trees too close together?

bstewert

TreeHouser
These maples will get pretty big, won't they? They seem too close to me. I wonder what look the guy was going for.

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

Yeah...look like Crimson King Norway's to me. About one tree for that space, rather than the 5 in the first 2 pictures would be good....and then spaced along the road, take out every other one and he'll have perfectly good coverage as they mature.

In your wetter climate, he'll have to be sure to remove the leaves in the fall, or suffer the wrath of the powdery mildew.

My opinion...over planted with a poor species selection.

That said, the trees will probably do quite well.

What are those larger trees? Is that their foliage or is their ivy in them?

Yes, left on their own, those trees are planted WAYYYYY too close to eachother. I like to point out to people how thick a truck of a certain species can get then share with them, "in time, you will have a solid wall of tree trunk here." That applies in this case perfectly.

If it was an intentional hedge, however, constant pruning will keep that as a marvelous hedge for a long time. That can't be more than $500 or $1,000 worth of work in the planting and the client will have easily have gotten their $$ worth in that time.

If it's
The ol "Plant a screen and thin it later in life or remove the dead if they fail" plan.....]
then they did a shit job. Planting right at the bases of those bigger trees is dumb (unless the plan is to remove the bigger trees later- who knows)

How did you happen upon these trees?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I live just down the street.

The big trees are firs, with the ivy cut off the bottom few feet. That's what many people do, just only cut the ivy as far as they can reach. Then when the ivy higher up dies, it looks awful for a long time.

The house is brand new, and many of the firs are just a few feet from the roof. Too close for me.

If it were my neighbor I would chat with them VERY gently about it and send them to google to find out for themselves how big those trees'll get eventually. They look newly planted enough that a couple could be craigslisted off

Well he has already disregarded the planting instructions and will likely disregard anything you will have to say. On a side note I have seen yards that were over planted that seem to do well. Seems like a perfect planting situation is what over burdens a lot of species simply because they need help with the wind and precipitation loading. I think he was creating a buffer so he did not have prying eyes and other people looking in on his business.

If he is going for a 'forest motif' and no lawn to mow, they will eventually block any and all light available for any understory growth, unless seriously thinned. Only thing that'll grow under Norways in our area is a bit of moss...

There are so many things on the house, I wouldn't want to even get started talking to the owner. It's better if I just mind my own business. But this is so odd, it jumps out at me every time I go by. Plus nobody is even there yet. I don't know if it's a spec house.

If he is going for a 'forest motif' and no lawn to mow, they will eventually block any and all light available for any understory growth, unless seriously thinned. Only thing that'll grow under Norways in our area is a bit of moss...

Ha, the moss here grows under, over, around and through everything! It's a constant battle.

In some municipalities around here, the arbor laws require replanting of 'x' number of trees for every 'x' amount of tree canopy removed during construction. If it is indeed new construction then maybe the builder is simply trying to abide by the letter of the law. Because the government doesn't enforce the spirit of the law, you must dot every i and cross every t.

Brian, I think you'd like Idaho. There isn't very much in the way of regulations here.

Some plantings are done at the expectation of failure and removal during the maturation process. A section of highway was built here with english oaks planted in a center boulevard at about foot spacing. I talked to the planner and he explained that they expect 3 of 4 trees to need removal over the next 20 plus years, byplanting heavy they get the benefit of foliage and cover in the early years and get to manage the long term benefits from the trees as they outgrow their group situation. Sounds silly to some but I can see some logic in it.

I explain that often Paul. People say the landscape architect must have been an idiot to put all these trees in this yard. When in reality, a landscape installed with only the trees that are intended to be left will look pretty pathetic and sparse in the early years so they over plant with the intention of the owners removing some as they die off or start to crowd each other. All the trees you want to mature may not make it due to weather, disease, pest etc so it is nice to have other trees that can be there in case

Stocking levels for reforestation planting is based on a similar concept. Plant at 8x8 or 10x10, and at 10 or 12 years stand age, thin to something like 13x13 or 15x15. Not to give visual coverage early on, but to allow for planting and early stage mortality.

But in the forests we rememeber to thin.

The fad for landscape architect here is to plant salix alba because they get big real fast and look like something.

But they ALWAYS forget to make sure that there is something else to take over when the salixes are getting too big.

So we get called to "prune" the salixes a bit, because they are taking up too much room.

Trying to prune some 15 foot spindly thing that grows 6 feet a year back and get a decent result is impossible.

Is there a rule of thumb on how close/far trees should be from eachother? I guess it depends on the type of tree too.

Back