Oregon chain compared to others

At the time it sold about 1000 times more units than competition here.
A whopping 6000 units first 10 years! Cost was about 3 years salary for a logger at the time.

Jay funny you mention barb wire relating with cutting chain. As history goes a farmer and trained millwright James Shand from Manitoba, Canada obtained a patent on his homemade sawchain in 1918. An idea he got after some barbwire his team of horses were pulling had cut through a 7" oak fence post.
He fitted cutting teeth on his son's bicycle chain, a guide bar was built to support it much like our guide bars today and then powered it with a flexable Bowden cable driven by a one cylinder gas engine. He used this saw at Manitoba Bridge Works and in 1919 he took 2 working models to British Columbia, hoping to find interested manufacturers. But no interest was found because its 24" bar was too short for west coast logging.
Shands chainsaw patent with diagrams is still on display today at the Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Willard.
I found this little writeup of James Shand from Dauphin, Manitoba Canada.

Willard. scan.jpg

Makes you wonder what powered it and how it was transferred...

PS. Please send this to Wayne S. Have him get a good look at this chain.
I think he will get a kick out of it.

Competision was tuff at the time.
A lot of inventors had ideas that was a bit to far advanced and the industry had just gotten used to the idea of a hand held engine powered saw

Makes you wonder what powered it and how it was transferred...

PS. Please send this to Wayne S. Have him get a good look at this chain.
I think he will get a kick out of it.
From what little info I have, like the Swedish sector saw Shand's saw was powered by a 1 cylinder gas engine and a flexable cable. Shand's cable was called a Bowden cable.
I'm gonna find more info on this saw. There are still some Shands here in Manitoba. There is a vast ammount of information at the University of British Columbia also.
Wouldn't Wayne Sutton love to have this saw in his chainsaw museum.

Willard.

This should be posted for all to enjoy in collectors forum.
Sector had two cylinder engine. It had first shaft shaft, next it had a pipe with cable in it. Not sure if the Latest could have flexible cable, I haven't seen it in documents or saws yet.

You are correct Stephen. From looking at the fat depth gauges and round edged side links those Ahlborn chains are Carlton.

Willard.

What do you think of this?
It came with a Jo-Bu L81.

IMG_2916.JPG

Question: Do the Laser presets and tie straps work with the Oregon chains?

Just guessing I am going to say yes because I had a race chain once that appeared to be a combination of both.

Just dont want to buy a bunch and then they dont work.

What do you think of this?
It came with a Jo-Bu L81.

IMG_2916.JPG
Very nice smooth cutting chain,[.058] Oregon 77 LG 3/8" chisel chain. First introduced in 1982 and stopped production in the 1990s. I field tested the very first prototypes. I cut alot of pulpwood with this chain on my Jonsered 630. On my Stihls I used their similar chain the 33TS [Topic Super].
Cut4fun will love to have this chain for racing purposes. Full size 70 series cutters replacing the 77 LG cutters.
Saw racers figured this out way back when this little chain first came out.
Willard.

Not sure, it depends on a few things: The size (diameter and thickness) of rivet, the holes in drivelink/sideplate and hight of sideplate.
It is not a universal thing, eash rivet/sideplate is to each chain although Oregon is getting closer to a standard for all in same type of chain.

Very nice info, Willard!
I see it is for sale in internet stores in US. So it must be some old stock being emptied.
Any chance you have a sales brochure on this?

Not sure, it depends on a few things: The size (diameter and thickness) of rivet, the holes in drivelink/sideplate and hight of sideplate.
It is not a universal thing, eash rivet/sideplate is to each chain although Oregon is getting closer to a standard for all in same type of chain.
The conversion worked very well. 72- 73-75 LP or LG cutters fits on the smaller 77LG chassis. With this setup you have a much lighter chain, alot more chip clearance and better chip flow with a full sized 3/8" cutter. Unlike modifing a fullsized 73 chain chassis where the straps and drive links are ground down smaller weakening the chain. The already much smaller 77LG chassis strength is keep because no grinding on it is needed. A chain's drive links are "shot peened" in the factory and the entire drive links surface is under compression. As soon as you grind that surface down strength is reduced greatly.
As I posted earlier on another thread. In 1989 Stihl made up 50 loops of their 33TS 3/8" with the full sized 33RS cutters installed on them. I put these loops out for testing in a couple of northern Alberta logging camps that winter. I quit working for Stihl shortly after and never saw the results of the test.
Magnus I got brochures of the 76-77LG somewhere, it was introduced the same time as the 72-73-75LG.

Willard

Cut4fun will love to have this chain for racing purposes.
Saw racers figured this out way back when this little chain first came out.
Willard.

No not me Willard. I lost the passion to race and decided after Webster event this year and missing 2 races in a row afterwords to hang it up.
I had fast enough saws, I just admitted to myself that I wasnt a good enough operator to run with the young guns. Heck my cold start alone was handicapping me .5 slower or more against the good average guy of 1 and the top dogs at .7
Plus my change overs wasnt robot like and tight. So again more time lost.

I had fun and and met some great people. Thats all that matters and the experience of it. 8)

Oh on another note. I did find 15' of new 76LG chain and about 25 new presets. :lol::lol:

No not me Willard. I lost the passion to race and decided after Webster event this year and missing 2 races in a row afterwords to hang it up.
I had fast enough saws, I just admitted to myself that I wasnt a good enough operator to run with the young guns. Heck my cold start alone was handicapping me .5 slower or more against the good average guy of 1 and the top dogs at .7
Plus my change overs wasnt robot like and tight. So again more time lost.

I had fun and and met some great people. Thats all that matters and the experience of it. 8)

Oh on another note. I did find 15' of new 76LG chain and about 25 new presets. :lol::lol:
Your never too old to race. Here is Sven Johnson well into his 60s with his CanAm 250cc bikesaw, yes coldstart included.

Willard.
scan0001.jpg

I watched a guy in his 80's or 90's at Chardon.

Reflexes man reflexes aint there for me. Yeah anyone can race, but to be competitive with the people I was going against is a total different ball game and when it just isnt FUN anymore, it's time to walk JMO.

Plus the final straw came with my son playing high school football Thu and Sat this year as a Frosh and JV. Only 4 more years at home and I am going to savor them.

090and78yearoldoperator.jpg

Sven is better at his worst day in his age today than many ever will be at their prime!

Racing is much more than just fysical strength and fast saws.

Kevin.
To stop as you do when it isn't fun any more is the way to go, I believe.
If it isn't fun the extra needed won't be there to learn and get forward.
Better to quit in time and perhaps get back to it later or just enjoy from the side.

Webster W Va ,Chardon Ohio and the Ohio championships at the Paul Bunyan show are most likely the toughest competition to be found on the east coast if not the entire USA .

It takes a lot of time not to mention money to be in a competative position at those events .

Having ran at two of those events while I did enjoy it I too realize I just got into it a little late in life .

GTG's can be a lot of fun though .The climbing types of course want to shinney up trees and we gear heads fiddle with saws and generally chew the fat so to speak .It's all good though:)

Back