What do you currently run?

What climber?

• Stihl 200t

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Stihl 201t

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Husky 540t

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • other, if so please state in your post.

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
A 346 in a top handle would be a freight train from hell. I feel bad for folks that have never done production tree work with a 346..
I don't know for sure yet I can convert it, busy tree season at the moment so may go into the winter as a winter project.
The top cover has to be lowered and the air filter mounted lower rearward. New fuel tank with top rear handle attached with a hinge [for access to the air filter] which then is attached to the redesigned front handle bar with a quick release.
Other option is to build the top handle with a built in air filter housing like the MS200 or T540XP, which is my ultimate preferred design.

It would work better with the 550XP which has a rear sloped cylinder design making a lower profile, but that may come later.

Ye gods, Willard...you be talkin' some hella powerful tophandles there. I'll look forward to your future reports.

I wonder if the Predator comes in a top handle version?

Muffler Ported 192T, which is almost as fast as my current ported 335 Cali..... I have three 338 NE about to be fixed. All should be faster than the 335, and all should decimate any 201T, prolly including the new one, and all stock 200T's..cheaper, lighter and less problem fraught with carb issues etc..unlike the old 335's, they kick ass...and are lighter than the 540, and way cheaper, which is why I have not and may not upgrade.

A 346 in a top handle would be a freight train from hell. I feel bad for folks that have never done production tree work with a 346..

True enough... that said, I have NEVER run a bone stock 346.....my first I sold to Eli Kunzmann, who I trained (He won his first TCC), my second was stolen. The third, the first 50cc NE, was wood ported by treesling'r, and was 54% faster than stock... and a match for a stock 440..... it should soon be returned to me, with a new ring and hone, and crank (it broke, a first for me in 39 years of cutting) from mweba (of Arb site and sawhogz.com) who just sent me the brand new 550XP, which has replaced the 346. It's wood ported, but is Auto Tune, and I'm sure it is only 30% faster than stock, and may well be slower than the 346...but I love it....it doesn't fall over when set on a hard surface, or when being filed, like the 346...sips gas, and is a breeze to start, shut off and restart! Video at 11...lolz

Then there's these...
They do the bulk of the work..

View attachment 56380

They've cleared miles of tree lines...

I have the second ever woods ported 7900--
I think..and possibly had the first ported 5100S..which was stolen. I still have the pipe for it which Ed Heard built. And the low life ex employee druggies also lifted my muffler modded 5100S. The 7900 may be in need of a coil..when hot it loses power, but other than that is still going strong after about 10 years. I had a 6401 cum 7901 Makita, also stolen...fuckers!! but have another waiting to have the new Dolmar 7900 jug to be put in...total cost about $450!! buy the 6401's from Home Depot when they occasionally offer a rental saw up...they're always in fine shape. In stock from the 7900 is the king of the 70-80 cc class!

I wonder if the Predator comes in a top handle version?

Maybe...stig..but not even Sasquatch could run it...it does tip the scales at a cool 407 lb....and yours truly got to cut a 26" pine with it in 1.2 seconds, at the first Clearwater Revival..not by myself, mind you....

My stock NE 346XP with a generous muffler mod can almost keep up to my stock 562XP. But the 3 - 550XP's sponsored for my saw competition by Husqvarna Canada are strong saws right out of the box. They must have had some " in house tweaking" ha ha.
This video from Feb 2013 competition starts out with the first 2 guys running the 550's for the first time cutting wood right out of the box with out of the box chisel .325 chains and the competitors being amatuers.
It was -40 below windchill at the time and my big 6' 6" son in law had a hard time with his seeing it was first up and not warmed up enough. I had to take over and warm it up for him.
Tough little saws in frozen 10"X10" fine ring grained white spruce .

http://youtu.be/otg2i2DkT1Q

Running a 201T now, came from muffler modded 192T's. They ran good for the money, but I like my 201 much better. Bought it in April 2014.

I'm Tom by the way, great site and discussions you guys have.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'd be very interested to see 346xp top handle as well, HolmenTree, even though I'm a STIHL man!

My new ground saw is all I need.

uja3ebym.jpg

First line is the 200T or a Husky T345. THe husky doesn't have the speed of the 200T but the ergonomics are better. Behind those is The Solo637-good saw for the price but the T345 beats it in handling. I'd like to try a 540 but I have 8 running tophandle saws so I am disinclined to jump on one yet.

True enough... that said, I have NEVER run a bone stock 346.....my first I sold to Eli Kunzmann, who I trained (He won his first TCC), my second was stolen. The third, the first 50cc NE, was wood ported by treesling'r, and was 54% faster than stock... and a match for a stock 440..... it should soon be returned to me, with a new ring and hone, and crank (it broke, a first for me in 39 years of cutting) from mweba (of Arb site and sawhogz.com) who just sent me the brand new 550XP, which has replaced the 346. It's wood ported, but is Auto Tune, and I'm sure it is only 30% faster than stock, and may well be slower than the 346...but I love it....it doesn't fall over when set on a hard surface, or when being filed, like the 346...sips gas, and is a breeze to start, shut off and restart! Video at 11...lolz

<object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/uOhGr0WPIpE?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/uOhGr0WPIpE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>v

Back