Pruning when sap starts running

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I have a gentleman wanting his mature(ish) silver maple trimmed/thinned. The problem is that it’s probably going to bud before I can get to it. The plan is to take 10% of the foliage off and keep the cuts 4” or less. Most of the cuts will be at the tips. I told him that it might not do too much to wind firm it and it would be $1500 but he wants to do it. Anyway, I’d rather not do it this late in the season unless you all think it’s fine. I generally like to wait until dormant season.

Attachments

• IMG_8487.jpeg
    IMG_8487.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
In terms of health, Silver Maples are tough. It is unlikely that there will be any meaningful consequences to pruning at this time of year with elevated sap flow. Reducing branch end weight on those long extending laterals will reduce the risk of branch failure, especially if there is included bark present at those unions. Reduce structurally competing branches in the interior, but if you have branches that are growing into unobstructed open space try to retain them for for wind dampening.

I've always wondered if you could carturize(sp?) a tree wound? Kinda artificially callous the wood. I know that tar gave way to paint, and now common practice is to prune in the cold, with no substance on the cut. I believe the only thing getting a goo is oaks during oak wilt season?

Dunno, most pruning I've done has been at ground level. Deadwooding pines don't count.

Oak wilt is a fungus carried by a bug. Cut/prune on a tree, the tree produces stress hormones, the bug is attracted to said hormones. We prune on oaks in the dormant season generally after the first frost up until when overnight temps are still below freezing for two reasons 1. Lack of bugs and 2. The tree is less likely to produce stress hormones because it is not actively growing. I have taken a torch to fresh cuts on oaks after storm damage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I believe certain areas with oak wilt require painting the cuts to cut off/down the stress hormones attracting the bugs. Not sure if it’s proven effective.

Where did you learn about that?

I've heard of torching for bacterial wetwood, but have no experience, though an interest for my elm.

Back