028 Super (FREE)

GASoline71

'cause chicks dig scars
I got this saw for free... completely torn apart and in a 5 gallon bucket. No bar and chain. It needed new rings, a carb rebuild, new fuel and impulse lines, and a few missing bolts. Got it from a guy who thought it had a bad P&C. I took one look at it and bit my tongue and said "Yep... it looks shot to me too." I asked him what he wanted for it. He said "Take it, it's yours."

So here is the before and after... now it cuts fantastic, and is going to be my elk/deer camp saw. I love free stuff!

Gary

Attachments

• 028 Super 004.JPG
    028 Super 004.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 028 Super 003.JPG
    028 Super 003.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 028 Super 001.JPG
    028 Super 001.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 4
  • Basket%20Cases%20002.jpg
    Basket%20Cases%20002.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 8
No worries. There are times I really wish there were more deals like that here. Since the logging has pretty much dried up, not much happens like that. And you will still pay good dollar even if the P&C are cooked. The few that come up, people look on e bay and want as much for a DOA saw as you can buy running off e bay... Oh well...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wanna see how you mount the scope on it......no excuse for missing your mark. :P

Ed

HAHAHA! That scope is off my pellet gun... had to make too many "close" shots and the scope was a hinderance.

Oh... and BTW Ed... I checked on that 066 clutch cover for you. Wood's has them on the shelf for around $50 bucks.

Gary

Give me a total with shipping (48414), I'll send you $$$. USPS flat rate box is usually a good deal.
Check yer pm for address.
Thanks Mang!
Ain't the innernet great?

Ed

The saw already has the big dogs & roller chain catcher. :D
Just need more chip clearance for "noodlin" and cuttin' big azz softwoods with long bars and full skip chain.

Ed

It would be a good camp saw no doubt ,especialy at that price .

The 028 is kind of old school .It's built about like the 038-042-048 only a tad smaller .

I've got Toms' 50 dollar special in the shed that I'll pep up one of these days .While they aren't a bad firewooder they lack a little as a ground saw for a tree company .

Nice Gar, great opportunity.

I got one for free too, finding it sitting in what I hope was mud at the dump. It smelled horrific, but have you ever seen a saw with such potential? :lol: It took a lot of work, but after cleaning and re-assembly, and moving the handle heater from a defunct 038 over to it, it has become a very useful winter saw, glad I bothered....I think. Cuts good now, but not as pretty as Gary's by far. Original carb still working fine, and p and c....didn't have to replace much.

Attachments

• 0280711.JPG
    0280711.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    392.6 KB · Views: 5
Man I only got a coffee can full small stuff and a poulan 330 box full of parts last time. I want a 5gal bucket saw. :rockon::thumbup:

Ha buckets .You can get several saws in a 5 gallon bucket .

My daughter still laughs though about the time I brought home a John -Deere A tractor in buckets, several buckets that is .

Not a bucket with it.... but free from a client. new fuel lines and carb clean and walla runner.8)

Attachments

• IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice saw there rskybiz! :)

Jay... let me know if you need parts for that saw. Between the 2 saw shops at my disposal, I was able to rebuild the 028 Super with factory Stihl NOS parts off the shelf. Except for the piston rings. I got a set made by Caber, which I think makes the Meteor brand pistons.

Gary

From what I've seen those rings and piston seem to hold up .I have a Meteor piston and rings on the 034/036 hybred and rings only on the 038 Mag I got from B . It took a little for the rings to seat in on the later but when it came alive it surely got with it .Typical though on a slightly scuffed cylinder .

Thanks Gar.

I do need the air filter cover since the 028 I found didn't have it. I stuck on the 038 one but it isn't real compatible and sometimes falls off. I might need the muffler cover plate too, I think mine is about rusted out...might have it confused with another saw on that, will check today and get back with a pm.

Back