Tree Work Apps

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
In another thread, I saw there are some new and useful apps available. Let's post up any apps anyone has that are useful in our work. Tree ID? Business? Anything we might benefit from having.

Square for credit card processing has work well for us. My Cast lite for radar, Quickbooks Online, and IMBd for settling countless arguments between my partner and me.

No apps are perfect but these work well for us.

I forgot the one that I use the most. It's called Business Calendar. It syncs with Google Calendar so we have all of our appointments, jobs and any openings always available to us. It looks great to a customer who approves and asks when we can show up to do the work and I just reach into my pocket and am able to give them an exact date.

I like Dirrsguide and Leafsnap is ok too. I have been waiting for my card reader for weeks now. ?? Time for a call I guess.

I need some sort of a to-do list. I've been bouncing back and forth between Clear and Reminders. right now I think reminders is best since it is integrated with my calendars and Siri.

I use google maps and Waze every stinking day.

Road Trip LE helps me monitor what kind of gas mileage I am getting.

The weather channel app for obvious reasons.

I'm looking for an app that we can use as a time sheet for all the guys.

love
nick

I have been looking for a tasks list as well. I have one now that I got for free off of Amazon's free app of the day, but it sucks. I wish I could fine one that some how syncs with Google Calendar.

You might want to check out Evernote. You can try out the free limited version, see if you like it. If so, opt for the premium. I've read you can get plugins to sync with gmail and google calendar. It makes it simple to share files, data, pix, notes, etc., etc. across many platforms; laptops, tablets, phones ... even different operating systems.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OlOLXWvaIy0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I loose notes that I take like that. God forbid I loose my phone, and the wouldn't know what to do.

I use Evernote. It's great! I can research stuff at night on the computer, put the info in Evernote, then when I'm ready to make calls the next day, the info is there waiting for me.

Eric, I plan to one day lose my phone. I try to keep all the info backed up somewhere. I am at a point where 90-95% off all the info i could possibly need can be obtained by hopping online somewhere. Don't fret losing the phone, back yo $#!+ up!!!

love
nick

Oh, I take every precaution possible to keep myself protected. I have two of those "find my droid" apps. I also backup my phone to my computer. I actually don't worry so much about loosing my phone but breaking it is a huge concern of mine. I have the Otter Box for my phone but these things are so damn fragile. Someone needs to make a good, contractor grade phone.

I tried the free version. Didn't really like it. Seemed like it as tedious to make the invoices have the info I wanted or to get rid of the info I didn't want.

The concept is amazing, though.

love
nick

I've been chatting up the arbor gold people to see if they will make a way for us to demo their iPad app. Right now, they don't have a try before you buy setup. I wanna make my estimates on the app. I dont mind spending $5 on an app that may be an abysmal failure, but I can't buy in to a whole big expensive system if I don't know of I'll even like it.

love
nick

Yeah, I bought quite a few apps as a few bucks is no biggie to try out. Invoice2go is a little difficult to learn but when you do it is pretty sweet. My secretary roughs out the bid on the computer so I have minimal info to enter when I get there (you need cloud to go also), makes life sweet. Bids look pro, data is at my finger tips so if I get called out to rebid something I can tack on 5% over the phone, save myself a second drive and probably land the job anyway as they liked me well enough to call when they had the money.

2 things I use are BASE, an android app; and Google Forms, an option in Google Docs.

BASE is a crm, customer relationship manager, that syncs my business contacts, sales funnel, business calls, leads etc from my phone to my desktop. You can preset different sales stages for leads i.e. incoming, contacted, bid, scheduled, completed/lost - which are the ones I use. It allows notes, tasks and such to be placed on incoming or outgoing calls to business contacts. Base also offers a web capture for getting customers info, you can use it online postings or on a webpage.

You can use as many or few features as you need and the whole shebang is free; until you use more than 50 current deals. In my case I likely wont use more than 50 anytime soon, once a job is won or lost it is removed from that count.

Google forms is offered through Google Docs. You can create a fillable form, with different nice looking themes. The answers to these questions are then automatically put into a spreadsheet. You can create links for web viewing (no edit), xls downloads (any other format as well, and lots of other publishing options. You can also share editing access with anyone you like.

You can use this for a payroll reporting, expense tracking, location check in, capturing customer info, the options are endless. Anyone with a smartphone or a pc can view the link for the form and input info via a ton of question options (list, multiple choice, drop down, radio, etc)
Here are a few examples:

Payroll Example:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dFRoSnRzSmJMTklmLUVGQ3ZDVlBzY2c6MQ#gid=0

Contact Info Example
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEpDUWpxeHI1ZFdwMDBjUld2SGJnbkE6MA#gid=0

Web View Example (a page that shows the results, updated every 5 minutes.)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AgdhDSgJVv4KdFRoSnRzSmJMTklmLUVGQ3ZDVlBzY2c&output=html

The Google Forms is a great tool, it can really be used for a ton of things and its free!

I just downloaded an app called Smart Measure. I hope to use it to measure the height of trees. I am not looking to measure trees for record keeping but to see if I can drop a tree in a given space. It seems like it will be accurate enough for that purpose. I will test it out on my current job report back. We have 6 or 7 trees to fell in a backyard, some we are going to drop whole and some we have to top out and then drop the butt log. It should be a good test for the app.

How's the performance of that phone. We looked at those before and the salesman said it was one of the lower rated phones for performance. I am not exactly sure what that means because we bought the highest rates phone and it is terrible. I was happy with my Droid phone at first because it was my first smart phone, so now I can't wait to get something that actually works the way it should.

I'm glad this was re-brought up. Here's a couple that I started using more of...

I use Routzy for doing estimates. It's only for the iPad. It's ok. Good, not great.

Tapatalk to peruse the treehouse during the day!

For iPhone, I use the Reminders app a lot. If we need more earplugs or another pole pruner or whatever, I put it in the reminders app in the shopping list. Then later when I'm at Lowes or on Amazon or treestuff.com I just pull up the list and go nuts buying expensive things

Dropbox Click here to get it. It's free and lets you sync folders from your phone, home computer, office, etc. Super handy. It's where we store all our estimates.

TreesPro HD is good for keeping your tree ID skills up to snuff

And I've got one called Kellogg (not the cereal folks) that is from a company that sells potting soil and bagged wood chips and what not. They have a good mulch calculator that helps me quickly determine how much mulch I'll need for a given area.

Eric, is that app a rake in your truck??? :lol:

I have a commando, the performance is definitely lower compared to say a Samsung Galaxy but i think it serves most tree guys ok. It is rugged for sure!

Dropbox is amazing. Syncs automatically, can pull up all of my business files on my phone, and so easy to use. As soon as I take a picture on my phone, it saves automatically to dropbox, and its on the pc immediately.

Back