Removing & Dumping Debris / Procedures and Fees

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
We have been talking a lot about debris removal and dumping and such... Whats it like where you live.

Here in NE Ohio we have quite a few big dumps. All of them are free for chips and logs. One of the places we frequent wont take mixed logs and chips which is a PITA and there is only one place that can/will remove large crane wood off of a trailer. They use a huge excavator with a grapple.

I will take some pictures of our dumps to post later.

One of the dumps had a fire for most of the spring that seemed like several but "was just one that wouldnt go out" according to the guys that run the loaders.

I have heard that some places charge to dump wood and chips? Is it by the load, yard or what?

The right dump can make or break a treeco. The best one would be on your land, if you have that type of property.

Here in Orlando the county dumps are $33 per ton so that's not viable except for possibly palm fronds. Closest dump gets $4 per yard for wood and $8 per yard for brush or chips (they don't want your chips). My cheap dump about 20 miles away is $3 per yard for wood or brush but they don't want your chips, either. Most of the guys I deal with have access to private land for dumping chips and one guy is pretty good at hustling them in brown town (giving them away as mulch). I'm glad I don't mess with that aspect of the job other than hauling the occasional load of wood with my trailer. I have a firewood guy that will take clean oak for free, otherwise I pay the $45-$60 to dump it.

I rent land on a farm to run my business. I have since day one. I have a dump on the farm. It's a few acres large. Once a year I hire in a dozer to push all of the waste over a bank. Clean chips I can always get rid of close to any job. We dump rakings, mixed loads, and pine and rotted logs in my dump. I allow another tree service or 2 to dump in my dump if they are very close by. Only on occassion though.

I can dump chips and logs for free only if they're mixed. Logs alone are $30 a load no matter how big. These guys recycle everything (green) and make great money doing it.

city run green waste dump here is $68 metric ton, 1000kgs or 2200 lbs. Municipal run contract green waste dump is near $80/ metric ton with a $20 minimum between 10AM and 2 PM (their prime time). As a resident I sometimes get the 100kg (220 lbs) free dump but if I have my signs on the truck its rare. For the pruning and other work I do I would say I average about $6-$10 daily for dump costs. I know of tree companies that have deals with farmers for chip dumping, they use them to improve their field roadways or mulch their crops.

Our dump is private run and takes chips for free. Everything else costs $$$, I'm not sure how much though, since we try to chip everything, Will even rip rounds in half to fit them in the BC1800 xl. We don't make it to the dump very often though...only if we chip lots of bushes and it doesn't make nice chips and we can't give them away. Our dump is about 11 miles from town so we try not to drive out that far.

Our dump charges $55.00 per ton on organics. So I have places I can dump chips or wood for free, people that will pay for clean chips (no poison oak) and places on my property I can compost the chips and burn slash.

My corporate client is opening a biomass burner. If it turns out we can sell chips by the van load to them. I was thinking an 18 inch chipper and a conveyor to load a chip van would be a nice money maker. They are about 1/2 mile from our shop. Depending on the price per ton I might buy an old beater truck to move the trailer or trailers.

Yes Brian, as often as I can I chip on top of logs. It can be tough taking down trees from the bottom up though:lol:

IN Bermuda its $65-85 for the trucker per load and $25 per load at the dump, so $90-110 for up to a 6yd truck. So we pack those loads let me tell you, chop em down with a machete or a chainsaw, jump on them and start again! Branches stuffed like posts down the side of the bed, and keep going up boyo...

In Tasmania its $15 per load, like a pickup truck...and you have to check which tip is open near your job. I have a farmer friend who's given us a place to dump for free, and a lot of the larger properties will give you a spot somewhere to dump so they can burn it later.

The only landfill here in my county charges $40/ton for debris. The neighboring county's landfill (where I work mostly) does not take tree refuse, or so I've been told. I have to bring mine home with me. My wife despairs of my dumping it out front, but it makes for a great bonfire, from time to time. If it doesn't rain soon, we're gonna have a heckuva bonfire when we have the next one!

I try to dump the wood toward the road so my dad can pick through it and get what he wants and then I push up and burn the rest with the brush. The pile is currently about 80' long, 20' to 30' wide, and about 10' tall at the highest point.

fe9a34bc.jpg

fb78b60d.jpg

No landfill dumps around here for years now, all transfer stations. $195 a metric tonne for any green waste and $256 for palms, I stopped doing palms a couple of years ago except for the odd one for old clients.

I chip as much as I can and usually get rid of chips for free. Any wood I don't want I put out the front and it goes pretty quick, especially if I cut it up small and split it.

That's only for stuff that doesn't burn too well.:/:

Price list. http://www.sita.com.au/media/publications/120627_Waste_Charges_Brochure_July_Web.pdf I use the Seven Hills one when I really have to.

$25 to dump per load 15yard box on the lightning loader. They recently got a contract for supplying chips to Gru for power so no dumping if they think there is a hint of dirt. When near home I have a sink hole that never minds what goes in. Chips come home for the most part.

No FD out here. Nearest one is 5 miles away, and it's all volunteer. It's wonderful living out in the sticks!

I have a regular dump that charges $15/ton for green waste and$44/ton for palm. Another charges $8/load no matter what it is, Another is free but only wants chips. Will take a mixed load though.

Used to be able to dump for free wood and chips out on this guys farm, he has a big burn pile. Same guy I did work for part time tho, and ever since I told him how it was and quit we haven't really been out there. No skin off our back tho.

Chips aren't tough to get rid of here, we have a number of people who will take them, and a place in town takes them for free, no matter the amount. Same place will take wood up to 28-30", but anything bigger than 24" has to be cut in 2ft long sections. They only charge $10 for our dump trailer load, and $20-$30 for the big chipper truck full of wood, so I'm not complaining about it. The only thing we have trouble getting rid of is larger trunk wood, anything above 30" really. Same goes for a buddy of ours in town, they have the same problem.

Really I'd like to look into getting a lot a few years down the road, at least a place where we can drop the bigger trunk sections.

Back