Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

A picture of my homemade knee ascender system.
A Pantin, a length of marine store bungee cord, a homemade footloop and a basic.
Spare loop runner 'chast harness' with a clip to attach to a bit of accessory cord on the HH for self tending.
Walk up the rope...works just fine, SO much easier than 'air humping'!
I disconnect it all except the pantin when I get to my work area or can climb the branches, if I need to go up a bit just using the pantin and chest clip is suffcient, sit, stand action.

Attachments

• HH knee ascender setup.jpg
    HH knee ascender setup.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 106
Cool, Fi.

I would like to adapt mine to not torque the leg with pantin by using two foot loops. I don't know how well this will work. I have a second RWalker to set-up, maybe next week.

Fiona, the position of your Pantin is a bit strange. Too high for me, it rotates and lays almost over your foot.
The concern is that it bends the rope, as Sean says it, so advancing the device is less easy. It's more difficult for the rope to slide down through the Pantin and you could have some trouble to take off the slack, like you should at least climb higher before the rope's weight is enough to self tend it.

If you want, try to shorten the web under your foot. This way, the Pantin is lower and takes a place under/behind the ankle. In this position, the rope runs straight down and easier through it.

Good advice, that is what I do. :thumbup:
I have the strap that runs under my foot short enough to keep my foot ascender(somewhat)behind and under the ankle.
Makes a very noticeable difference on how easily the rope "feeds" through the ascender.

I used it yesterday. Been climbing on my Hitch Hiker for a year and a half, never had the opportunity to use a Rope Wrench.
A new ZK1 "mysteriously" showed up at my door this past Thursday(UPS delivery). I fabricated a tether for it Friday and "played"
with it in my basement, mostly because it was raining and I couldn't go outside and "play". Went out yesterday using the exact
same climbing system I use with my HH, but used the RW. The climbing system worked great with the RW, no problem. It's a very
different piece of gear and will take some getting used to. The one advantage I found right away was how easily the RW tended.
I'll be putting more climb time on it to get more "comfortable" with it, but I already understand why it has become so popular.

Here's a quick video of my very first rope wrench climb.....

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J3KYdrW5azg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I very much agree with you Marc. Fi. I suspect that you will find it is much more comfortable and effective as he says. The pantin buckle system has always lacked, IMO. Not enough bite to stay put. Once you dial your under foot strap length, you can sew it a bit to lock the tail down. It can be used with spurs, too. I don't usually, but have on a spreading tree. If you need to adjust the under-foot strap for spurs, you can easily cut a few bits of stitching.

Thanks guys, I'll check that for sure.
Although in the picture I am sitting in my harness, so my feet are forward, usually I'm much more upright to ascend, and the rope pays through ok, the only issue I've had with the pantin is the rope coming out but I think I kick it a bit with my other foot when walking up.
Also the bungee pulls it about a bit, tends to hike it up the side of my boot.

Fi, there is are two techniques to prevent the kickout, motion and a biner. I believe its meant to be that you lift your thigh at the hip, and keep your lower leg somewhat vertical, while keeping the toe pointed a bit downward, alternatively, clip it. My 10mm HTP can still slip out. I haven't learned good technique, I clip it and forget it. Other fish to fry.

A picture of my homemade knee ascender system.
A Pantin, a length of marine store bungee cord, a homemade footloop and a basic.
Spare loop runner 'chast harness' with a clip to attach to a bit of accessory cord on the HH for self tending.
Walk up the rope...works just fine, SO much easier than 'air humping'!
I disconnect it all except the pantin when I get to my work area or can climb the branches, if I need to go up a bit just using the pantin and chest clip is suffcient, sit, stand action.

I've been thinking about a knee ascender for a while now. Will it work with a Croll or something else or must it be Basic?
Thanks.

I think several people have adapted other ascenders...might even be earlier in this thread, or try the 'knee ascender' thread.
I reckon anything that captures progress that you can attach/detach mid line would work.

It's the bee's knees for that initial ascent. It takes a little while to get fluent attaching all the gizmos but the speed and efficiency of ascending makes up for a little more time getting it set up.

does anyone have a picture of the inside spine (the aluminum) of a well used HH? I think something is up with mine. . .

Thanks guys, I'll check that for sure.
Although in the picture I am sitting in my harness, so my feet are forward, usually I'm much more upright to ascend, and the rope pays through ok, the only issue I've had with the pantin is the rope coming out but I think I kick it a bit with my other foot when walking up.
Also the bungee pulls it about a bit, tends to hike it up the side of my boot.

Actually, I'm wondering why you have the bungee attached to the Pantin. My ropewalker arrangements only use the bungee to advance the knee ascender...the Pantin comes along just fine by being firmly fixed on the foot.

DSC03657.JPG

couldn't get much of a picture, but the lower end where the biner pinches the rope is wearing into the aluminum pretty good. I've only used it a couple times, so I'm wondering if this is normal wear and tear. . .

Here is mine close to a years use.

uzypyme9.jpg

seqynupe.jpg

Same look for mine.
The orange coat wears and lives the aluminum naked at this heavy friction point, but the metal stays very smooth so it doesn't harm the rope.
Actually it isn't the rope which abrades the aluminum body, it's the grit, sand and dirt on it.
Keeping your rope reasonably clean will extend the life of the device.

Thanks for the picture RskyBiz, and thank you PCTREE. I've gotten the smooth descent thing figured out, this is an awesome device!

Back