Tree Work Apps

Eric, is that app a rake in your truck??? :lol:

Oh, you know that trick too? I am looking for something that looks a bit more professional. Yesterday we used a stick, a small log, and a rake handle. Doing stuff like that at a million dollar house makes you look kind of foolish. Luckily our rigging/felling skills made up for it;)

Eric, is that app a rake in your truck??? :lol:

I have a commando, the performance is definitely lower compared to say a Samsung Galaxy but i think it serves most tree guys ok. It is rugged for sure!

I can't say, as I don't have smartphone comparison options. I went for rugged after having speakers and microphones ruined by sawdust, and having resulting frustration for my self and customers not being able to be heard well. I still have the pre-smart phone Gzone that is going pretty strong. I don't know of any problems with it. Erik uses it now. Be keep both phones in on us during work, not in the truck, so its easy to answer from in the tree, covered with sawchips.

There are certainly many features on it that I don't currently use, let alone getting apps. Still exploring it during these last 6 months.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled tree apps programming.

We tested out the Smart Measure app today and it was pretty accurate. Well, accurate enough for us. My partner and I know the length of our pace pretty well (dating back to college when we had mensuration) and we all of the "test trees" were accurate to with in one pace. I would measure the distance to a tree to be felled and my partner would guess the distance based on his paces. He was always right within 5 feet or less. I would then measure the height of the tree before we dropped it and then pace it off after it was on the ground. Again, the accuracy was within about 5-6ft. Pretty good results I thought for a free app. Next time a customer comes out to me and tells me they have a 100ft tall tree, I can politely, and accurately tell them it is actually 60ft.

We tested out the Smart Measure app today and it was pretty accurate. Well, accurate enough for us. My partner and I know the length of our pace pretty well (dating back to college when we had mensuration)

A serious WTF, as I originally read this as menstration.:O:lol:

:D I figured that would happen. I could have called it something else, but hey, thats the official name of the class.

That's a neat application, Eric, also can measure width and distance which I could see being also useful for crane pics. Wonder what the degree of accuracy is? Just wish I had a smart phone. I never really wanted one before seeing this.

Unless it has changed it doesn't work over 100 feet tall and didn't used to be accurate much over 20'

I missed Eric's earlier post about the accuracy he found. Five feet plus or minus could well make a difference when sticking out into a road, hopefully five feet over the fact.

Some of the reviews complained about accuracy but others gave hints how to improve it. Sloped landscapes would be a problem. The fact is that is free and it's good enough for what I want.

At a recent TCIA Expo I was checking out these laser range finders that will measure heights very accurately but they cost several thousand dollars if I recall correctly. This will work for me. It's kind of fun to play around with.

I think the fancy measuring tool I've seen in the past ran about $1,500, more than I could swallow. I just have a hunting range finder that I use, and hey, the company even lets me use it when I go hunting;)

For some reason that measuring app stopped working properly for me...... Dud I guess.

I just found a cool app called Virginia Tech Tree. It has some decent pics and decent descriptions of various trees. It might be nice to use to show customers what certainly an trees look like for planting purposes.

We just got new phones and along with it came $50 in Google play credits. I was going to buy the Dirr app but it appears that it's not for sale on Google. I will get that Taptalk but does anyone else have some other recommendations on paid apps that are really good?

Believe me, those will be on my phone soon enough.

If you don't mind me asking, will you get a cut if I use this credit that I have? I would kind of feel bad if you got nothing.

Yes I should get my regular price per app I assume. It will be google who take the hit on that, but they take 30% on every app I sell so i'm sure they can afford it!

My granddaughter installed a free app on my IPAD that identifies leaves...called LeafSnap. I have yet to use it but apparently you take a pic of a leaf with the ipad and it will tell you all about it. It looks pretty interesting but I don't usually take the ipad out and about with me.

I'll get Rob to down load it and see how it does. Try as I might, I can never seem ID as many trees I as I would like to be able. Might help expedite my learning/memory curve :lol:

Yes I should get my regular price per app I assume. It will be google who take the hit on that, but they take 30% on every app I sell so i'm sure they can afford it!

I am glad you will get your money. Maybe we will buy several to help you and screw over Google.:lol:

Leaf Snap is a great concept, but it doesn't have much info for western trees.

CursedVoyce - the dirr iphone app is good, but like leaf snap, it lacks good info for the California trees.

love
nick

Back