Black Powder Hunting 2008...

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 26
  • Views 3K
On those Colorado hunts years ago ,once I got my deer I spent the rest of the week-10 days with a camera .

I had some wonderfull shots of wildlife .Once I was above a doe and two fawns late in the afternoon .I was on a huge rock .The doe knew I was there but couldn't find me . The fawns being like little children were playfull .It about drove mama nuts trying to keep them in line .

Bad weather moving in the does would herd up .I've seen 40-50 does and the spring fawns in one herd . Nicer weather the big bucks would travel in a harem group .6-10 maybe 15 does and one big old buck .The bigger the buck the bigger the harem . The old buck would be dead center of the harem with the alpha doe in the lead .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's an update:

On the last day of the hunt in tha last few minuts of legal hunting, one of the guys had shot (gut shot) a deer as it was running across a field. He thought he had missed and packed it in once he heard another hunter say it pass by him, (out of range). I was already in the barn field dressing & skinning deer during this time and knew nothing of this.

As the rest of the guys headded in from the bush/field, one found a light trail of blood and followed it. He came to where this deer had laid down & spooked it off its rest & it ran. Where it way laying, there was a pool of blood. When he started following its trail, there was very little sign blood to follow. They now know it was gut shot and decided to not push it further and just let it lay down for the night & expire.

I got a call yeaterday that the deer was found the next day laying on the edge of the gully. Its been cold there with 5-6inches of snow on the ground so the meet was fine!

That NOW brings the final count to 12 deer harvested by 14 hunters using muzzleloaders! The meat is being processed at this time so I should have it by the weekend.

:)

HC

Back