Animated GIF Thread 2019

If that engine/wheel assembly is of off what I think, it should do an easy 45 kilometers per hour........WAY fast for a wheelbarrow.

Good way to troll cops. Is it a motor vehicle? Garden equipment? It's not a tractor. It would be interesting to take that to court to see what you could get away with :^D

I always liked that barberchair(?) gif. That's an amazing amount of destruction. I suppose armchair quarterbacking's easy, but was that something that should have even been attempted? It looks like a big pile of nothing from the outside, and the facecut probably confirmed it. Seems like machines or explosives should have been the first course of action.

And as Merle notes...it is often also best practices in the hazard tree removal game I played for the USFS for what now feels like too many years. It always was scary shit with trees that badly decayed and that big. It wasn't often that bad, but a few times in my personal experience , it was even worse.

Glad to be done with those days...retirement is far easier :).

A chain and a borecut would have saved the day.
Monday morning quarterbacking, I know it.

Didn't think of a chain. In tree service settings where they frown on breaking out the dynamite (I know, I've tried) that would be a good idea. I have gone to using straps anytime I suspect a tree could want to barberchair and I'm going to do the job anyway.

Stig if you were cutting that same tree over again, or it's exact duplicate, how would you do it?

Had an ex-roommate from college the recently retired from BLM. They were clearing dead snags out of campgrounds and got too many complaints about the stumps (it was just a sneaky way of harvesting trees). So they started blowing the tops out with explosives. It eliminated the problem and since few people looked up, it ended most of the complaints. When I recounted this to my students in arboriculture class I had one, who still asks occasionally after about 20 years, when I am going to teach them that technique.

Merle, I haven't seen the top of the tree, so I'm driving from the back seat.
If it looked doable, I'd chain it and bore cut it.
In fact, I doubt that thing would have barberchaired if handled correctly, even without a chain, ( seen from the back seat, anyway).

If I judged it to be too dangerous, I'd simply pass it by.
Sometimes my apprentices get into trouble because they try to fall a tree that should have been left standing.
They don't have the knowledge or the backbone to say, no way!
That is not trees that are dangerous to fell, they are smart enough to come to me for advice on those.
More likely it is trees that end up in creeks, fields or other places where they shouldn't go.
If I leave one behind, and the forester starts bitching, I simply hold my saw out to them and ask them to show me how.
Kills that discussion stone dead.

Last edited:
If I leave one behind, and the forester starts bitching, I simply hold my saw out to them and ask them to show me how.
Kills that discussion stone dead.

Perfecto!

You advocate short bar a fair amount.

3.5 foot diameter tree, two foot bar, do you feel comfortable just estimating the line up of a boring cut from two sides?

Doesn't have to be perfect (especially if you're not harvesting logs) for the mechanics to work, and you can gut the hinge to decrease the chance of missing some fiber.

I've done that for so many years, Merle.
Got it down pat by now.

This one was bore cut from both sides, I was less than ½" off.

P1060320.JPG

Last edited:
Back