New Stihl saws for 2021

Run motomix and have Stig send over some bottled air from Denmark - 2500hr run time no problem, If Stig farts in the tank 3000hrs + :D

30-40 years ago when I was cutting pulp, we'd buy a new saw every year.
Running flat out when limbing killed them fast.
But in hardwood they usually last 2 years.
Unless they get crushed under a log, of course.

It's a pretty sad thing going on here, to me anyway. That being Frankie finds it completely acceptable behavior to basically call another member of this forum a liar.

Not just some whackadoodle short term newbie, but a member of long standing, and widely respected for his skill, talent, and experience.

For frick's sake...surely it's fine to ask questions, make a case for why one's experience does not reflect that reported by another member; that all seems completely reasonable.

But Frankie just goes at Stig's report of the hours his company has seen from the 500i, full hammer and tongs, outright calling it false.

I'll posit again...manners would be nice to see. We can and should do better. Frankie is not the only one who from time to time crosses the line...hell, I've done it myself.

I'm trying to be a better member, and I ask Frankie specifically, and all the rest of us to do the same.

Last edited:
Point taken Burnham. However I did say I would be the first to apologize to @stig upon him providing a computer screenshot showing 2500 runtime hours with that particular 500i plugged into Stihl software. I have multiple STIHL dealers in my locale , One is less than 5 miles away, Stig may not be as fortunate but I’m hardly asking anyone to move heaven and earth here. I simply do not believe the saw achieved 2500hrs of runtime on the original rings/seals/components, that’s all there is to it!

So Frankie, you really think Stig is hiding saws behind every beech tree so he can carry on cutting when each saw craps out after 500hrs then comes on here and just tells us porky pies.....for what?

Do you think oil ratio standards or even oil quality have been the cause of the shorter life of newer saws or just the new tech and stratos alone?
Oils today are pretty good. The oils you get for saws is better than ever and people in general are more careful mixing today than ever before as they know more about it now than 30 years ago.
The users here mostly run Aspen, I'd say 98% of my customers and all pro's do as it is quite superior fuel compared to what we have here other wise. It's oil is very good, I would say one of the very best in doing its job.

Fuel and ignition systems are also very good. They are better than ever technical speaking.

Stratified saws is the worst thing that happened to saws IMHO.
Heavier, more sensitive to the single largest issue in saws, air leaks as they build them in at factory.
Sure I get it its fun with new stuff and there is a prestige in this to make it work. They get to sell more saws / user and year, that help too so I see why they don't go back to what works. They sell anyway...

The environment argument about having it is fast shot to hell if you think about the total environmental impact there is with a saw. Single largest impact is not from fuel, its from the sale and stuff up to it. Manufacturing Parts, assembly of saw and all transports back and forth over the world is a lot crazier than a cubic meter of fuel run in a saw during its lifespan. A lifespan that today is shorter than before.
What a saw produce is a lot up to the driver, sure but the saw itself has limits to what the driver can do with it too. If you look at production on same logger / year and saw you fast see the differences.

Frankie does have a point though.

Cutting pretty much continuously on stacks of logs would be tougher on a saw than most logging situations.

Guys bucking in the pulp dump would burn twice as much fuel as a faller and the Poleman would burn the same.The pulp dump and poleman were seconds away from their gas cans or files.

I would go as far as saying that falling was probably the easiest work for a saw in the forest.Except perhaps for the QC who just nipped off the odd stub or straightened a cut here and there.

Pulp wood loggers here is mainly spruce and not that big. All that can is done by machine so it not much anymore that is cut by saws if you look at volume harvested. Old over grown spruse is not much and rarely more than a few trees here and there. In my aea its very rare as the grow big fast and rot if they are larger.
Not many of them has larger saws, 50-60cc is large to them here.
Pulpwood loggers here use max 5 liters fuel a day. A beech logger do that easily and more if its a spring day and many hrs light. Combi can was made for pulp loggers and it 6 liters. Most beech loggers here have two with them out in morning.

Pulp was anything defective or over 212cm diameter. You could burn 20 liters a day just constantly cutting that up.

It was also possible to burn that much under the pole as you didn't have to walk to the logs the logs literally came to you.

The skiddies who would limb the trees on the landings and cut the logs to length would probably spend 40 minutes per day traveling between the log decks,plus sharpening about every two tanks,filling up three times an hour etc.minus 30 minutes for lunch.

Fallers would take 10 liters down the hill unless they were close enough to walk up for lunch.

These saws were 066's ,064's and 088's.

I would imagine out of 7.5 hours of work,minus refilling/sharpening/ moving to the next work that saws would only be running for maybe 6 hours? And still they only lasted 8 months generally maybe a year.

Frankie, related to the MS462, seeing how Stihl's website (US, German and International) all list all options for that saw having MTronic engines, and no dealer here or their Stihl rep able to find anything like that, it does appear you are mistaken on there being a carb-adjusted model. I believe you can "mark my words" on that....
I tried to post a pic, even two, but they are on ma tablet. The Treehouse is all shitty displayed on it, unusable. Plus my tablet doesn't want to communicate with my PC. So, no pic available. Maybe I'll try to pass by my daughter's phone as a relay, we'll see.

