The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 290K
Got to have plenty of fiber in your diet. Everybody knows that!

New pup is growing like a weed.
Sure enjoys going to work with the big dogs.

Old Sam is still a handsome fellow, when he puts his mind to posing for the camera :D

P1040879.JPG P1040921.JPG P1040891.JPG P1040880.JPG P1040910.JPG

Well, my new pups are doing fine. I am quite pleased with them at this point, they are crate trained, and are showing some protection instincts. I would suggest the English Shepherd breed to anyone.

The little one, Miss, rides with me and the bigger one, Trixie, likes to stay on the porch and guard the house. They are taking well to the teachings of Rand, Stig.

We are thinking about getting some more dogs now. I think I finally have my wife convinced to buy some sheep. Nothing serious, 300-350 or so.

To protect them from coyotes and stray dogs we are going to buy some guard dogs.

These dogs will stay with the sheep 365 days a year, doing their job. There has been great success up here with guard dogs, easily paying for them selves in the first year.

The two breeds we are looking at are related somewhat. They are Great Pyrenees, and Akbash. Both breeds weigh about 140 pounds but have sort of different styles of guarding.

The Great Pyrenees is nocturnal and stays amongst the sheep, the Akbash is constantly patrolling the perimeter, so apparently they work well teamed up like that.

We will probably buy three dogs, at 850 delivered from Billings. There is a breeder down there that has been raising them for 25 years. Not sure what combo of breeds yet.

Interesting note:

When you first get the dogs you lock them and the sheep together in a pen that they cant get out of for 72 hours at least.

At the end of that time, the dogs will never leave that herd till it is too old to do its job.

The breeder says that if his dogs leave the herd after that, he will replace them for free.

That cool Jim.

I'm getting an Australian Shepard to help me with my cows. I hope I can get him to just push them away from the gates when I take my tractors thru.

Cool! Dogs with jobs are happy dogs. Unless they're lazy mastiff crosses like mine, then they're cool with unemployment.

New guy started today, I told him that if your lunch is in the van and accessible Charlie will eat it.

Yeah yeah he says, it's in the bag, no problems.

He went hungry, Charlie did not.

Well, my new pups are doing fine. I am quite pleased with them at this point, they are crate trained, and are showing some protection instincts. I would suggest the English Shepherd breed to anyone.

The little one, Miss, rides with me and the bigger one, Trixie, likes to stay on the porch and guard the house. They are taking well to the teachings of Rand, Stig.

We are thinking about getting some more dogs now. I think I finally have my wife convinced to buy some sheep. Nothing serious, 300-350 or so.

To protect them from coyotes and stray dogs we are going to buy some guard dogs.

These dogs will stay with the sheep 365 days a year, doing their job. There has been great success up here with guard dogs, easily paying for them selves in the first year.

The two breeds we are looking at are related somewhat. They are Great Pyrenees, and Akbash. Both breeds weigh about 140 pounds but have sort of different styles of guarding.

The Great Pyrenees is nocturnal and stays amongst the sheep, the Akbash is constantly patrolling the perimeter, so apparently they work well teamed up like that.

We will probably buy three dogs, at 850 delivered from Billings. There is a breeder down there that has been raising them for 25 years. Not sure what combo of breeds yet.

We really love our akbash pyrenees mix Sampson. He has really done his job with the herd. The coyotes really keep outside the fence. As do the large cats and bear. He's a big boy at just a year or so old.

I looked at that breed too Jay. I wonder how much handling they need? My friend has Pyrenees, and he does nothing with them. They live with the sheep every day.

Thats right Stephen. I forgot that you got Samson a while back. He was already a horse in those pics of him inside the house!

How does he do with the family and other pets?

My friend has to lock his Pyrenees up when he uses his stock dogs to move his sheep. Thats odd to me because he never goes anywhere without at lest 4 English Shepherds. I would have thought they would have imprinted by now.

He can be a little rough on the little kids. Size. He is a puppy and likes to play. I have had to intervene on that a bit. Let him know that jumping up is NOT ok.
fine with the other dogs. Except we keep them separated a bit. The other dogs had bad habits of running the stock too hard. He was picking up those habits. He really loved puppy time with Daisy. Daisy is part cattle dog part rottweiler. About the only way we could wear her out. But again, she had some issues we already had from her mom, Lucy.
Most wont run a herding dog with guardians. Guess it becomes problematic.
Sampson is very insistent when bed time is for the critters. He kind of herds them where he wants them for the night so he can keep an eye. Funny to watch when one of the goats wanders off a bit... :lol:

One of our new English Shepherd puppies, Trixie, was bitten in the face by a rattlesnake today.

Took her to town along with a cow that needed an eye cut out.

600 dollar anti-venom shot and she seems to be on the mend.

She is happy to be home. We have to check her gums for color and she needs some steroids tomorrow.

We will take her back if she starts going downhill.

So far I can recommend the anti venom. Biscuit was bitten twice and neither time was she given anti venom, just steroids.

'Makes recovery, if there is going to be recovery, very long and painful.

Rattlers around even after that snow last week??

Glad your puppy is doing well

Back