Tree safe insecticide

Treeaddict

Treehouser
A customer is wondering what they can use in a cherry blossom tree to kill the ant colony that won’t harm the tree. I explained the whole “ants are secondary” thing. The tree is healthy but there is a small compartment of decay on a central stub. What would you recommend if they insist to rid the tree of the colony? A natural/organic would be preferred but not mandatory.

I don't know much about it, but my first inclination would be diatomaceous earth. That's assuming I was willing to take it on in the first place. I'm getting to a point in my life where I'm not that willing to do dumb shit. It's my way or no way. Everything serves a role, including the ants. The best outcome that can be expected is neutral, and it can only get worse from there.

If you wanted to tell them something that would make them happier, say the ants may keep termites out of the tree. That's a bit of a lie. Ants and termites can coexist if they stay out of each other's way. The rivalry is a bit overstated, but there's an element of truth there.

I would be very cautious of recommending insecticides if you are not a licensed applicator, or do not understand pesticide labels.
There is a lot more to recommending pesticides than what won't harm the tree.
For example: flowering trees, pollinators, label rates, and environmental impacts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking more along the homeopathic route or OTC that he could apply that would be relatively benign.

I suppose the coffe grounds or DE wouldn’t have much of an impact on anything.

There are plenty of OTC insecticides that can negatively affect pollinators and the environment with improper rates, timing, and application.

Again, I would highly suggest understanding pesticide labels before offering any sort of advice.

Back