Before & After Tree Care

There is something we must all remember. We are each in different markets and living under different circumstances. Some men can dictate what work they do, and some men have the work dictated to them. It doesn't always mean one is a hack. It may simply mean that in their region, a living just cant be made by following the text book rules. Different clients have different mentalities. Some are eager to have a professional guide them in the right direction, and some are just not open to suggestions. In some places, where topping is the absolute standard, the tree workers in that region will follow the tradition and feed their children, or find a new line of work to survive. In many parts of the US, we are fortunate to have created client bases that are eager to follow our lead, and offer their trees the care that the books tell us is correct. Its not like that across the globe though. I myself do not top trees. I laugh at the men that work in thriving populated communites and do top trees, knowing that they have plenty of book standard work they could be doing and still making a great living. But, I do understand that in many rural areas, where work is slim pickins, men have to do what they have to do, to put food on the table. I don't like the work they do, but I understand they live under different circumstances and losing that day of work if they hold their ground, will hurt them and their families. We all have a responsibility to advocate proper tree care methods. It is our job as so-called professionals to offer up the best course of action. If you can stand your ground and stick to the best practices and survive, do so. But unfortunately not everyone is in that position. We must all remember that 99.99% of us are in this to survive and make a living. I think Max's work is brutal. But, Im not in that market to know if a tree worker there even has the option of choosing a different approach.

What I do despise, is men that sell topping to their clients intentionally. That's asinine. Just to clarify again, I myself don't top trees. I have lost more work over the last 7 years in business then I care to think about as a result of standing my ground. But, while my area is a hub of tree hacking, there's been just enough opportunity to stand my ground and still keep a full schedule of work that I am proud of. If I lived and operated west of here another 50 miles, I wouldn't be able to stay afloat by standing my ground. Too rural, not enough work to be choosy.

Then just read the thread; no secrets here, we post our work with before-and-after pics. do you have any After shots that are not stumps?

ps on the liriodendron, client wanted more off; i said enough was enough. when you see the canker you can judge.

I haven't seen the canker, but I agree you took enough off, and then some more, and then more after that. All at once. Not gradually spread out over several years. Proof positive that hiring a BCMA provides no guarantee that the tree will receive work done according to current industry guidelines.
Anyway, to be able to validate my existence on this thread re. Before and After pics, here goes:

image.jpg . The before

image.jpg . The hereafter

Anyway, Treelooker, here is a quote I posted over on AS from one of your colleagues. It is an interesting perspective that we all can benefit from thinking about.

"I think that urban trees must be the most misunderstood and physically mutilated living things on the face of this earth. Why do humans butcher trees the way they do? Why do humans feel that they must severely prune and cut back and reduce the size of subdue and exercise absolute dominance and control over trees? Why do humans waste so much money and effort on unnecessary pruning?"

Deborah Ellis, MS.
Consulting Arborist & Horticulturist

ASHS Certified Professional Horticulturist #30022, ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist #305,

I.S.A. Board Certified Master Arborist WE-0457

Yeah, some of them bastids live for a long time after being concreted.
The concrete just ambushes the poor chain outta nowhere. Never has a chance.

My uncle has a scar across both thighs just below the crotch where he hit concrete making a face cut many years ago. Spit the saw into his thighs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lets not sling mud here guys. As far as I know, all the guys posting here are honest hardworking men. None of us are out to rip anyone off or do substandard work. We can all identify with doing what the customer wants and its important to realize that in different places things are done differently.

Thanks to everyone for posting all the before and after photos!

Not trying to mud wrestle, but I certainly am curious as to the ethics of disregarding well established pruning standards re. photos posted of a tulip tree with a large cavity. I know that Best Management Practices are not written in stone, but most folks here can probably remember when it was recommended to not remove more than 1/3 of a tree's foliage in one pruning cycle. Then this magic number dropped to 25%. It's just a number, but there is a reason for it, and removing 50% (or more) of a tree's canopy in one shot because of some long existent cavity seems to me to be arboriculture gone bad. Or making things up as you go along, or something like that.

And the fact that the arborist promoting such a practice is a BCMA just rankles me, is all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know all about sacred cows! i am the tall one...

Madalina+select-062.jpg

Tall or short, musta been nice to drink some juice with those pretty women. :P

Equanimity; sounds good. 25%, 1/3, >50%, Dude--again--these numbers are just places to start thinking, not stop!

Awesome wedding pic, Nick!
Equanimity is good stuff, and as Mr. Shigo once said: "...some common sense must come into play when size of parts removed is considered."

I thought you were kidding, Butch.
It would be a bugger to last till I'm 86 and then trip over an acorn...

Shigo gave us lots of good info and insight, but he doesn't pay our bills and he isn't there to walk us through each tree. That's where judgment, combined with knowledge comes into play. Ive left big stubs on more then one tree when removing a huge leader that needed to go. Why? because that awful stub, sure to sprout out, was a better bet then the 30" wound on the side of a slow to compartmentalize tree. The text books said no, but judgment said yes.

Back