Chuck and Duck

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I’ve been curious and can’t seem to find information on the interweb…….

Can a c&d handle larger limbs like 6-8” ? How does the drum or disc keep rpm?

Not really. I have a 12" and it'll do maybe 5" if it's green depending on the species. If it has a hydraulic feed it will, but then it's not a cnd anymore. You have to feed it in smaller bites, and if you shim up the anvil it'll do even better. Chipping logs actually takes up more room than transporting logs whole, so the stuff that doesn't chip easily just gets thrown on top for me.

The throat opening is not the effective capacity.

Mine is 9x16". Likes to chip 6-7".
5" all day.
Never tried to put in a max diameter.

I run it at 40-50% speed for hand feeding. 80-90% when stuffing it with the mini loader.
318 cubic inch, v8 powered.

Bigger limbs clear the smaller bits left on the tray. Some people try to get every bit fed, for some reason.

Green limbs help carry dead limbs more easily. I've definitely copied only dead. Sometimes, tip first feeding of dead limbs is easier.

I fed from the rear sometimes, I always teach people to fed from the side.

Keep it sharp.

Considerably lighter for its power and capacity than a hydraulic feed chipper.

Shape and species is very market- specific. A lot of my trees are somewhat straight. Neglected fruit trees' materisl is the hardest of my material to feed. Doug- fir, maple, alder, other conifers, etc are ready to feed.

Tray height is higher than a disc chipper... raise the tongue. I have a 5 place Gen-Y tall raise-hitch receiver, with raise-slug that I can use at jobsites, while using a low slot on the receiver for towing. Full strength upward and downward.
1706460231716.png

CnD is a good tool for the right app.

I'll chime in and say I don't miss getting my face whipped a couple times/week :|:

That's usually operator error. I wear short sleeves to teach people, and long sleeves and a visor, normally.

Full face screens are a good layer of PPE, behind safe techniques as the principle layer. Trying to hand limbs to a CnD / Throw and go is the main problem.

Large limbs are set on the tray and fed from the rear, by the tips. The limb quickly runs away from the operator.

Never a hydraulic leak or autofeed issue.

When the drum slows down, it grabs limbs less forcefully.

I use my grapple to hold back on big piles. I've spun my mini 45⁰ when there was a lot of loose material under the tracks.

CnDs are less forgiving of dull blades.

My blades are clamped in like a planer, with a hexagonal anvil.
A bit harder to change than a modern chipper.

Worth about as much in inflation adjusted dollars as 17 years ago, when I bought it.

It's a simpler tool than an auto feed one, very very effective at its designed purpose which is chipping brush. Yeah a much bigger chipper designed to eat large portions of a tree in one gulp is a much more costly and productive machine, but a chuck and duck is still a very viable way to turn branches into something more compact and easy to transport. They're a safe and efficient tool, especially if you understand that knife and anvil maintenence and adjustment are the name of the game. Also remember that like bucket trucks they are universally seen as what's expected of a tree company, but they aren't the most efficient way to remove trees and their debris. Massive grapple loaders on massive trucks and trailers are a far more productive and speedy way to remove material, no chipping at all on location just smash it into a box as fast as the machine can cycle, basically the stack and slash technique on steroids. Outfits that roll like that often have a large tub grinder come and chip everything at the yard, or simply leave it to rot if they have the room, a completely different outlook on the job. Most municipalities around here run at that level, running dump trucks loaded at the job by an excavator.

I've always wondered if an old compacter style garbage truck would do that job. Much like the trucks that deliver septic tanks would be good for picking up trunk wood. But I'm cheap, and always looking for other ways to use equipment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've always wondered if an old compacter style garbage truck would do that job. Much like the trucks that deliver septic tanks would be good for picking up trunk wood. But I'm cheap, and always looking for other ways to use equipment.
I’ve very frequently thought about a garbage truck!!! Load everything sideways and let the blade scoop it up. Use the compactor feature in the body to compress the debris. Easy to dump and push out the waste as well.

I saw a Monkey Puzzle once. I posted here about it. It was that guy that collected trees. I'm not sure he realized how big they can get due to his placement near the walk and house. It was a cool looking tree though. Very eye catching, especially for around here.

Honey locust, not even that thorny but crooked corkscrew like limbs that are strong and don’t break easy. Whip the shit out of ya! Chuck it and you might as well hit the dirt by the tongue for safety.

I started with a Mitts and Merrill cnd. 351 Windsor and a 10” capacity. Back then we didn’t have equipment to drag brush for us so chipping that big wasn’t really an option. We did wrestle some 8” tops to it one time. You would throw it on and then dive on the tips rotate the butts up away from the anvil to keep it from stalling. Pin oak and hawthorn are no fun either. And when the blades would get dull, that’s when you would get a dead elm tree.
Then when I started doing a lot of side work we bought an old ashplundth chipper. That thing was smaller but scarier. It had straight blades instead of staggered and would make a 20’ limb disappear before you could get away.
The boss said he’s going to buy another one as a back up machine. I know he’s just saying that as a threat but I really wish that everyone in tree work would get to experience the pleasure of them.

Back