Removing & Dumping Debris / Procedures and Fees

We did some work in a neighboring town a few weeks back, had a full trailer of wood/raking from a yard clean up we were doing, and had to go to a big dump there. Lets just say I'm never going back there. Took me a good 15 minutes of driving around there just to find where to dump, ended up hailing down a guy in an excavator moving a bunch of trees around where they are expanding the landfill, said just dump it where he's piling stuff up. Cost us $76 or so, told us on the phone it'd be $50, we were like wtf.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have never paid a penny to dump. Billy works on the west side of Cleveland there are 3 dumps by his yard, he went to the owner of the one closest to his yard and told him that while he liked dumping there it was the least convenient (a white lie) He now gets paid $5 per full load of chips and $7 if he drives it all the way to the back of the dump. In fact he gets prepaid now $70 and after he drops 10 loads...another $70

The guys in NEOhio recycle that stuff into mulch like gangbusters.

http://www.jtoinc.com/Recycling.htm

http://cleveland.ohiomulch.com/

mulch_zoom.jpg

I chip almost everything, because I get paid for chips at the local biomass powerplant.

Any kind of solid wood that is any good for firewood I give to a poor friend, unless it is too far a drive to his place.
On most private jobs we are told to cut the wood into firewood size pieces and leave it behind. This is a cold country, eveybody wants firewood:)

Hedge trimmings and stuff like that goes on the burnpile on my property unless it is huge amounts, then I take it to the dump, which cost pr. delivered tonnage. Ground up stumps go to the dump as well.

What I don't get is: Why compost them, when you can turn them into POWER????

Silly European that's what coal and oil are for. We use biomass to cover the roots of our trees, kill them and in turn make more biomass. Duh

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

We have a mulch company less than 2 miles from our shop that takes everything for free. They even buy logs to sell as firewood. Great people to do business with.

We have been talking a lot about debris removal and dumping and such... Whats it like where you live.

Here in NE Ohio we have quite a few big dumps. All of them are free for chips and logs. One of the places we frequent wont take mixed logs and chips which is a PITA and there is only one place that can/will remove large crane wood off of a trailer. They use a huge excavator with a grapple.

I will take some pictures of our dumps to post later.

One of the dumps had a fire for most of the spring that seemed like several but "was just one that wouldnt go out" according to the guys that run the loaders.

I have heard that some places charge to dump wood and chips? Is it by the load, yard or what?
I know this thread is a few pages deep but all of my dumping is free. I have a list of twenty or so guys with OWB's and they take everything I can give them aside from my own firewood needs. For chips I have two places one guy is a tree man who owns a tub grinder and sells mulch and the other is a place called Compost Management and they take it all for free just as long as it is clean green waste.
If anybody is working up in this neck of the woods shoot me a PM and I will get you directions.

I mulch with a bunch of my chips at home, give some to my neighbor, school garden, local exotic feline rescue shelter, HOs, commercial mulch operation.

Wood stays onsite, comes to my house for processing, goes away on the grapple truck for sale as firewood (even exchange, some winch skidding and loading for logs to go away), goes to the mill, or gets added to my pile for a Woodmiser to come over to my house.

The municipal dump charges by the ton for green waste, which they grind up, along with construction debris, so possibly for hog fuel for electricity production.

Rarely do I pay for any disposal, aside from two large yardwaste bins that I have at my house with biweekly pick-up which I use mostly for dirty rakings that won't get chipped, and I don't want mixed in with my mulch. Sometimes, it makes sense to take the bins to the jobsite, as they are wheeled, and are container and mover in one.

Here I pay $100 to get rid of a load of chips if I can't find a home owner to take it for free. When we do pickup truck jobs it costs about $25 for a pickup load of branches. Dump is about a 4 minute drive from my house/shop.

Yah wow. Wood if it's useless is $20/tonne to dump at the landfill here. Chips are $2.50/tonne but I have a free dump spot on my route home so that's where they go.

Nick call around to some local berry farms. I have a guy locally that will take all the chips I can deliver. He is fifteen miles away so he only gets ten or so yards per week, but he is very happy. Blueberries love the chips and I love the Blueberries.

It all depends on where you look and effort looking to find homes for chips and logs IMO

Thats awesome... Send us some pictures of the next burn! Or maybe it would make a great GTG!

We finally got some rain, so I set 'er off this morning. First two pics are about 10 minutes after lighting. Others are about 30 minutes after lighting.

914fcbf7.jpg

0f7de955.jpg

6b1e741f.jpg

269339c2.jpg

11aaa93a.jpg

Craig's List is a great, free way to line up a list of chip and wood disposal options.

I have just told people that they will be put on a list for chip drops if we are working in their neighborhood. I'll call if we have some to see if they need some. If so, just have them clearly mark out where they want them, after explaining what I need in terms of a dump location (minimal cross-slope, no wires overhead, width).

I've sold chips for mulch this way, too.

When my chipper was down and I was working solo, I took down a really good sized Atlas Blue Cedar. I hand-trucked loadable sized limb wood downhill to the street where people could come and get it without coming on the private property. A lot went away fast without me having to buck it up. The rest of the brush went on the grapple truck, along with the logs. The machine saved me tons of work, and was well worth the money.

A guy around here with a 30 yard end-dump grapple truck gets around $250-300 a load, and can take brush, logs, and stumps.

This is one of our dumps

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1341697175059.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341697175059.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 48
  • uploadfromtaptalk1341697196972.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341697196972.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 48
  • uploadfromtaptalk1341697215256.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341697215256.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 49
  • uploadfromtaptalk1341697234166.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341697234166.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 46
Nice burn pics there, Scott.

My closest dump, for one ton of wood debris, with the current exchange rate, a measly $240. I usually make other arrangements. Rice fields are great places to burn, but they have clamped down unless you are a farmer. Oh, how we once put out smoke.

Here is a quick tour or our local mulch facility MRLM. They started out as a tree service and eventually sold the tree division to Davey.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LobzPWgkOTo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is from early in the season when they were really keeping on top of it. Right now the chip piles are huge and there is a log pile as big as my apartment building.

Back