Before & After Tree Care

seesaw mentioned re. cankers (strumella, hypoxylon) p.359.
O, the perennial canker syndrome; yeah the dead ribs of woundwood show that, true. It's ttrouble when the tree adds good tissue above, but loses the fight below. Hence the severe reduction.

That was from October 3? Yikes. Why dressed? Because it's COLD that's why! Or was it to cover up the hard reduction job? Or sun burn? Or animals eating them--no, that does not explain the tops...

That was from October 3? Yikes. Why dressed? Because it's COLD that's why! Or was it to cover up the hard reduction job? Or sun burn? Or animals eating them--no, that does not explain the tops...
10/03/2013 - day, month, year. 10 March 2013. Today ...
We in such cases speak: "Cold" ... (Guessed wrong ... missing the target ...) :)

lotsa road salt used up here.
The mayor of a nearby town thinks young white pines make nice downtown street trees. :what:, so they also get burlap tents over the winter months. Will grab a pic of them later this afternoon. (probably an upside down photo, lol). Some of them have indicated their displeasure by dying, and the rest aren't doing too well. I got in a little argument with the mayor a couple of years ago over his idiocy, and he assured us that the trees were doing very well. Not a good thing when a former dentist / land developer becomes a mayor / tree x-pert.

lotsa road salt used up here.
The mayor of a nearby town thinks young white pines make nice downtown street trees. :what:, so they also get burlap tents over the winter months. Will grab a pic of them later this afternoon. (probably an upside down photo, lol). Some of them have indicated their displeasure by dying, and the rest aren't doing too well. I got in a little argument with the mayor a couple of years ago over his idiocy, and he assured us that the trees were doing very well. Not a good thing when a former dentist / land developer becomes a mayor / tree x-pert.
Up to recently we used stone sand plus salt (NaCl) Now is used CaCl2...
We say, "1.-Boss always right. 2.- If the Boss is not right - read the first paragraph ..." :)

Not aesthetically pleasing...:)
Man that is butt-ugly, plus how is such a porous, absorbing cover going to keep salt out?

Max, many cities here also went to Ca instead on Na, but it still burns. Here's a new B&A:

No, it's not another one of my boring stories. This one's by a colleague in another corner of the US. Howard Gaffin did a bang-up job on managing this tree, and a fine job of reporting the story.

Note his spec--cut locations "based on the size of the cut (the smaller, the better), evidence of existing decay, and the presence of live growth or *nodal* areas." Howard imposed no artificial guidelines like distance from the fork. Instead, he let the tree call the cuts, and he listened well. 8) Page 32

http://www.tcia.org/digital_magazine/tci-magazine/2013/03/index.htm

Thanks Guy, that was a good article, and fun to read too.

And I had no idea I could read the TCIA mag online!

Man that is butt-ugly, plus how is such a porous, absorbing cover going to keep salt out?

Max, many cities here also went to Ca instead on Na, but it still burns. Here's a new B&A:

No, it's not another one of my boring stories. This one's by a colleague in another corner of the US. Howard Gaffin did a bang-up job on managing this tree, and a fine job of reporting the story.

Note his spec--cut locations "based on the size of the cut (the smaller, the better), evidence of existing decay, and the presence of live growth or *nodal* areas." Howard imposed no artificial guidelines like distance from the fork. Instead, he let the tree call the cuts, and he listened well. 8) Page 32

http://www.tcia.org/digital_magazine/tci-magazine/2013/03/index.htm

Thank you for an interesting book!
018.jpg
I trimmed the trees in 1995. These were the trees 25 meters with lots of dry twigs. I left a 4 meter poles. Now it is a pretty decent trees ...

That is impressive and looks manageable.

75' trees in that location had to be a nightmare. Good job...thanks for sharing.

Max, what prevents those decent trees from splitting apart, if they are not cut back in time? From the pic it looks possible tomorrow. Maybe on other trees wiht dry twigs it might be better to do as Howard did, and make the smallest cuts possible to get the job done?

Rumi, you can plug in from HK no problem! Yes TCI mag free, and it's online before hitting the mailbox!

Interesting photos, Andrew.
You apparently have some very very hardy trees where you are, and they don't give up easily.
I heard on a radio program (CBC) a couple of weeks ago about a threatened salamander native to Mexico that researchers have been studying for quite awhile. It can regenerate limbs that are lopped off, and even some heart tissue.

A "retrenching".
Not hardly.
Wondering how stable the regrowth on those trees will be attached. Those big horizontal wounds do not seem like part of a sustainable plan. Why not climb higher and take less off, making wounds that can actually close?

I think them Russian trees look beautifully retrenched. :D.
Very wind firm at the present time as well.

image.jpg

Back