Barefoot life

I never let one stick out from a board, either.
Always bend them over.
We have horses on the property, you see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today I hiked in the snow with pets for 50 min. bf, feet did well, no problems. Surprised myself again.

Did you warm up some first or simply do it "cold"?

I did it cold. I was wondering how that was going to work out because when I did the 2 hours shoveling snow etc, I was working fairly hard and I figured the blood pumping from working could be a factor in making 2 hours doable. But nah, I just got outta the car and started hiking with a hiking staff for an aid. The feet got a little cold but nothing at all extreme. It seems to be coming down to the basic premise that "we can do far more than we think we can do."

Just a reminder note that, although I barefoot a lot, I honestly never thought I could do any extensive bare footing in snow, until I tried it this week. I thought it would be basically impossible.

I love to ice fish. i find that if I wear enough layers and my core is warm i can go gloveless and tie on hooks with no problem, even in very cold temps. if I under dress, than I need gloves and my hands turn into rocks. . Ice fishing is pretty immobile so its easy to underdress.

Yeah, I bundle up the head and torso. Went again today, bf and gym shorts, its a hoot!

Now that I'm gaining confidence in cold tolerance with the feet, I'm thinking of going in LI Sound, I haven't been in a month and a half, the water temp is 38* now, I think the coldest I've been in previously is mid or high 40's.

I walked bf on black top in my youth, once. It was even pleasant. Until my heel found the one little gravel on the road. Ouch !
I went quickly on the road side. Plenty of gravels there, but that makes an average surface. It was completely uncomfortable, but at least bearable, rather than the painful encounter a few steps before.

Walking in the snow? no way. I can't even play with snow balls or clean the windshield from the frost barehand

Derail warning - a friend of mine here has a fiberglass boat repair/modification business that he operates year round. While his shop is covered, it is not fully enclosed or heated, so he fiber glasses in some fairly cold temperatures and he can't use normal winter gloves because of dexterity needs and the resins etc. His clever wife made him some wrist bands with pockets that can hold the small chemical handwarmer packets that you see in the stores. The warm packet on his wrist essentially warms the blood going into his hands when he uses those disposable nitrile type gloves. I thought it was pretty clever...end of derail, carry on.

Last edited:
Or Lincoln logs. A running joke among a few friends of mine was to buy their buddies kids huge Lincoln logs sets. These of course would be spread all over the house, and stepping on one in the middle of the night going to the bathroom is an amazing feeling :lol:

I'm a fan. I Don't do his stuff regularly but I dig his story

Tell us about your wife's journey with it

At various places here at TH I've seen comic references to the displeasure caused by walking on legos barefoot.

Humans.

True confessions;

After my initial 2 hour bf snow clearing sesh a week ago, I noticed a small 'blood blister' on little toe, figured it was a blister from activity. Walked dogs bf 2x for 50 min each in snow after that, during week. Walked em today bf on snow and icy trail for 1.5 hour. Had a blast and feet felt superb. Got home and later I noticed a few more spots on 2 toes with that little blood blister look to them. Apparently its frost bite. :whine::|::dude:;)

Back