Neighbors weed smoke makes my yard uninhabitable

davidwyby

Desert Beaver
New renters moved in next door to the west. We like to be outside morning and evening when the weather is nice, which is often. Unfortunately, so do they, and are hardcore weed smokers. The prevailing air movement is from the west 99% of the time.

I don’t care about people smoking weed, would be same if it was cig smoke, and they are in their yard minding their own business….but they have ruined our outdoor life for us…now that we finally got rid of all the neighborhood cats we are allergic to.

Any ideas on diplomatic ways to approach?

Thanks

Conundrum fo sho ... I've had terrible luck in the past telling people what to do , so I skip it whenever possible. Empathy though as I notice the aromas of my neighbors failed septic and cigarettes with the prevailing winds , kinda hate it

Industrial strength fans headed west?:evil:

Back in the days when the Forest Service here in western Oregon had in-house brush disposal crews to clean up logging slash from clearcuts in prep for replanting, they'd make large piles to burn in the rainy seasons...fall or spring. To help those piles burn, they had a bunch of fans powered by air cooled gasoline engines with a small wooden airplane style propeller mounted on the shaft, enclosed in a cage like any table fan in your house, only 4 feet in diameter. They'd have to stake them down to keep them in place, but boy oh boy could those fans stir a breeze!

That would work, but maybe too noisy :D.

Just be straight forward.

Offer that you don't care what they do that doesn't affect you, but what they are doing does affect you.

Ask them if they have any ideas.

People build air filters for forest fires out of furnace filters and a box fan. HEPA likely needed.

Interesting thread for sure, I hope it gets some traction.

I don't have a good answer but what Sean said re being respectful and up front is probably the right idea.

I was having the same general problem with my next door neighbor- he moved in and he normally ran his wood stove verrry smoky, I presume he was cutting back the O2 way too early and when the wind blew our way (about 40% of the time), it was bad, there was smoky smell in our house even with windows closed.

I wasn't sure how to address it but he eventually apparently has stopped using his stove so problem solved for now.

I recently had new neighbors move in up wind with 3 dogs. The smell isn't pleasant. They used to have their dogs scrap in my yard, but I don't think they knew where the property line was, so I told them. They're still up wind of me.

Going over and being diplomatic may help. I don’t know those people. Some are agreeable and try to limit the source of annoyance. Some get off on annoying you more. If they are the later, plant crack or heroin in their vehicle and call the cops (kidding).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I recently had new neighbors move in up wind with 3 dogs. The smell isn't pleasant. They used to have their dogs scrap in my yard, but I don't think they knew where the property line was, so I told them. They're still up wind of me.
On the rare occasions we get an east wind, we get dog crap smell from the other neighbors 5 dogs.

On the rare occasions we get an east wind, we get dog crap smell from the other neighbors 5 dogs.
Maybe the weed can cover the dog smell??

I don’t smoke it and don’t care for being around people who are high but the smell doesn’t bother me. I’d say I very slightly enjoy it. The billiards shop next to our plumbing shop has weed smell emanating from it. It’s so strong that it seems to pass through the cinder block walls. It’s not in the office but the unconditioned storage area so no one is getting a contact high which is good.

I don't have the neighbor problem, and have no issue with people who smoke, but the pot farms can get really bad at certain times of the year. Gives me an instant headache.

I would go about it differently myself. I would wait until there's rain the next day and I'm off, and then when i smelled weed i would head over to say hi. I would mention it politely, and they would likely ask if i wanted a hit, which i would partake. I would then smoke a bunch of their weed, drink all their beer, max out all the food, puke on their carpet, and only then would i start bitching about the dog shit. Shortly after i would leave, and if i smelled it again i would invite friends over and do it all over again. After that they'll be blowing it through tubes with dryer sheets like they're in high school or the crazy neighbor might come over again, and will likely tell the dog guy that he better pick up or you might go there next :lol:

As a life long toker, find a friend who smokes, and have them stay with you for a few days/weeks. Make sure they've got their own stash, and send them over the fence to go smoke with the neighbors, every day, every time they smoke.

Eventually, the happy hippies, will happily smoke in their home, just to keep Joe from hoping the fence and puffing through their bag.

If that fails, you will need...
1 large can of butane lighter fluid
1 ceramic salad bowl
1 pair of wire strippers
1 Five gallon bucket
12ft of light cordage
1 case of paper match books.
1 pair heavy gloves

Place the ceramic bowl in the freezer. Next drill holes or cut slots in the bottom third-two thirds of the bucket, ventilating only the sides and leaving the bottom intact. Tie one end of the cordage off to the handle of the bucket.

Once the bowl is frozen, you'll need to work quickly but carefully, and outside, at night.

Don your heavy gloves and, using the wirestrippers to manipulate the nozzle, empty the butane into the frozen bowl. Place the bowl in the bucket and lower the assembly carefully over the fence. Bonus points for using a long implement to get the bucket closer to their house, than your fence.

Ever used paper matches like fireworks? You tare one off, close the book, then with the match head on the striker strip, flick it like a penny.

Butane is heavier than atmosphere, so it sinks, clings to the ground. It also evaporates around 60°F. It's also used to make Butane Hash Oil, which I assure you, is very illegal for your neighbors to be making in their backyard, in the middle of the night, and they will be evicted, if not convicted. Even Commifornia comes down hard on BHO manufacturing.

And I'm on a new watch list, I'm sure...

Interesting .... the other factor is smell sensitivity which varies in humans much like dogs. When I smell Phillip Morris in my house (summer Ops windows open) , I have asked others if they smell it too ... general answer is no , so

Phillip Morris makes very pungent cigarettes. I smoke Gambler, which is a Republic Tobacco product. It's also a very fine cut pipe tobacco with no Cavendish, and my now-ex wife, who is highly allergic to most cigarette smoke, isn't bothered by my rollies, she thinks she could almost smoke one, that Is if she wanted cancer.

Back