Anyway, Frankie 's right on that, I have a ms462C, not M, with a conventional carb and its 3 tunning screws. I found it on a german site and choose it precisely because I didn't want to deal with the Mtronic. That wish partly failed because for the ms201T and the ms661, I had no choice but to take the tronic.

Point taken Burnham. However I did say I would be the first to apologize to @stig upon him providing a computer screenshot showing 2500 runtime hours with that particular 500i plugged into Stihl software. I have multiple STIHL dealers in my locale , One is less than 5 miles away, Stig may not be as fortunate but I’m hardly asking anyone to move heaven and earth here. I simply do not believe the saw achieved 2500hrs of runtime on the original rings/seals/components, that’s all there is to it!
By demanding a screenshot you are conveying a lack of trust in stig's claim. Stig has made no other claim than he is getting two years logging out of a pro class saw. He doesn't say he is milling, bucking on the header, or just standing around holding the throttle open all day running up the hours to satisfy some internet troll. After 15 years of reading stig on here, and seeing his English improve to the point of being better than at least 95% of us, I see no reason to doubt any of his claims. Anyone who runs a saw knows that a day in the woods isn't 8 hours x 10k rpms. There's plenty of downtime fueling, driving wedges, walking to the next tree etc. Perhaps gallons of mix would be a better gauge of use.

I tried to post a pic, even two, but they are on ma tablet. The Treehouse is all shitty displayed on it, unusable. Plus my tablet doesn't want to communicate with my PC. So, no pic available. Maybe I'll try to pass by my daughter's phone as a relay, we'll see.

Anyway, Frankie 's right on that, I have a ms462C, not M, with a conventional carb and its 3 tunning screws. I found it on a german site and choose it precisely because I didn't want to deal with the Mtronic. That wish partly failed because for the ms201T and the ms661, I had no choice but to take the tronic.

But did you buy the 462c in 2021?

I dont doubt they may have sold them, maybe they don’t sell them anymore.

But did you buy the 462c in 2021?

I dont doubt they may have sold them, maybe they don’t sell them anymore.
I know for a fact they (462) were not available in here WNY or the in the states. A carb version sans mtronic was available in other parts of the world in this configuration from the time they were released . Anyhoo It’s really not that difficult to “convert” a mtronic 462c to a standard carb version IF a guy/gal wanted but you need to spend the $$$ on the parts to swap it over.

Last edited:
Pulp was anything defective or over 212cm diameter. You could burn 20 liters a day just constantly cutting that up.

It was also possible to burn that much under the pole as you didn't have to walk to the logs the logs literally came to you.

The skiddies who would limb the trees on the landings and cut the logs to length would probably spend 40 minutes per day traveling between the log decks,plus sharpening about every two tanks,filling up three times an hour etc.minus 30 minutes for lunch.

Fallers would take 10 liters down the hill unless they were close enough to walk up for lunch.

These saws were 066's ,064's and 088's.

I would imagine out of 7.5 hours of work,minus refilling/sharpening/ moving to the next work that saws would only be running for maybe 6 hours? And still they only lasted 8 months generally maybe a year.
Logging and pulp wood is quite different here as you must know.
Not sure if you can even deliver skidded wood here, I think they go bananas if they hear it has been dragged.
in 60's there was some of this deck handling and skidding but it did not last.
No 200cm trees in pulp wood here. Max 70cm I think. The bigger go to energy.

I really like the Swedish forests,its nice to walk amongst the trees there.

Its a much different environment to anything else I have experienced.

I really like the Swedish forests,its nice to walk amongst the trees there.

Its a much different environment to anything else I have experienced.
There is some very fine well taken care of forest here. Another thing is the diversity of the forests.
Pine, Birch, Beech Spruce it all has its charm.
Walking in them and working in them often is very different from time to time even.
Here in south they should not plant one more spruce but do it to get fast pulp wood. Its not meant to grow old and can't really as they rot long before that.

Spruce do well in north, mid Sweden has some excellent Birch woods and the oak, Beech wood here in south is my personal favorite.

They managed to find a way to make money without doing too much harm in nature. Compared to other places in the world I think we do ok here in Scandinavia forestry.

It is not uncommon saws are a few years old when customer buy them. They sit a bit in factory, a bit with distributor and sometimes quite a bit on dealers shelf or storage.
I found 70+ years old saws brand new in storage at dealers, got three years old saws from distributor so its not impossible.
A thing to think about when buying saws...

Not new, but sure hard to find.

Took me 3 hours on the phone to locate 2 MS 201saws today. John picked them up in Miami on his way home! What we are hearing is that it will be next year before we see them on the shelf. 😳

These will be hidden until needed.😎

I hear the 395xp is sold out everywhere and discontinued for the 592 that's coming out next month. Probably the same story for the 390xp.

Back