Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

It’s said that he was better on the autoharp that the banjo. There is a album he did on YouTube, one side is all banjo and the other side is all autoharp. Old school bluegrass isn’t for everyone but has a special place in my heart.

He was far better on AH IMO. His teacher was pretty excellent on the banjo though. That classical style is a thing unto itself.

That band he played with (Patent Pending) I saw live in Bean Blossom IN in '75. they were fairly successful back then in Bluegrass/folk circles.

Has anyone successfully transferred back and forth between bass and guitar, or does it always just end sounding like a guitar guy doing bass, or a bass guy attempting guitar? I sat in on bass once and was accused of sounding country for doing too much McCartney style walking and alternate tonics or 5ths too much. Previous guy was Mr Tonic 1/2 1/4 or 1/8 notes constantly.

I play Standup & electric bass and acoustic guitar. they are all different animals to me.

Each style/genre of music has its own things that are expected on an instrument to "fit". I've played blues, country, bluegrass, jazz, rock, etc. and each is played in its own way.

When you can recognise the slight difference in the rhythm section of a blues shuffle and a texas two step you're getting the idea.

I went to a blues festival once and noted a common thread amongst most of the bass players, both in style and eq setting. In rock/pop you have everything from Hofner to Rickenbacker. One small time Canadian band Streetheart had a bass player they called spider probably because of his style. Huh, looked it up they were local Regina boys. These must have been the guys my guitar teacher knew.

Negative points for spandex and silk, but bonus points for a rosewood Strat being thrashed well. Sorry for the huge step away from bluegrass. Its kind of nostalgic for me. Think he's running an Ibanez. That's what our high school band guy used at the time. Nice solo in Under My Thumb at the end, per the album.

haha....all genres welcome here. Other than Ben I think I'm the only one here who plays any bluegrass.

A nugget of spider and bass bubbled up from the depths. I think you'll get a kick out of it and possibly connoisseur the bass lines like a fine wine. :)

edit - youtube prompted me with My Generation. forgot the good bass licks in that one too

delayed offside edit - trivia Q When do you get the most hearing damage? playing Won't Get Fooled Again as a teenager or running saws as a growed up? Hint - when do you start to get smart about earplugs? ahh, memory lane

Last edited:
We also have a thread here for posting other people's recording just FYI...

Sorry, I didn't know any other way to present the bass playing to you. My bad. I noticed I can't really hear the bass lines on your average laptop. I unfortunately don't have bass recordings of me, and that goes to zero if criteria is you would actually want to hear it.

Have any thoughts on tube vs solid state? Last top of the line Deluxe Reverb I saw was hand wired, replacing a circuit board type and now apparently the newest is very solid state with features galore. I've got a late 70's with the pull boost knob. It barfed out a tube and the bias cap last year. Still has the original 6V6's stamped fender although I think they're Sylvanias. My only recent tech observation is compact fluorescents work their buzz in.

No problems...just thought you might be interested in the other thread also.

Only tube I've run is an old Ampeg piggy-back (flip top) with a 15" JBL in it. I liked it
Solid States: ran a 600w Seymour Duncan through two cabinets (4x15)...big EV reversed horn with 2 EVs in it, and a front loaded EV cabinet with a pair of JBLs. The whole unit ran at 2 ohms and could rock a small city

Now-a-days I have an Acoustic Image Ten2 Combo that I love.

Glad if anyone enjoyed it! I've been doing a few of my originals by request for some "shut-in" friends and thought I'd just toss one on here for kicks.

@Benjo75 Ben, You might notice the chords are roughly a rearrangement of the progression to the Don Stover banjo tune Black Diamond

A close old friend once (yes...Joe) once complained to me: "work, work work, that's all i ever do! You might as well just call me lunchbox Joe"

Having had several beers, my normal compassion or empathy sort of hid away and I retorted all happy like: "that's a great title for a song! I'm gonna write that down." :lol:

I had the chorus written in about a week and then it sat for several years...finished it up one day back in '93

Last edited:
I know sweet F.A. about guitar playing but the arrangement of notes as you came back to the next verse reminded me of those b+w Jimmy Rodgers videos/on YouTube.

Last edited:
Thanks Sean, it was meant to be in the story song tradition of Merle Haggard & Charley Waller type stuff.

Ryan...very possible, it's quite a common sequence in western music.

Last edited:
Bob Dylan, country, beer and good times on a late night by a wood stove with a drunk buddy. Miss it, don't do it often enough.

I could hear a touch of bass walk snuck in there.

Sounds like you have some serious amplification. Solid state can definitely take the output load end better than tubes but some guys like it when their amp starts to puke. I'm on the fence. Maybe because my amp doesn't go Marshall, it goes "rough". I've got a 70's Ibanez 12 string that I should show some attention to. I sold out to the electric side for a long time.

I enjoy your music. Look forward to more if you feel so inclined.

@Bart I don't have a lot to share that's much good here's links to one more I wrote & a couple things I played bass or fiddle on. I think I've posted most of this before, but just easier to post all here than look up & link each one.

Wrote this back around '79. Video is last week.

This one is all just me goofing on the recorder last Winter.

Couple things off an album I played Bass on from mid 90s

And one I remotely played fiddle on for guy in Canada 2012

Last edited:
@Benjo75 Ben, You might notice the chords are roughly a rearrangement of the progression to the Don Stover banjo tune Black Diamond

I thought I recognized parts of the progression. Not a lot of songs go to the 4 then it's minor. When I hear a song I usually can think of several that are the same progression or close to it. Sometimes it's hard to play a song with the same progression and not make it sound like another song. At least in bluegrass anyway.

Country intros can create the same difficulty. Generic playing is easier, but the melody rules for sure.

Nice. The drone like harmonies 4th down in the last song were refreshing. Too much pop music lately for me.

I learned one fiddle tune over 40 years ago, possibly with double stops at the time, from my mom, I know this key is wrong but I'm sure you can "name that tune". I can't.

B A G# E E B E E G# E G# B A G# A F# F# D# F# F# A F# A C# B A G# E E B E E G# E G# B A G# A G# A F# B A G# E E E

I picked that key to transcribe 'cause of geetar playing habits. It was primarily on the first two fiddle strings about 1/3 the way up. "Name that key!".

Glad you enjoyed it.

key is E but have no idea on the tune. :dontknow: There are only about 5 million of them:lol:

Back