alternatives in land use

Sounds like a decent project to me, with the only concerns being the brief mention of a stream. We have a couple state parks here that allow bikes on the trails, and the erosion they're causing is appalling. That erosion is washing into a major tributary of the Chesapeake bay. If it was a construction company, they'd be fined out of existence if they caused that amount destruction. I'd love nothing more than seeing those assholes thrown out of the park. Someone that's supposed to be "outdoorsy" should know better, and voluntarily quit trashing the park.

Sounds like a decent project to me, with the only concerns being the brief mention of a stream. We have a couple state parks here that allow bikes on the trails, and the erosion they're causing is appalling. That erosion is washing into a major tributary of the Chesapeake bay. If it was a construction company, they'd be fined out of existence if they caused that amount destruction. I'd love nothing more than seeing those assholes thrown out of the park. Someone that's supposed to be "outdoorsy" should know better, and voluntarily quit trashing the park.

Its "green" bro.

It HAS to be good.

There's a pea gravel quarry near me that hasn't been active in my lifetime. I've never been back there, but I know there's some motorcycle trails that people have put in. Something like that would be ideal for the state to buy, and turn it into a bike park. It's convenient to transportation, and afaik, there's no environmental concerns with people turfing it up. It could even be regraded to make it more fun for bikers.

plus I can ride my bike to them....lol, lowering the carbon foot print

We have a family developing an EV quad park for tourism up here. Community is split with the idea, but its approved. 100 acres on the side of a steep slope. Mt Bullion. Still gold in that hill. Prospectors only took the easy stuff. One company wanted to mine it and an adjacent mountain now that gold prices are up. But cant. Our roads and CA regulations wont allow for it. Too much weight and EPA stuff. Only seasonal run offs there. Then it was a cattle ranch. Not veru sustaining for cattle though. On our good grass maybe 10- 20 acre per head. More rocky up there. We need the influx of more tourism though. I guess they have to build a multiple unit housing complex in return to do the development. i hope they succeed.

Thank god no.

My bullshit-o-meter pegged and we never planted any.

The banks around here won't loan money to plant it.

Its that big a fugging scam.
how's it a scam? its not worth what they say it is? people seem stoked about their profits so far. what is the catch?

The catch are the fly by night assholes that promote, sell you the seed, write contracts, tell you it will save your farm, and then dissappear after having sold defective seed.

Its a fugging pyramid scheme.

Very very few are profiting from it.

Nowhere near the original claims.

So yeah...the hemp dream was too good to be true, and they extracted millions in equity selling the bullshit dream.

So I googled "fraud, scam, hemp" and i found that a bunch of people were sold seed that didnt turn out to be feminized for CBD production. A lot of people ended up growing a bunch of boys and seeded girls. they for sure for got ripped off. That doesn't have to do with the actual crop so much as the shady people taking advantage. people who got good feminized seed seem to still be doing well with it. It seems to me though that CBD is a crock of shit. i had thought people were growing hemp for textile/paper purposes. not a snake oil drug.

there was a Hops boom and bust here when a bunch of people saw the high price of hops. people rebuilt their farms around hops only to realize that they didn't have a hops processing pelletizer to get it into a format that the beer makers had built their operations around. The already established hops farmers had the lock on the hops pelletizer patent. (or something like that) the end of the day a bunch of michiganders lost their ass trying to get into the hops game

in one of the articles about the CBD farmers who are struggling, it interviewed a guy who said theft was a huge problem and people were always stealing his plants. He referred to the idiot theives who didn't know that you could smoke a dump truck full and not get high. I'm thinking that its the farmer that is dumb as a brick trying to grow and sell weed that doesn't get you high. The thieves also just can't imagine that a person would be that dumb.

what happened to the building materials and sustainable fuel that hemp is supposedly good for?

I was on a job today, and we found someone's plants in containers in a soybean field. Not sure what the plan was for that, but soybeans don't make a good cover for weed :^D There were five plants there. Me and the boss moved four of them ~50' away, and left one where we found it. Wonder if they'll find the ones we moved? At this stage, the soybeans provided good cover, and made them hard to see :^D

Interesting article and info

"Clark says that ostriches are better suited to Texas’s harsh conditions and drought-prone rangeland than cattle. They also breed faster, require less land to produce, and can be fed with alfalfa, a crop that fixes nitrogen in the soil."

I was on a job today, and we found someone's plants in containers in a soybean field. Not sure what the plan was for that, but soybeans don't make a good cover for weed :^D There were five plants there. Me and the boss moved four of them ~50' away, and left one where we found it. Wonder if they'll find the ones we moved? At this stage, the soybeans provided good cover, and made them hard to see :^D
In some places, patches are booby trapped... might not be best to move them.

They don't do that stuff out here. Kids I'm sure. Anyone really serious will grow inside. Everything else is people playing games.

So interesting to me how some inquisitive, insightful farmers seek to improve yield by using approaches that more closely mimic natural processes, compared to accepted, traditional approaches

Back