Wildlife reintroduction in PNW , Grizzly Bear ... really ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
what's in a name ? As Treepeoples we all appreciate Latin botanical being quite descriptive in many cases , a friend on Ski Patrol has the name "Captain Cocktail" that's right Captain ... of ALL Cocktails. My point is you don't get names for nothing , the guy from J Geils Band is called "Magic Dick" so ... Anywho that big old Grizzly Bear has HORRIBLE in it's name. HORRIBLE so ,

Reminds me of a discussion I had with a guy on the Danish Woodturner's forum about Cyanoacrylate glue.

He figured that because it had Cyano in it's name, and cyanide was an ingredient in Cyclone B gas ( Used by ol' Adolph to gas jews, for those ignorant of history) it must be pure poison.

I countered with the fact that since Hydrocyanide, a deadly poison, shares Hydro with water, we should probably stop drinking that.

W.C. Fields: " I don't drink water, fish frig in it"

My point is: Because someone back in the dark ages, before the .454 Casull was invented, gave the bear the Ursus horribilis moniker, shouldn't much matter today.

Except to Butch, who isn't with us any more.

I have hitchhiked through Canada to Alaska, wilderness camping the whole way up and down.
Hiked around Mt. Denali for 2 weeks, saw loads of Grizz.
At no time were they anything but a nuisance, because of the precautions, one has to take when cooking and storing food.
As impossible to believe as I'm sure it is for you Americans, I was unarmed the whole time.

I've lived in a tent in lots of places with big predators and except for a leopard , that raided a Hyrax colony right outside our tent at night in the Negev desert and made such an unbeliveable racket, that we didn't get any sleep, none of then have ever bothered me or been remotely the threat humans present.

Last edited:
So you are not fat, either.
Lordy, my whole understanding of the World is falling apart.

Back