Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

It's pretty much straight 1/4 notes, almost no rhythmic variation. Double stop may have been partly real, some open string. Canadian, Celtic or east coast somehow filtered out to the prairies.

I meant a harder quiz, play it by ear on fiddle starting on the first string, see if you can make an open drone work, or find the real double stop - then "name that key!" Give you something to kill time with. I remember stretching my pinkie for the first note. As transcribed, yup, E.

haha...I ran through it several different ways in like three or four positions on the fiddle...don't recognise the tune

With just the letter changing it's near impossible to tell if it's above or below the previous note...tried several different combinations but recognised none

Consecutive identical notes could be interpreted as one longer note or not...I tried both.

It was fun though...and it still may be something I'm familiar with , but I've no idea so far.

I'm not much up on the canadian or celtic stuff so good possibility I don't know it too...

:lol:

Try it on guitar, D chord shape from 2nd fret but do E 2 more frets up, start the B note with your pinkie 7th fret 1st string, come down 1st string bounce down and back up 2nd and 3rd strings all against E chord, then B7 chord 7th fret maybe start off pinkie 2nd string, back to E Maj, B7 as seems appropriate to ear. Kind of goes ba=da-da ba-da-da triplets , chord notes.

It could just be a music book "etude" my mom learned which would be disappointing to my cherished memory.

To be honest I don't have the time to try and decipher this right now. Just finished a fiddle workshop on a new fiddle tune and alternate breaks, working through 7 intros to other songs, have five other breaks to figure out, and have a guitar lesson on yet another song at 11 tomorrow.

I've got my hands full for the next month at least.

If you record it and post it or PM me I can tell you if I recognize it.

I just saw an old movie that used the tune so I know it wasn't a figment of my mind. Then a title bubbled up from the depths. voila:

I think I added more fill notes. I also never learned all of it.

I've just had my ear re-kindled for banjo with my previous exposure consisting of the stuff in Dreamboat Annie and a few other pop songs. The soundtrack to the Beverly Hillbillies (show content aside) has banjo and electric guitar. I tried to fake in the banjo part at the tail of Eagles Take it Easy but I just don't have the chops. Any banjo in 5 minutes for Dummies you could internet teach? I seem to hear flat fifths and major 7ths but I think the overall sound comes from the (hiigh speed) picking which isn't forte as of late. I'm a guitar guy. Can you clue me in? Basic fingerings?

You'll find both M and m 7ths & 3rds in abundance but b5s more rarely.

If you're interested in learning banjo or bluegrass music this is a decent place to start.

There is a free trial membership available and a forum also.
I've been a moderator on Ben's forum since he started his site...

BanjoBens site is a good place to start. I've been a nember there for several years. Tony Wray was playing at that festival in Missouri we were just at. He is an awesome picker. He did a lesson on Bens site a year or so back. I've taught banjo for a little over 15 years. I'd be glad to help you out. Pm me sometime and I'll see where you're at and where you're headed.

Well, I've dug up some youtube banjo (call me too cheap to sign up) and finally saw the strings and tuning, open G. Explains a lot right there. And of course ended up watching duelling banjos tutorials. New respect for finger picking. Funny, when I was a kid with the Mel Bay guitar books they said anchor your pinkie and its back to haunt me, after I rocked out with a flat pick aiming to do Who windmills etc. When I was younger, let's be clear.

I get the gist of it, lots of licks thrown into chord finger picking. Still hard for my ear to pick out and I have no banjo to play on. I'll keep my eye open should I get more serious. In the meantime I can try to steal the licks and transpose to guitar. I can just drop the E string, but the weird layout is the high G at the opposite edge of the fretboard. The sounds offered by that can't be got on guitar. "Pinch" i learned a new term. But it's used in Stairway to Heaven. Was it Blues Brothers where the music store had a sign "no stairway to heaven" cause everyone used to play it? :)

Just left another outstanding fiddle workshop.
If I can absorb in a month what was taught in 1 1/5 hours I'll be ecstatic.
One of the most coherent educators I've ever run across...& that's saying a lot for a musician.

When I have worked with high master level teachers there can be so much presented that it is not possible to absorb it at the time...but wisps and hints of what was shown will show up later as I practice what was taught. Hopefully we can recognize those wisps when they present themselves or when the time is right for them to be recognized. Does that make sense?

Cool you got to be part of such a session...a large part getting so much out of it has to be your level of preparedness with both skill and being receptive to the subject.

Two of the best right there! Appropriate things whenever possible! I found a Charlie Parker lick on the fiddle just yesterday...8)

Gary, it makes perfects sense.

there is an old saying: "what you practice Mon thru Fri shows up in your playing on Sat."

Much of the time I have "light bulbs" turning on all the while during a class. There is just not time to absorb it fully before the next epiphany raises its head.

I got several things half sorted out last night after the class. Luckily I'll have a video recording of the class later today to refer back to and also have several handouts of the notation as well as sound recordings, so the material covered, but not recalled, is not lost.

Last edited:
Video is awesome. I have hundreds of hours of training with my teacher....reviewing video is amazing....to see now what you failed to pickup on then is priceless. To see my 80+ year old teacher whisper thru a movement and realize there were subtle intricacies unseen at the time makes for epiphanies. To be able to hear his corrections (and once in awhile compliments) helps a lot...to see myself doing a technique and, on the video, to be able to see him watching and then stopping the training to make a comment/correction helps understanding tremendously. I sometimes have to watch something several times to see exactly what triggered his laser focus (and sometimes scathing comments)...learning to see/feel/recognize errors is a big deal.

Keep sorting, brother! or half-sorting...I do a lot of that, too.... :lol:

I've discovered a little known treasure trove of picking and licks. The local TV station is replaying the Beverly Hillbillies and the entire show soundtrack is little ditties on guitar, banjo and some other instruments. Some of the guitar is between pickin' and rockabilly.

I found one episode on youtube. Done by Paul Henning, same guy as the Beverly hillbillies. So far seems a lot of fiddle and harp. Drums, piano. Accordion? Good stuff.

Got asked to pull a little bass for a group of teens in an online collaboration this week.

They are all students on a music-lesson forum I help moderate...

I thought they all did pretty well...

Last edited:
Got a surprise at another music forum I'm on tonight.

We have a thread where we share recordings & videos of stuff we've learned or are working on and each year the site gives out awards for different things.

All but one of the awards are decided on by the website staff.

This year I was the recipient of the "Peoples Choice" award which is voted on by all the members. I'm a bit shocked considering what I've seen others post through the year.
Got a $75 gift certificate at a music shop out of it...new strings!:big-dance2:

That's a good looking guitar. Why you calling it a knockoff? Looks like a tele to me. I have a 54 reissue, but I haven't played it in decades. I love the sound of those. I also like the strat. I have a 62 reissue of that. Same as the tele. Haven't played it in forever. Not sure which I like better. Depends on mood I guess. You can make the tele sound ruder, which I appreciate some times :^)

Back