Appropriate lanyard techniques

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Happy thanksgiving!
Practicing secondary/positioning lanyard tie ins. Are all of these configurations acceptable and safe? Is the biner considered cross loaded in the 3rd instance? I appreciate your time and knowledge!

Attachments

• F1FEA0A7-72EA-4B62-862A-1E06D6A22745.jpeg
    F1FEA0A7-72EA-4B62-862A-1E06D6A22745.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 42
  • 71ED4B2B-34CF-48DF-A49A-7E9029FFED57.jpeg
    71ED4B2B-34CF-48DF-A49A-7E9029FFED57.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 43
  • 81FF0837-DE0D-4A83-846A-578BA428EAB0.jpeg
    81FF0837-DE0D-4A83-846A-578BA428EAB0.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 44
Nope, all 3 are fine IMO.
Be better to turn the biner upside down in the last picture.
You always want it in a position where it can't roll/rub the gate on the tree and accidentally open,

Personally I prefer a steel biner for the end of ropes and lanyards.
The extra weight makes it way better to throw over a branch and get to return to you.
Plus, if you accidentally sideload it, it is still safe.
Does pack a wallop, though, if you hit yourself in the face with it.

Tossing a rope with an aluminum biner over a branch and trying to get the end to come down to you is like calling the chickens in, without a handful of grain.
Steel takes care of that.

Also, you're using a pinto pulley. You can clip into the becket opposite from where the carabiner goes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! I now keep a 10oz throw bag on a small biner for weight. Yes, the aluminum has its short comings! Will probably end us with steel biners soon for the strength and weight aspects.

The third is a too long setup for my taste. I like to come closer to the tip. Like Altissimus said, the biner on the Ds is unnecessary and adds an unneeded length.

Also, I'm not fond of the first. Safe but not practical. The issue is the biner on the splice used as the main connector on the saddle. When you need to move your setup, you can only unclip the biner with the pinto. No problem at first seeing, excepted you have to deal with the rope's tail getting in the way.
It's better to clip the pinto's biner to the Ds as the "stay in place"and then the splice's biner is cliped on it as the "flying end" of your lanyard. Actually like your third, but clipped on the pinto's biner instead of chocked.

Last point, I'd put the pinto with the tail coming out on the underside. I find it easier to take the slack out, more ergonomic, and with less parasitic friction to give slack. But that's just me.

Back