Anyone using dyneema for pulling over trees?

Eric H-L

Treehouser
I am an electrician and my employer got on board with some kind of hollow braid like dyneema. In the electrical industry we have been using double braid polyester for my whole career and it’s a shock to see something new!I got to say that the lightness and ease of splicing seem like a huge advantage. Lack of elasticity is a plus for us also. (Ideally we use a capstan tugger) The one drawback I see so far is the super loose braid picks easily and also bits of debris can get caught in it if you don’t keep the floor super clean.

I just saw in “work pictures” thread some discussion of dyneema and using a portawrap to connect it to a pulling machine.
All we ever do, because our pulling lines are Dyneema.
Can't put a knot in those.

For the 22 ton rope, I had a mega porty made.

Attachments

• 7C6BD344-DB9D-4C41-94D9-DC75011B565B.jpeg
    7C6BD344-DB9D-4C41-94D9-DC75011B565B.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'll occasionally use just dyneema throwline for a little pull on a lightly leaning tree. Only good for something you can pull over by hand.

1.75mm dynaglide has 1000 lbs tensile. Bang the line into a crotch, grab the weight end and the tail end. Wrap both around a stick and pull away. 2k strength with zero extra steps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have some 9/16” All Gear Pro Force I use with my block and tackle for mega pulls.
I had to look that up. I found some crane slings. I like look of that polyester jacket. Would alleviate my issues with the loose weave of our unjacketed rope. P.S. put some pictures of your blocks up if you have time. Are they close to the ABS of the rope?

I had to look that up. I found some crane slings. I like look of that polyester jacket. Would alleviate my issues with the loose weave of our unjacketed rope. P.S. put some pictures of your blocks up if you have time. Are they close to the ABS of the rope?
I’ll post some in a bit they are all on my other phone. CMI triple sheave. And yes I am on the ragged edge of ABS all around with some of the set ups I’ve done. I don’t recommend doing what I did but… I think the 9:16” Pro Force is about the same as 3/4" Stable Braid and I think the blocks are good to 30k lbs ABS.

Last edited:
nice gear.

that chipper knife in background is poised and ready to chop off your toe, lol

Duller that a knife from Pizza Hut. It might smash your toe but not cut off.

Duck bill? The chain grab thing? Bought from Baileys.

Back