rope. The overhand can lockup pretty tight with some ropes. Not permanently, but a pita to free.

Thé key is getting the second loop inside the first.

Absolutely.

That is what I was trying to highlight albeit I wasn’t really explaining it very well when I was talking.

I should have shown the main reason I like that version, nothing tightens under load and there will never be a jammed knot in the line. Providing it is tied correctly.

What does that top loop do?

This is what i am used to.

Sean, the top loop is a replacement for the loop on an alpine, marlin spike hitch or an overhand knot in a bight. In the regular versions you use the loop to act and create MA on the line.

My version does the same but with zero chance of things not being able to be undone when finished.

Edit: Sorry Sean. The top loop only allows the creation of the bottom loop and is locked off with the two CW wraps around it.

Last edited:
I haven't seen it tied like that before. Looks cool.
I was shown a different way.
Make the top loop, half hitch then do a couple of twists on the bottom loop to hold it and then pass the rope through the twisted eye to tie round the cleat.
Your way look more secure

To me the eye style of quick remote release of midline eye most looks like this old truck driver training school method, here shown doubled, both cleanly simple.

The 2nd unused eye formed by each used eye is NOT a good secondary pull point in each.
i too like a sliding Prusik etc. for more range/adjustability too for eye, if pulling tree or other high 1x, cant fail/slip usually make B'Fly eye tho as a locked device at high loading. But can unreeve this non-tied eye shown and shake/dance/flirt eye out when have access to ends not so easy center on at destination/delivery, like a trucker might over a load, with that eye floating high. When initially setting up these it is good to also, set as can, soft lock, then sweat/swig, release and tighten again, as usually is more slack now. Can rinse/repeat a/n. Same geometry that Mick offers at finish after lock, used in the tensioning stage also.
Another correctly placed Prusik or 2 can be placed inside system as safety/rest auto-hold of purchse, if can setup to be combed when pulling correct direction and extend when tries to de-compress.
This setup geometry to me has 3 external main points 1x,2x,3x; so a very flexible tool than just pure power return, but good for that too especially tweaked/compounded.
>>generally input single pull to the 1x, 2x as pivot(machine point) and then finally output to the 3x.
>>generally looking for static pivot, and then the input/outputs as dynamic, potentially in anything setup to this geometry
>>any position can take turn being any of the 3 utility functions, so can have like a car transmission of speed/distance trade for power from same 'motor' source.
Ushape deployment (like over load)w/rig on 1 leg, can give 6xEffort potential from the 3xRig etc.
>>but should be sweated/swigged to equalize forces on both sides of U, then re-tightened
>>rather than road vibrations equalizing Urig portion, so not as tight on tightened side..
GAME CHANGER:
Compound inputs by hanging all of body weight on single input leg and pulling up on correct leg of 2x(that doesn't go directly to load proposedly on 3x external point)gives increase to 4xEffort potential at both ends equally tho, as now a closed system , BUT, then also PLUS the original 1x,2x,3x of the bodyweight 'count' at each respective point in the balance Naturally made. Next upgrade is to stand in loop on 1x and input leg instead of arm force as the input with the dual input, taking our transmission quite far on the granny gear side. Note how now use effort PLUS the promised equal and opposite of your effort back into system, AND work those 2 matching effort amounts and bodyweight as separate available inputs thru same system to sum. Sifted function out of DdRT or dumbwaiter 2xSelf Lift; just now body weight is another input against Load, not the Load itself. Visualize if stand on scale and weight(usually unrealized to target) 150 and can orchestrate this dual pull w/o changing weight on scale then is getting just the 4x each end output, then as bodyweight comes off scale it feeds into the system to give the normal 2x,3x outputs. Simply hanging guarantees all bodyweight used, and also the autonomous equal and opposite 'free' force used/folded back into system to work against the load again. But is multiple inputs to be recognized to command then as can. The input and e/o are linked, but the bodyweight influence is separate, so can hold with effort and impact w/bodyweight, or impact with both at same time etc.
Tracing the collected forces thru the compound system, we can find these differences.
Impact can increase inputs, like sharply picking up feet to hang, and snatching correct part of rope too, then allowing frictions of inefficiency to help hold this 'purchase'(ABoK term for opposite of paying out rope to Load side of system).
Compounding-same-effort-to-more-output-in-pulley-systems-and-truckers-hitches.png
Effort multiplier increase from this usage in any system will be :
2x greater end (like the 3x end) -2 =4x shown which will equal:
2x middler end (like the 2x end) =4x shown.
So in a 1x,4x,5x compound effort system will yield
2x 5xEnd-2=8x which will equal/cross-verify
2x 4xMid =8x.
Then add the standard 1x4x5x bodyweight multiplier too(link).

This can look like same process deftly done as matter of course, in same amount of time, to get game changer magic..
Figured out sitting in DdRT, and extending to may uses of rigid and flexible(rope) leveraged systems alike(link)
"In Tree"(in country), climber is thus in a very unique position to tighten/help tighten a rig even just over a support branch
>>AND get leg force pretighten on Load side, BEFORE FRICTIONS, then also leg force after frictions as equal opposite>>same principle
Friction points work against trying to input force, but then hold force once gained behind friction buffer
>>so as lose input efficiency to frictions, can find the also offer sweat/swig and capture points to your favour.
Then, after linear as tight as possible, bend/leverage as Mick says for greater tension by 90degree pull(works with webbing too, bend from flat side of web not to distort/deform weaker).
Tighter linear structure first, leverages tighter on bend 90 degrees, as like less rubbery wrench/more RIGID thus efficient leveraging force returned by tool. Like sweating/swigging a rope tighter, which can be done as input also. Want so tight can't bend to 120, where side force equals endpoints, more bend becoming more like 2/1 against side force, where side as input loses leverage/gains speed. From 120 and closed all the way to Zer0 spread would rather pull end to get more leverage as choice in the way this balance works.

i like a pair of these , then middles bent towards each other, or even better rig upside down U over load(more power), each U bent against own legs, then possible to each other too. You can bend some soft metal if in line of fire tho working this strategy at full force.

The one in video above is basically the one I use.

Back in the 70's I did a lot of truck work, some long distance. Also had a truck on contract carting cardboard cartons, and that stuff slips and slides so has to be tight.

Ten pallet truck, 12 hour day, 3-4 loads a day for 4 years. Before ratchets were really around much so I've tied it thousands of times, twice per pallet and double sometimes triple each time.

Then back into tree work before a chipper and tied down loads every day for years.

Last edited:
Back