The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 290K
I remember when they talked a few years ago about giving Biscuit anti venom it was 450. Inflation I guess.

I reckon I should start milking rattlesnakes.

Its really hard to watch them "recover" without the antivenom. Their face can get so tight it will split.

It was expensive, but what the hell right? Just as long as the UPS man doesn't run her over now.........

I hear ya jim.

Once spent a bundle on getting a pups leg set at a 24hr animal hospital (goofy lab got tangled in his tie-up and fell down the steps). The vet I brought him to for after-care offered free visits and labor for the duration. He said anyone who would spend that on an unproven dog deserved a break on pricing...good guy.

ha! My guy was an old timer...did house calls and had three offices in different small towns he rotated between. Retired some years ago now.

Jim, how did you know that your pup was bit? Could you see the effects of the poison starting before getting to the vet?

A bite usually occurs to the head or face in a dog. The swelling is immediate.

Oftentimes the bite location is not visible, and there is no real test that I know of. But the swelling is so severe that a person usually figures its a snake.

The swelling can be bad enough that the eyes shut, and the skin can sometimes tear. They drool a lot, but if you catch it early enough the dog is not in a great deal of apparent pain.

I guess the idea is that if your dog's head is twice the normal size and its warm enough for the snakes to be out, they get the anti venom.

Luckily, a dog that is not snake bit will not be killed by a dose if you have guessed wrong. You are only out the 600 bucks!

Glad it turned out ok, Jim.

M and I have on occasion when we had spent some fairly big bucks on one dog or another over the years, said to ourselves how lucky we were to have the financial resources to do so. It would be the most awful thing to have to choose between feeding your kids and mending your dog.

Glad it turned out ok, Jim.

M and I have on occasion when we had spent some fairly big bucks on one dog or another over the years, said to ourselves how lucky we were to have the financial resources to do so. It would be the most awful thing to have to choose between feeding your kids and mending your dog.

That is why I'm so glad my best buddy is a vet.
That scenario will never come up. I'll just cut him some firewood or something.

Wow, this guy was energetic this morning...first frost.

Attachments

• 161024_001.jpg
    161024_001.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 161024_003.jpg
    161024_003.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 39
I met a 230lb mastiff yesterday. Definetly noticeably bigger than my tanky boy. I never have been able to figure his weight as an adult? Now I've placed it around 180 ish?

Looking good Dave. That dog gives off a real good vibe through your pics, like he's a real happy guy.

Took some lovin' to get the happy flag waving regular, but it's most of the time now. Still working on him trusting other people though...that might be a long road, but am seeing some small improvement with those he sees regularly.

He's almost 2 now and is looking a bit more like an adult. Just under 50 lbs.

Great Shot!

oHk2CHf.jpg

Back